• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage India-made Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to try shooting a smoothbore musket, which I haven't done yet. Looking at Pedersoli's offerings, I cringe at the prices. Military Heritage has a number of smoothbores in price ranges I could write off if they don't work out. Their guns are made in India, understandably lower-quality than Pedersoli, and their reviews on YouTube are decidedly mixed. But not all bad. The Fusil de Chasse would be my target gun, so I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with that gun from that company, and what have you got to say about it? Any quality-related functional issues? Minor fit and finish issues are lesser concerns.

Last edited:
I think you’re putting the cart before the horse here. How can you decide your as-yet unpurchased/unhandled/unfired FdC is going to be your “target gun”? Suppose you buy it and you can’t hit the barn door with it?
As always, experiment and don’t rush it.

A friend has one ... albeit a bit clunky as they left too much wood on it. It should be as light and trim as possible, but it is certainly functional. But like Pathfinder opined, it may not work for you - but you'd have to try it. Depending on your build, some find the severe drop in the curved comb hard to shoot or get cheek-slapped in the process.

....How can you decide your as-yet unpurchased/unhandled/unfired FdC is going to be your “target gun”? Suppose you buy it and you can’t hit the barn door with it?....
I'm presuming you're pulling my chain and you really know what I meant. :cool:

I guess it's really a first step toward the "real" target gun: a firearm that represents the Revolutionary War in my collection of military services arms. The Charleville, most likely. I first buy the Military Heritage Fusil just to see if I'm happy with the India-made smoothbore guns. If I'm not happy with India-made, I can down the road sometime in the future get a Pedersoli Charleville when I can afford it. If I am happy, I can eventually end up with two India-made muskets for less than the price of one Pedersoli.

Last edited:
Something a person with modest woodworking skills and tools can deal with?
Honestly, buy a domestically made one, Rob Miller makes a fine, affordable gun, that all you will have to do, is load and fire it. I have owned more smoothbore guns than most, and I can say your money is better spent here, than on some questionably made gun in a third world country. Save a few more dollars, buy a used one if you can. It will still be a better gun than anything coming out of Bangalore.... I traded for each of these. I shoot .69 caliber smoothbore, and each of these was made here in the US....Do what you want, but above is some pretty solid advice, from someone who has been there and done that. A good, American Made, used trade gun, can be had for the same price as one of those monstrosities from India. I help folks find good, used Trade Guns....Friends don't let friends shoot India made guns!!

Attachments

• received_941271236995364_kindlephoto-9502144.jpg
    received_941271236995364_kindlephoto-9502144.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 0
I thought it would be fun to try shooting a smoothbore musket, which I haven't done yet. Looking at Pedersoli's offerings, I cringe at the prices. Military Heritage has a number of smoothbores in price ranges I could write off if they don't work out. Their guns are made in India, understandably lower-quality than Pedersoli, and their reviews on YouTube are decidedly mixed. But not all bad. The Fusil de Chasse would be my target gun, so I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with that gun from that company, and what have you got to say about it? Any quality-related functional issues? Minor fit and finish issues are lesser concerns.
PM ColonialRiflesmith about these. He recommends Loyalist arms if memory serves and for good reasons.

@Indy Durtdigger do you know anything about Veteran Arms? They say they import from India and tune and finish in house. Loyalist Arms say they import and finish in house, but don't say where they source. My guess is also India.

@Indy Durtdigger do you know anything about Veteran Arms? They say they import from India and tune and finish in house. Loyalist Arms say they import and finish in house, but don't say where they source. My guess is also India.
I've never purchased any of these. There was a pages long thread some months ago about them and Loyalist was recommended because they assemble and test in house and I believe they are Indian made as well. CR ran afoul of the snobs on here and hasn't been as active as he once was. Why I recommended a PM to him for more info.

Anouther vote for Loyalist, have a Charleville dragoon from them, sparkes great and shoots straight. Also have the dragoon pistol that goes with it. They come with the touch hole drilled but ship the lock separate.

Here’s my two cents worth (or less) on the subject.

A few years ago, I acquired a .60 caliber India made Fusil de Chasse. Used it for squirrel hunting a couple years and it was an okay gun. Then it was sent off to a gun builder who took off a bunch of wood and tuned the lock. Now it is an okay gun that looks better.

On the other hand, I have a Chambers .62 caliber smooth rifle. While both are similar in general appearance from a distance, the Chambers has much better fit and finish and a really good lock. It has a Getz barrel which is far superior to the India barrel. The Chambers is an excellent gun and after all is said and done, I have only a little more money invested in the Chambers.

You be the judge.

I have a Loyalist Arms Fusil de Chasse and it works. The steel is fine, the lock works well, maybe not the fastest but works. The issue with the India made guns in my opinion comes with the wood. They use what they call Rosewood which most of us know as Teak. It works but is not a very good wood for gun stocks. It is heavy, somewhat coarse grain. Doesn't take a stain well. Splinters. Here we use it mostly for outdoor furniture due to its resilience to decay from the elements when kept oiled. If you are thinking of an India made gun for its price point, I would suggest Loyalist Arms. If you are willing to spend a bit more I would suggest a smooth bore from Jim Kibler.

I guess it's my morning to be the "stick in the mud". These threads about 'India' made guns seem to pop up regularly, and I am always left 'perplexed' by some members comments. "Save a few more dollars" or "buy a used gun", or "buy a kit" from company x, y, or z. "Buy American"

Most of the India guns I've seen run around $600 +/-. Finished & ready to shoot, some may need the touch hole drilled. I read the "for sale" section here every day. The only used smoothbore you will find for +/- $600 will be a TC, and - not knocking the guys who like them - a 40" barrel flintlock fowler / fusil it ain't.

A Chambers lock runs $300 +/-. A name brand barrel $300 +/-. Stock wood $$$, other parts $$$. I've been looking at kits from every common well-known company for a couple of years now. If you're lucky - you might find a deal on a box of parts for $1000 plus shipping. I'm mechanically inclined and have tools, so I can assemble a kit. I am not digging on the kit suppliers, they offer an amazing value.

I will assume that we all know plenty of shooters who are competent at operation and maintenance of a firearm, but you literally 'cringe' watching them operate a screwdriver. They have NO business with a file or chisel. Yes, they can probably learn - in time, but would like to experience our sport, like now.

Having said all that, I do think what some people are trying to get across to people considering the India guns is that - on a flintlock, the lock is everything. If the lock is not reliable it's hard to enjoy shooting the gun. And the money you saved can be eaten up pretty quickly having a poor lock tuned up into a functioning lock. So I would want a written, 100% lock warranty from whichever distributor I chose.

I was prompted to write this post because it seems to be common for some replies to be dismissive of the OPs financial position or restraints.
It's like someone telling you - I want a second car and I've been looking at my budget and what I can afford is a Chevy Chevette. And you come back and tell them you really should buy a Land Rover, they are so much better in the snow. Wait - WTH? 'You just need to save up $$ longer' or do the Johnny Cash 'thing' and buy your Rover "one piece at a time", anybody can learn how to assemble a Land Rover - right?. "Just go slow and read the right books"

OK, I'm done - got that off my chest! Time for "the dump run" and then off to the deer stand! Yeh!

I recently got the Northwest trade gun from military heritage. I went into it knowing that there was likely going to be at least something wrong with it. In shipping the cock screw that holds the Flint got bent. But I was able to straighten it out no problem. There was a small crack in the stock and I didn't want to return it because I wanted to hunt squirrel with it so I went ahead and just glued and clamped it. Other than that I am super thrilled with it. Very reliable ignition. I really do like the idea of drilling the touch hole myself. I really wouldn't trust anyone else to do the job. The center punch mark that they put on it showing Where to drill the hole was not good enough for me, too low in the pan. So I put it at the sunset position and Coned it a bit. And of course the Ram rod they give you is made out of balsa wood or something. I ordered a hickory dowel from track of the Wolf and now she is a fine shooter. So as long as you don't mind tinkering and you're capable of drilling the touch hole I think you'd be good to go. Essentially veteran arms is the same thing only they drill the touch hole for you. I'd rather do it myself anyway

Last edited:
OK -- here we go: I recently purchased a Brown Bess and a Charleville from Military Heritage because of the price and that I only wanted a "wall hanger" but when I got them the locks were so bad that I had to re-make most of the parts and screws to make it work somewhat like it should. It took me about 30 hours to make parts for the Brown Bess and I am still working on the Charleville. At $50/hr labor I could have purchased a GOOD musket If I wanted a shooter. The flash hole is not drilled, and you have to un-breach the barrel to do a proper job of drilling the touch hole. The barrel is threaded deeper than the breach plug by about 1/2"+ and this will prevent you from doing a good cleaning of the breach area. Your cleaning patch will get stuck on the exposed extra threads. This area will capture, and hold burnt powder and eventually cause rust to form. Maybe some of the other India importers have better guns - but I don't think so. Save your money and buy something GOOD you would be better off and not regret it. My opinion is to keep looking for something better.;)
P1030805.JPGSear spring.jpg

I understand that some folks just don't have the extra money to buy a $1500 plus musket - I get it. For me I just wanted something on the wall to represent a Brown Bess and a Charleville that may have been used during 1776-time frame. I also would like to SHOOT it once in a while. I make my own BP rifles and strive for making something that I am proud to show off and that it is reliable. When I purchased these muskets, I knew that there would be issues and I accepted it. For me the locks were the biggest issue 😲. The trigger pull is over 20 pounds :eek:! Do they make spark - yes- somewhat:rolleyes:. You have to decide where your quality standards meet your wallet and go from there:ThankYou::horseback:

There's a Pedersoli kit version of the Charleville. I'm kind of looking to go that route now. I've done a couple Pedersoli pistol kits and they're pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back