• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage India-made Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. It's turned into another ego stroking you have a different opinion and hurt my feelings thread by some of the same guys that turn many threads here into such similar hogwash.

Without weighing in on the quality of low budget import stuff. 14 pages in on another of these threads and yet again no one has pointed out that these guys are basically gun mechanics so the only ones they're going to see are the broken ones. That does tend to skew opinions.

It’s a very common debate / argument, the most talented people on the forum will often say they will not work on them, and there is a reason for that and that’s not just extended to Indian arms, after a month ago i took a personal vow to never also work on old miroku guns or Pedersoli’s, other than the locks, such as complete defarbs, you don’t learn anything working on them, recreating the wheel is not progress.

As I’ve stated previously, it’s largely emotional, quality is based on statistics, real quantitative data, not hyperbole.

People need to justify their purchases by discrediting others, lashing out etc.

poster ZUG really explained the Indian musket dilemma best.

LOL. I'll concur with that statement. I have been an auto mechanic for over 45 years. I can state with empirical certainty that all cars are junk... 🤣

LOL. I'll concur with that statement. I have been an auto mechanic for over 45 years. I can state with empirical certainty that all cars are junk... 🤣
It won’t happen. Kinda like politics. Commodore troll just keeps going. I’ll stop pointing out that he won’t say who he is, when he does. Troll. A nobody.

Yup, and everyone here knows me, and shouldn’t troll the internet looking for me, they’ll regret what they find lol, and you know what i mean !

Those were made by Sandy McNabe in England, the lock was made by Pedersoli. Reeves ghoring did the hardware. Kit had assisted in the stock design I believe.

Barrels were a little small for a long land.

Dixie gun works bought the project and had Pedersoli mark the locks Stowe after the West Point curator.

Nice repros but the Dixie ones were not great, stocks were a poor quality beech.
Thanks for the info, very thorough! I am not a particular fan of this weapon, suffice it to say I would hate to carry/shoot it all day! It's only saving grace is it never (so far) fails to go off!

. . . no one has pointed out that these guys are basically gun mechanics so the only ones they're going to see are the broken ones. That does tend to skew opinions.
Exactly true, this is what I was trying to say the other day

"Knowing that of the hundreds that annually pass thru every importers doors the ones that are being worked on are the most problematic from a selection of different builders from different (India) companies."

Thanks for the info, very thorough! I am not a particular fan of this weapon, suffice it to say I would hate to carry/shoot it all day! It's only saving grace is it never (so far) fails to go off!

They’re highly sought after, just becuase they’re a 1756 long land. Most people think they’re accurate replicas but they’re not.

I had one someone won on auction a few years ago, we had to replace the barrel it was completely oxidized from breech to muzzle.

Butt stock had a large crack in it that extended from the wood screw to the lock mortise. Run out was pretty bad, beech tends to be tighter grained too, European Beech is much better, i think this was American Beech.

This reminds me of the 'debate' about patch lube and the myriad of answers, all citing their own particular favourite. I am not telling what I use!

From a UK shooters point of view these Indian made guns must be UK proofed before they are available for sale. The numbers that survive this are lost to me, I would be interested to find out?

Now this is the most accurate reply to India made muskets that I have seen. It matches my experience. I have been building and working BP for just over 60 years. My first FFL was June of 1963. I've built many long rifles and worked on many Italian rifles and muskets. I don't work on India made muskets because of the quality and liability worries that a customer might blame me if he blows up a India musket through neglect, stupidity or carelessness. I have two India made "Charleville" muskets in the shop alongside a Pedersoli and an original to show the difference. I've heard all the defenses of the Indies and understand the price issue but FlinterNick is dead on. You have to do too much to make up for the low grade metal and poor contours to defarb them. Most of my BP business is for living history customers who care about authenticity when in front of the public. I do restoration, preservation and conservation for museums and collectors mostly. BP Competitors are the best customer because they know what they want and know the value of a reliable rifle that wins matches. The average reenactor wants a really cheap rifle or musket that needs a lot of work done to make it fire reliably and they don't want to spend the money. My biggest issue/concern is the breech and tang attatchment quality.

I had a fellow Club member Shoot an Indian Dragoon(sp,) at the range. I have to tell you he did a beautiful job on it. Very pretty job. And it went off really quick. I know he must have put hours into it. For some it works out well I guess.
The nay sayers lump all Indian manufacture arms into one pile they call manure. Are some manure - I have no doubt BUT some are not such as those from Loyalist. I can't say one way or the other about the other suppliers. Low grade European manufacturers have put out some pretty raunchy manure as well. Too bad we can't get some objectivity in to this series of posts. The nay sayers would help a lot if they would, if they can, tell where the manure Indian arms they have worked on came from - I. E. who were the dealers that sold them to their customers. I would love to have a Kibler or a custom built ML but I'm retired and on a fixed income so I have a limited budget. I am not a reenactor so defarbing does not matter a rats behind to me - I just enjoy shooting a safe, reliable ML as I have for the past 52 years

From a UK shooters point of view these Indian made guns must be UK proofed before they are available for sale. The numbers that survive this are lost to me, I would be interested to find out?
"I am aware of a number being sent to Europe for proofing, I don't have numbers but I do know that the pass rate is 100%" First page, first post to the topic

The nay sayers lump all Indian manufacture arms into one pile they call manure. Are some manure - I have no doubt BUT some are not such as those from Loyalist. I can't say one way or the other about the other suppliers.
As I mentioned much earlier Loyalist and Veteran work from the same builder in India. Middlesex, MH, Disc General ect get theirs from different builders. Knowing this I suggest Veteran over loyalist as they are domestic.

"Of the importers Loyalist and Veteran get their guns from a better builder in India. Yes, there is such a thing. I like veteran as they are a Domestic company." back on page 2

With the new wokeness of Canada can you imagine having to send one back for repairs? Considering Loyalist has been able to maintain their reputation as having "better stuff" implies people have not had to deal with the headache of returns. . .

The nay sayers lump all Indian manufacture arms into one pile they call manure. Are some manure - I have no doubt BUT some are not such as those from Loyalist. I can't say one way or the other about the other suppliers. Low grade European manufacturers have put out some pretty raunchy manure as well. Too bad we can't get some objectivity in to this series of posts. The nay sayers would help a lot if they would, if they can, tell where the manure Indian arms they have worked on came from - I. E. who were the dealers that sold them to their customers. I would love to have a Kibler or a custom built ML but I'm retired and on a fixed income so I have a limited budget. I am not a reenactor so defarbing does not matter a rats behind to me - I just enjoy shooting a safe, reliable ML as I have for the past 52 years
I am an insignificant git. A Mook, uneducated and unsophisticated. My opinions are my own, and if entirely worthless to others, I have no issue with that, as it should be the natural order of things.

I like my Loyalist 1777 Charleville. I like Jeep CJ7s. I know what they are, and I know what they are not. I can easily describe either as junk, but they work for my purposes and I am not out to garner approval from anyone else about what I do or like to do. Call me a moron and I take no offense and could probably point out many who share the same opinion of me.

I have a number of Pedersoli long arms, as well as Uberti and Pietta revolvers. I know what they are, and I know what they are not. I did purchase a couple of pistols from Military Heritage - and returned them for a refund. I am not super picky, but handling a pistol that feels like I am grasping an unmodified 2x4 didn't fit in my wheelhouse.

HOW do you know this? Proof or your heresay. Again, who are you? How do you know such things it, are you making this up?
I refuse to offer the information you request as I feel it will be misused and hurt my source which I do not want to happen. You can believe me or not, that is your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back