• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changing Powder charges on woodswalk.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Too-Tall

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Question: I change my powder charge on woodswalk based upon distance of the shot. Example: I use 45 grains 3f in my 45 cal at shots 50 yards and under. 75 yards I use 55 grains and at 100-125 I use 65 grains. This keeps my point of aim the same. Downfall 45 grains it shoots best groups. But upping the charge vs using holdover works better for me, and I score better with more hits. Some other shooters yesterday found it shocking I was using different loads on different targets. Basically they said wow that shot sounded weaker than your last. Does anyone else do this or am I am odd ball. I know my rifles well and know what to do to get consecutive (hopefully) hits out to 125

I think the answer is going to vary depending on the types of targets people encounter on a woods walk.
For me, no i don’t change loads. But the vast majority of targets I encounter on woods walks in my area are close, cut a card, hanging beads, stuff like that. The rare shot at a longer range I just hold over.
Whatever works for you, I wouldn’t worry about what anyone else is doing, as you said changing loads gives you a better score.

Strikes me that changing either charge or holdover requires accurate knowledge of the range.
I've got a Lyman 57 on my TC that I've set up so I can easily change between two ranges. Factory sight is set up for a third, just pop the peep off if needed. If a different target range is needed it's best guess at holdover, but I seldom shoot targets beyond 100 which is my highest sight setting.
Works well enough for me.

Your rifle has one most accurate load. Use that for all distances. Bench rest your rifle at 25, 50, 75, 100 yards, and learn the trajectory. If shooting off hand, the variation isn't enough to be a problem if you know your rifle and load.
I suspect if your most accurate load in a .45 is 45 grains, you are having some problems with anticipating recoil.

I haven't done a woodswalk in over 30 years. I suppose some things have changed.
I always thought the idea of a woodswalk was to roughly simulate a hunter/frontiersman strolling through the wilderness and taking shots at various game and/or enemies as they are encountered. Therefor you would always be loaded with your normal hunting/defense load. So, to me, changing loads to suit the specific situations just seems contrary to the whole concept.

Don't think there is a right or wrong, it's what works best for you and what you like. I very my load a maybe 10 gr depending if I'm target shooting, hunting, or trying a long shot 100yd or more.

The only load change I make for a woods walk is I use a .480 ball versus my usual .490 ball (50 cal.)
Ease of loading, no need for a range rod, and more shots (12 or better) before I have to wipe.
At the range, I use a tight .490/patch combination, use a short starter and a range rod, and I wipe (one damp, one dry) after every shot.
Accuracy is close enough and I have learned poa/poi so I can point and shoot.

ADK Bigfoot

Your rifle has one most accurate load. Use that for all distances. Bench rest your rifle at 25, 50, 75, 100 yards, and learn the trajectory. If shooting off hand, the variation isn't enough to be a problem if you know your rifle and load.
I suspect if your most accurate load in a .45 is 45 grains, you are having some problems with anticipating recoil

I suspect if your most accurate load in a .45 is 45 grains, you are having some problems with anticipating recoil.
It’s definitely not a recoil issue, that’s what it likes. I demand accuracy from every gun I own or I no longer own it. I can one hand off the bench hit point targets at 1500 meters with the Barrett m107 50 bmg. Recoil doesn’t affect me much. Ok I lied the 500 S&W snubby I carried in backwoods off Alaska was brutal I flinched often shooting it. But ml’ers nahh it’s a gentle push back. But the groups on previous mentioned 45 touch at 50 but open up at 100, I up charge 20 grains at 100 it tightens back up.

Last edited:
The only load change I make for a woods walk is I use a .480 ball versus my usual .490 ball (50 cal.)
Ease of loading, no need for a range rod, and more shots (12 or better) before I have to wipe.
At the range, I use a tight .490/patch combination, use a short starter and a range rod, and I wipe (one damp, one dry) after every shot.
Accuracy is close enough and I have learned poa/poi so I can point and shoot.

ADK Bigfoot
I just change guns due to type of match. 25 yard paper match scoring half the ball- 32 cal. 100 yard bench 45 cal or up. Smoothbore well smoothie. I got enough guns I might shoot 4 or more in various matches at an event. Obviously unless a gun breaks I finish the match with gun I started that match with.

I don't have the opportunity to do woods walks. But for target shooting I increase the powder for longer distances to keep the same point of aim. Holding the gun higher at longer distances causes the target to get covered by the sights and it turns into a guessing game for me.

Back