• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Upgrades on Pedersolis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from the smoke in your video i would guess you are using 777.
the ignition int the video was very much normal from my seat in the theater. but in person you may feel more of the delay.
one flintlock i have in 30 cal needs the vent pick left in the vent while the powder is poured and ball seated. if i do this every time it is a instant ignition. if i forget i need some ffff pricked into the vent to get it to pop.
Using the vent pick during the loading sequence seems like it could be a good idea.

As for 777, no. Real black -- always. I don't recall if I was using Scheutzen this time or homebrew. But I almost always prime with homebrew as it's faster due to lower density. That stuff catches a spark like nothing else can.

Have to admit I gave up on the Flintlock on my Pedersoli Kentucky with it`s single trigger. Recently switched it to the Percussion and now get quick reliable ignition even though it grates me to have a Percussion lock on a Kentucky style rifle.
I got one of those fluky Kentucky rifles that has the set trigger. I've been swapping out for the percussion lock when I do my woodswalk course or hunt because I just can't quite hit anything with the flinter yet. With the percussion, I'm good to 100 yards from a seated position. With the flint, I struggle to hit a beer can from 25 yards with a rest.

I got one of those fluky Kentucky rifles that has the set trigger. I've been swapping out for the percussion lock when I do my woodswalk course or hunt because I just can't quite hit anything with the flinter yet. With the percussion, I'm good to 100 yards from a seated position. With the flint, I struggle to hit a beer can from 25 yards with a rest.
keep at it with the flinter. you soon get over the flinching from the explosion next to your eyeball! i don't see it anymore but sometimes with excess powder in the pan i flinch from particles hitting my face. this doesn't effect the shot hopefully as it should be down range by the time my face gets splattered.

3/16"?????

.187 diameter is quite the touch hole.

I hope you mean 3/32"/.093 inches.

With a .187 hole, you'd be lucky to keep the powder in the chamber.

He actually posted 1/16" which I use as well.
Tasbay, I had the very same problem with a Pedersoli rifle I owned years ago. Unless I'm mistaken they use some sort of "patent breech" which is sometimes difficult to get the bore charge powder all the way to the vent liner. I did the same thing you did and installed a percussion lock which worked perfectly.

He actually posted 1/16" which I use as well.
Tasbay, I had the very same problem with a Pedersoli rifle I owned years ago. Unless I'm mistaken they use some sort of "patent breech" which is sometimes difficult to get the bore charge powder all the way to the vent liner. I did the same thing you did and installed a percussion lock which worked perfectly.
His original post said 3/16".

He edited his original post to say 1/16".

My Lyman/Pedersoli had slow ignition so I enlarged touch hole to 1/16 and bought a new liner coned on the inside, then I coned the outside, which can be done carefully with a drill bit. Now it is plenty fast.

My issue with the Kentucky lock is the horrible geometry. I sent mine to Brad Emig to have it tuned and adjusted. It came back better than I expected and the lock and ignition is much faster. He fiddled with the springs to get a better frizzen to mainspring ration and heated and bent to cock as much as could be to get the fling pointing to the pan. His opinion about production gun locks is that they are designed by a corporate committee and not a competent gunsmith. I am much happier with the tuned lock. Some grinding on the sear spring helps the trigger pull too.

What percussion locks were used to replace the Pedersoli flintlock . on the Kentucky rifles.
By the way the Pedersoli Kentucky. Has a flat face breach plug if anyone was interested.

What percussion locks were used to replace the Pedersoli flintlock . on the Kentucky rifles.
By the way the Pedersoli Kentucky. Has a flat face breach plug if anyone was interested.
Just a pedersoli kentucky percussion lock. It fits a little more snug in the stock but still a great fit. Drum came from TOTW to replace the vent liner.

Back