• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SxS Rifle collection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard of one guy that talked to his outfitter and the guy assured him that he black powder. Once he got there he had a subsitute. I always figured I would have them take a picture of the can and send it to me.

Fleener
I would think that could be a very costly mistake. Some of these safaris are 25-70K and with a 20% tip, that could be a very costly mistake for an outfitter. As for me, depending where I was going and what I was using, a substitute might not be something I was bothered with if that was all that was available and I knew about it ahead of time.

Is that the Pedersoli 20 gauge double flint shotgun in the front of the picture? If so what do you think of it?
That is actually a Kodiak .63, but I do also have the 20 Ga Deluxe double flint. They look the same and are beautiful. I just got the 20 gauge in the last month and have not shot it yet. Its first on my list to try and if it patterns like I hope, may use it for turkey hunting this spring.

That is actually a Kodiak .63, but I do also have the 20 Ga Deluxe double flint. They look the same and are beautiful. I just got the 20 gauge in the last month and have not shot it yet. Its first on my list to try and if it patterns like I hope, may use it for turkey hunting this spring.
I got to handle one yesterday that wasn’t for sale.

Per New Hampshire's original question on whether other folks use double barrel rifles for hunting .... Years ago, in Pennsylvania I checked with a game warden who told me that by removing the second nipple, I was OK. So I hunted with one disabled barrel for years, but was never checked . I have not checked with New Hampshire since moving there as I am now too old to hunt. ... I collect primarily over under double barrel percussion guns, but have also hunted with my side by side barreled varieties. Note that many of the original double barrel guns that were produced in the later part of the percussion period on the East Coast were made as "combination guns" with a rifle barrel and a smooth rifle (for ball or shot)
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 9.08.06 AM.png

Per New Hampshire's original question on whether other folks use double barrel rifles for hunting .... Years ago, in Pennsylvania I checked with a game warden who told me that by removing the second nipple, I was OK. So I hunted with one disabled barrel for years, but was never checked . I have not checked with New Hampshire since moving there as I am now too old to hunt. ... I collect primarily over under double barrel percussion guns, but have also hunted with my side by side barreled varieties. Note that many of the original double barrel guns that were produced in the later part of the percussion period on the East Coast were made as "combination guns" with a rifle barrel and a smooth rifle (for ball or shot)View attachment 285780
That is just one hell of a sexy picture right there!

I have an over/under .50 ASM I have deer hunted with , no success so far but will continue the quest next year..
Also have two sxs shotguns that I did succeed with this past season.

Is that the Pedersoli 20 gauge double flint shotgun in the front of the picture? If so what do you think of it?
so here is the the .63 and the 20 gauge. As you can see they really look the same

Attachments

• IMG_8851.jpg
    IMG_8851.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8852.jpg
    IMG_8852.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8853.jpg
    IMG_8853.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8854.jpg
    IMG_8854.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8855.jpg
    IMG_8855.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8856.jpg
    IMG_8856.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 0
My dad always hunted with an old LCSmith sxs shotgun. I told him once I was in the market for an over and under. He said if God had wanted us to shoot over and unders, he would have made us with one eye over the other.! Hard to argue with. I can’t afford a double rifle, but I still use a sxs for birds and small game.

My old neighbor had been on several safaris with muzzleloaders but unfortunately, he's gone now so I can't ask him about the black powder.

Half the fun of a hunt is the planning and preparing. My safari this June is with My bow, but I do not know how muck longer I can pull back the required poundage for dangerous game. So planning for the future, I am going to start testing rifles and loads at the range and plan on some bear and deer hunting this year maybe even a Bison, with the sxs muzzleloader. All Kodiaks, here is a deluxe Flintlock in .63, Safari express in .72, the MKVI in 50, 54, and 58 and the MKIII in 50 54 and 58. I am also retrofitting hard cases for all my rifles and shotguns. I wish I could find cases already made to accept a broken down SXS muzzleloader. Has anyone else hunted with a SXS?
May I come to your house to play, pretty please with sugar on top?
P.S. I am available for adoption.:ghostly:

Here is an original Alexander Henry .451 double rifle. I also have a couple .58 cal contemporary ML doubles. Hunting with an original is more enjoyable for me. Kinda like hunting behind my Epagneul Breton.

The tough thing with hunting in remote areas is getting powder. I recently went on a musk ox/caribou hunt up in Nunavut, but was not able to get black powder so could not use a ML.

I would strongly caution anyone taking cartridges and loading them with black powder to circumvent flying with black powder.

Fleener
I did not hear anyone mention flying with black powder
He mentions a long lead time for his hunt , so shipping is a solution.
By the way he mentioned looking into possibility of PH obtaining powder.

Blitz

Others suggested loading cartridges with BP and pulling the load once you get there.

Fleener

What a fun thread. New Hampshire, I assume you have read Ned Roberts's account of his bear hunt with his Uncle Alvaro near Campton, NH, in September of 1880. They both used double rifles -- his uncle, a .45 Billinghurst, and Ned a .44 Reed. Page 179 of "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle," 1958, Stackpole.
Art, that Henry double is simply astonishing. You have been holding out on us! :cool:
My only experience is with the Mark III Kodiaks in .58 and .72. They gave me a lot of satisfaction but I never hunted with either.

Latest posts

Back