• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage Arms aka Access Heritage arms in Canada ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s misleading, they should just delete the picture of the pedersoli. You don’t need to be a big company to press the back space button.
Some are just not computer savvy enough to deal with html code, as evidenced by this listing on their homepage:

newproductsnews.jpg

dotline1.jpg

Arrow
Sale on unfinished EIC, (3rd model ) Brown Bess Muskets
(Posted: June 29, 2015)
Arrow
Introducing our New Rapiers and Belts
(Posted: June 10, 2015)
Arrow
SHOE & BOOT INVENTORY BLOW-OUT SALE !!
(Posted: March 25, 2015)
Arrow
New Shell Guard Cutlasses, 17th – 18th C.
(Posted: March 8, 2015)

still has 8 year old listing as "NEW".

If it pains you so much, feel free to email them, point out this error, and ask them to change it.

There’s always the question of what kind of rifle is appropriate for revolutionary war, there really is no answer to this as most who are out in the field, don’t actually know what the facts are, I would say as long as its not a Kentucky rifle or Southern Mountain Rifle, you’re ok (with a grease bore), there’s not much in the name of ‘standards’ for revolutionary war rifles. On the British side, it’s much more standard, 1776, Ferguson, Pistor etc.

There are appropriate revolutionary war rifle locks however only an expert could point this out, if you had a Kibler Colonial Long Rifle or a Late period Lancaster long rifle with a Ketland Lock, most wouldn’t say one is appropriate and one is not.

Personally I think many American riflemen used small caliber smoothbores in the 58-66 caliber range, the american long rifle is a little over romanticized in revolutionary war culture.
Didn't say the rifles weren't appropriate. I said there weren't many RIFLEMEN, and their actions were limited.

A reenactor is going to be limited in his reenacting.

Didn't say the rifles weren't appropriate. I said there weren't many RIFLEMEN, and their actions were limited.

A reenactor is going to be limited in his reenacting.
Most of the fighting men came from civilized east coast. Rifles were almost all related to the trans frontier.
Adams had never seen a rifle and wrote to Abigail how amazed he was when he saw them demonstrated
Even though rifles were known in England from what’s written by English officers and diarist suggest amazement at seeing rifles
You get a Charlie even a ‘77 you will be mostly welcome in a Rev war event, if you wish to join a company.
But rifles would be specilized

Most of the fighting men came from civilized east coast. Rifles were almost all related to the trans frontier.
Adams had never seen a rifle and wrote to Abigail how amazed he was when he saw them demonstrated
Even though rifles were known in England from what’s written by English officers and diarist suggest amazement at seeing rifles
You get a Charlie even a ‘77 you will be mostly welcome in a Rev war event, if you wish to join a company.
But rifles would be specilized

For those who intend on joining a rifle unit, get a larger caliber rifle too.

When it comes to re-enacting with rifles, its a good practice to try to find a rifle with a larger caliber 54 - 58 or higher if you can find it.

The smaller calibers, even 50, after fouling builds up, the powder often doesn’t make it to the bottom and you can’t ram.

I’ve seen some hangers here and there with the smaller calibers.

Which 4 do you have? I’m really liking their fusil de chasse…
I have a LLP King's Musket the Bess, first model but with the later improvements, the metal nose cap for example
I have two of the shorter "Bess" carbines in .65
I have an English trade gun, with which I hunt
I owned and sold their earliest model Bess, which had a wooden rammer and no nose cap. Too much chance at snapping that ramrod.
LD

I have a LLP King's Musket the Bess, first model but with the later improvements, the metal nose cap for example
I have two of the shorter "Bess" carbines in .65
I have an English trade gun, with which I hunt
I owned and sold their earliest model Bess, which had a wooden rammer and no nose cap. Too much chance at snapping that ramrod.
LD
I have the English trade gun also and have no issues and Blair & Linda have been very good to deal with.

There’s always the question of what kind of rifle is appropriate for revolutionary war, there really is no answer to this as most who are out in the field, don’t actually know what the facts are, I would say as long as its not a Kentucky rifle or Southern Mountain Rifle, you’re ok (with a grease bore), there’s not much in the name of ‘standards’ for revolutionary war rifles. On the British side, it’s much more standard, 1776, Ferguson, Pistor etc.

There are appropriate revolutionary war rifle locks however only an expert could point this out, if you had a Kibler Colonial Long Rifle or a Late period Lancaster long rifle with a Ketland Lock, most wouldn’t say one is appropriate and one is not.

Personally I think many American riflemen used small caliber smoothbores in the 58-66 caliber range, the american long rifle is a little over romanticized in revolutionary war culture.
British officers of the period described "36 bore" or "36 to the pound" (ca. .52 cal.) as being by far the most common caliber of the "Lancaster guns" carried by the riflemen they faced. The term " rifle" or "rifle-gun" was very specific, as far as military parlance of the time. RIFLEMEN in the Continental Army were recruited into specific units, with the ten companies that made up Morgan's Rifles being the first and the best-known. They actually were created by an Act of the Continental Congress the day before it named George Washington as Commander-in-Chief. These were recruited specifically from the rural areas of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia, where there was a sizeable population of frontier-raised men who had grown up using rifles, were quite skilled in their use, and were used to the hit-and-run, covert, and operationally-independent tactics of sniper/"Indian-style" warfare. The accounts of both the British brass and the urban/Northern Colonial officers describe shooting demonstrations and shots during battle that would have been impossible for fowlers or "smooth rifles." They descibe the men of these units as being totally different from any they had ever encountered before, in appearance, temperament, survival skills, and long-range shooting capabilities.

There has never been any need for "romanticizing" the role of the American Longrifle or its wielders within their specific assigned combat roles and the effect they had on the outcome of the war. The first-hand accounts of both friends and foes, as well as their crucial roles in turning the tide of war at Saratoga, Kings Mountain and Cowpens, speak for themselves.

OK, that’s good to know. This is one of those exceptions where the non firing thing is absolutely legit and needed.
Myself, I love BP and firing both my Petersoli and Miroku Bess. And buy the way- I’ve been getting some great flints from Karl Lee in the UK. He is an amazing flintknapper.

Thank you sir, can you provide a link please ?

Dixie Gunworks listing as of 12:42 PM 25 April 2023
Pedersoli 1795 Springfield Musket - $1,850.00
Loyalist Arms listing as of 12:42 PM 25 April 2023
1795 Springfield Type I Musket - $697.00

$1,850 - $697 = $1,153 difference. I'm just another blue-collar joe that got a 2 year RN degree; I'm telling you, that eleven Benji's + a Grant isn't a little / trivial amount of money. To you billionaires that are married to super models, fly your helo's to one of your yachts that are the size of a Nimitz class carriers; that is not a concern. But to most of us plebes, it can be a insurmountable amount.

Have you ever considered budgeting for however long it takes for a quality item ?
Sometimes it can take years but I'll whisper a kindly word of advice from a 70 year old Vet, when you do get that quality "one of" Rifle /Smoothbore (preferably a good condition 2nd hand one) there's no going back or regrets.
Alternately you can take the cheaper easy path and compromise on everything that matters, then regularly counsel your conscience that "this will do".

TBH I've been in both camps and learned the hard way that my hard earned $ should be carefully hoarded not only for necessaries, but also for the few rare "I deserve it" rewards we're all entitled to from time to time; across our too often too short life spans.

I’m of the opinion you need to be informed as to what you’re buying.

If you don’t mind lower quality in terms of lock work, stock quality and balance… an Indian gun is a good match for you.

If you have high expectations but are settling for an Indian gun, you’ll never be satisfied.

I’m working on an Indian bess now, it’s ok for an Indian bess overall, but the lock junk, plate is chewed up internally, springs are weak and geometry is terrible. Needs a rebuilt lock. 700-800 for an Indian bess, and now $200 to redo the lock. Not a good investment.

Seen the same here in Australia many times with Napoleonic and First Fleet colonial reenactors, and waved plenty of them away when guys asked me to convert "a Sows ear into a Silk purse".
Sure the Indian barrels can be proofed, but in my considered opinion a good Lock is essential to a reasonably reliable Muzzle loader; and overall the Indian manufactured ML's I've examined over here have crappy Lock internals.

I have a Loyalist Arms that I purchased 20 plus years ago. Still works fine and outside of flints have never had to replace a part. Most accurate of the smoothies I have owned to boot.

That may be so but overall we're dealing with a wide variation in quality control and the nature of a dispersed Cottage industry when it comes to Indian manufactured ML's.
I'm not putting down or demeaning the Indians who work to produce ML's, they do their best with what they have on a tightly restricted budget, but we can't expect western standards to apply to whats produced over there.
If you got a good one then good for you mate, but thats often not the case.

Have you ever considered budgeting for however long it takes for a quality item ?
Sometimes it can take years but I'll whisper a kindly word of advice from a 70 year old Vet, when you do get that quality "one of" Rifle /Smoothbore (preferably a good condition 2nd hand one) there's no going back or regrets.
Alternately you can take the cheaper easy path and compromise on everything that matters, then regularly counsel your conscience that "this will do".

TBH I've been in both camps and learned the hard way that my hard earned $ should be carefully hoarded not only for necessaries, but also for the few rare "I deserve it" rewards we're all entitled to from time to time; across our too often too short life spans.

1) at 67, don't have the stress of making a mortgage payment + school tuition + hospital bills (whole back story there that needs to be a soap opera plot) that someone 35 years younger has; where 1.1k is a monthly mortgage payment. Doing the rathole some each paycheck drill right now to have roughly 1.6k ratholed for a @Rob M. trade musket in August. After that, a Jim Kibler for Christmas. So, the idea isn't alien to me.
2) 70 isn't that old anymore……… :thumb:
3) have both an original 1842 Springfield for N-SSA competition & a Loyalist 1835/40 for practice on the farm using Pyrodex.

Nope, the Kiblers aren't going to work for reenacting. Riflemen were too limited in numbers and battles. And it's not even close to "nearly a Kibler kit" in price, which is going to run at least $1200 for a kit, which still needs an investment in time and supplies to finish.
It's nice that something as sophisticated as a Kibler is made in the USA! No "China" there! :)

Maybe, but since the stocks from the sub-continent are so fat, you can trim them down. Wish it was better wood.

Pedersoli stuff is nice. Mine was from 1998. They say that later ones are different. I had a Lyman (Miroku) that I sold to my friend (who then passed). It was an okay gun, but I hated the crown on the lock. I had rest of it defarbed. Didn’t get the crown. I think the Pedersoli “feels” better. I bet a new real, period one would feel “finer”. All that’s in my cards is a long land from the sub-continent.
Agree about the wood; with the 'save the forests' people, I guess we're lucky they don't close that market down!:)

1) at 67, don't have the stress of making a mortgage payment + school tuition + hospital bills (whole back story there that needs to be a soap opera plot) that someone 35 years younger has; where 1.1k is a monthly mortgage payment. Doing the rathole some each paycheck drill right now to have roughly 1.6k ratholed for a @Rob M. trade musket in August. After that, a Jim Kibler for Christmas. So, the idea isn't alien to me.
2) 70 isn't that old anymore……… :thumb:
3) have both an original 1842 Springfield for N-SSA competition & a Loyalist 1835/40 for practice on the farm using Pyrodex.

Now listen here young fella.....LOL

Latest posts

Back