• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My story..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHsmoke

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have been hunting for most of my 34 years. Times have changed since I was a young boy stalking small game with my Marlin model 60, a pocketful of CCI stingers and a cheap Tasco scope. I have moved through more of the gun/caliber fad's than I care to admit. Countless dollars spent in the chase for the best energy, the longest reach etc. Even the places I hunt have changed. Gone are the days where I could walk anywhere with a rifle in my hands and legally hunt. Population increases, political tomfoolery, the rising and falling of animal numbers. All have influenced me in my gear, my weapons and how I hunt.

Now as a father I find I have the desire to be in the woods more, and to enjoy them with my sons. I also have come to realize enjoying those times usually means me doing very little but watching them discover and learn. The focus is no longer on me, and it's been a very great relief to me. No longer do I chase for things, and have learned now what just works. Simple is better and getting my mind to realize that is a huge step toward enjoying the woods again. I have to admit at times I had just become tired of feeling I needed more of this or more of that. That I couldn't hunt in a "proper" fashion without this gadget or this doohickey. I'd be willing to bet I was not alone in that feeling.

This October when deer season starts for Muzzleloader in NH, it will mark the beginning of a new start for me also. Gone are the smokeless powder rifles and scopes. Replaced by a slightly used Cabelas Hawken I got for a song (under $100 with powder, balls, patches, caps etc.) and a very poorly executed dance. No longer will I be hamstrung by shotgun only areas, I will enjoy a longer season for hunting here in NH with my frontstuffer. For the first time in years I am excited to hit the woods and take in the sights and sounds and not worry about what I am carrying and what my hunting partners will think of my super magnum 1000 yard deer cleaver.

After working with this rifle I have settled on a pretty common loading of 80grains of BP and the "poor" killing 177grn PRB. It has no "easy cleaning" label on the powder can, and I found no detailed explanation of how these roundballs will circumnavigate the globe and still penetrate two engine blocks before entering my deer and expanding to the size of a man hole cover. I can only hope that deer today have not learned they shouldn't fall to such a loading as millions of their ancestors did. I should have known something was amiss when I payed less for 100 roundballs and 1lb of powder then what it costs for 20 premium rounds of .300 win mag. I also worry that this "new" rifle isn't accurate enough. By all accounts it's nigh impossible to kill a deer with a rifle that won't put 10 shots into a quarter inch at 300 yards. I am deeply concerned my 2" 5 shot groups at 75 yards will not do the job at the typical 50 yard range most NH deer are taken at. No sir, according to the current press I am woefully undergunned and that likely has all to do with my refrain from dropping at least $1500 on a "suitable" rifle.

I have even gone so far as to realize I am a meat hunter now. Shocking turn of events for some. Something about the draw of a freshly filled freezer with three growing boys has more of a shine to it than the 10 point buck I spent so much effort finding in my youth. I will admit if Mr. Tenpointer steps out I will do my best to drop him in his tracks, but I think my luck will bring me something smaller and hopefully tastier. The shame will be great when he won't measure to Boone and Crockett standards, but I am prepared to cope with my disgrace.

For all it's "inadequacies" the BP rifle has given me a refreshing sense of freedom. Freedom from the pressures of fads and the newest whiz bang surefire deer killer. Freedom from areas where said whiz bang rifle is no longer allowed. And the freedom to shoot plenty of targets on the cheap, making me a better hunter than I was.

So thank you to all on this forum for the nudge, and do pray for my hunting soul as clearly I have lost my way. Just pick up an issue of your favorite hunting magazine to see the error of my ways.

Brilliant piece! I'll light a candle for you. Enjoy your "new" rifle. Simple really is better. :thumbsup:

NHsmoke - Glad to hear your starting on a new trail. Traditional BP is a blast and it sounds like your really going to enjoy it. Let us know how that frontstuffer treats you and good luck on up coming hunts. Nice story to read.Thanks for sharing. :applause:

Priceless! Sounds like your at the right place now. Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

I too have hunted with all the 'gadgets' but the best (and scariest) memory is hunting with a bow for Grizzly in the Yukon many years ago. But it is the skill of the hunt that was involved not the gadgets that made it memorable.

You have now found a better path to walk and to pass on the knowledge is something your boys and you will remember for many seasons to come.

Great revelation!! :v

Great post - I enjoyed reading it. Welcome back to the sane side...

Now the only thing you need to do to make it complete is to take your sons with you when you hunt, and teach them the right way...

The real payoff comes when they become adults, and look forward to a day in the woods, or on the lake, with Dad. And they bring your grandkids with them.

Did the same thing with that boy in my avatar,,he went from a single shot 22--to a 50 cal ml at an early age,
Got a little bucky when all his buddy's dad's got them 22 auto's after saftey training,,but he's learned too shoot, respect and admire the wood lot an hunting grounds.
An now, with 2 deer under his belt, there ain't no shame eatin back-straps off a good fat doe when his buddies have nun :thumbsup:

When ya teach yer kids ta hunt, an ya won't be huntin fer yer kids,, :wink:

This is only the beginning. Wait till you discover flintlocks!

Let the adventure begin”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦

ebiggs said:
This is only the beginning. Wait till you discover flintlocks!

Let the adventure begin”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦”¦

Wait until you discover the pleasures of the wooden longbow :blah: :grin:

It's a fantastic feeling, isn't it? Whittling away at all that is un-nescesarry until all you're left with is only that which you need.

Well, longbows are a bit out of the subject range for the General Muzzleloading area but there are similarities to be made.

Unlike the modern centerfire "hunts" which are more akin to "shoots", hunting with a muzzleloader puts "hunting" back into hunting.

Where much of bow hunting involves reading wind currents, reading trails, stealth, planning and short range shots, muzzleloading requires the same things, the main difference being the suitable range to the target can be extended out to 100 yards.

Because of this, the satisfaction of a successful muzzleloading hunt is far beyond anything the centerfire crowd will ever know.

This doesn't even touch on the linking with the past and being able to relate to what our forefathers experienced which in itself adds a new degree of understanding unknown to most modern hunters.

Pretty good path you have followed so far. Now, if we can just get you to read tracks and cut sign, you will have lots to teach those sons of yours, and enjoy the adventure of the hunt even when you see no deer to shoot.

I am sure the gun writers in those magazines will commiserate with you over your deviation from the course of true enlightenment. They will also try to convince you that the PRBs fired by our ancestors at deer and other game, as well as hostile forces, all bounced off, and that all our ancestors either starved to death, or were killed off long before you were a twinkle in your father's eye. :blah: :rotf: :hmm: :thumbsup:

...i've taken a few nh deer with the same set-up...50 cal rb ...tc renegade...
80 gr...have fun...hope you fill the freezer... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you for "My Story". Sounds like you are now enjoying peace and satisfaction in your outdoor pursuits. The three-point buck I took last fall fell to my Tennessee flintlock loaded with 85 grains of 2f behind a .535 roundball. One of my most satisfying hunts ever. Had to laugh at a Gander Mountain catalog advertising 15 "Platinum Powerbelts" for $25.99. :haha:

It is such a joy when a hunter finally sees the light - go toward the light.....

I got disgusted years ago at reading about the new super magnums and how they were so superior to older deer cartridges; I canceled all my mag subscriptions.

Though I've hunted with muzzies for around 45 years, I went to them exclusively a few years ago. You are on the true and righteous path, and as ebiggs said, wait till you get bitten by the flintlock bug. Welcome to fold.

I too have come to the same conclusions you have. It's a nice feeling to sort of find yourself, as it were, and enjoy things again, without the feeling of needing more. Life becomes simpler and far more enjoyable. I'll be hunting/shooting my muzzleloaders for the forseeable future, and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It is truly a new beginning, and a great way to do it. Good luck.

After a hockey game last fall I was BSing with one of the guys & told him I was going out for elk 2nd rifle season( regular rifle season ) & I was going to take my flintlock,he said perhaps I could loan you a rifle.I told him I have a couple 45-70's,a 45-90
,a couple .308's...................
He said I guess you just like using the old stuff.
I said yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
He should have known that , that was just before I retired my mid 80's pads,about 25years old ,tried to sew them & the leather just tore.
My friends ALL got a big laugh over someone offering to loan me a rifle to go hunting.

Nothing feels better than when I put on my Buckskin Pants, my Longhunter shirt. Put on my Mocs and possible Bag. Then Put my Hawk in my Sash and last but not least, my knife. I am a Primitive Hunter!!! Also, tired of the Magnum craze. I just love to shoot Blackpowder. I want to sell my modern stuff and get a custom Smoothbore...but....wifey won`t let me....
Some Primitive Hunter, huh????

Who said old dogs can be taught new tricks?

Glad you have wised up and have adopted a "less is better" attitude.

Enjoy your muzzle loader and the greater agility allowed with your recently found philosophic shift.

As some one else typed: wait till you 'discover' Flintlocks! hahahaha

Best wishes to you!

Back