• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli locks bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those stating derogatory comments about Pedersoli seem pretentious, at least to me. As far as appearance goes, no one can duplicate such refinement and perfection of detail. I know, I know, appearance is not everything. But I've never owned one that was not perfect in every regard. In function, I've no personal experience with Pedersoli that left me wanting better, flintlock or Percussion. Neither have I had one fail or need parts. The fact you can easily get replacement parts from other makers is a testament to Pedersoli's quality before shipment; a buyer should not expect a top quality item to break. Don't want one, pay less for a lesser gun.

Over US$1017 (steep discount over EU MSRP), Remington Pattern "Pedersoli Target" S.349, brand new, 2023 production.

Pedersoli marketing literature, "The gun has been expressly “customized” by our crafts-workers and shooters, with the purpose to give the gun a good functionality with the very first use."

LoadingLeverCatch01.jpg

The loading lever catch fell out when I first removed the pistol from the plastic bag. The only thing holding the front sight on the barrel was the thickness of the oil.

Overall, I think the fit and finish was very good. Trigger is light, but a little mushy. Cocking the hammer requires a lot of force. I just think for US$1000, I shouldn't have to stake the dovetails myself.

As mentioned earlier, I also have a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken (S.295) with maple stock, which in retrospect I think was over-priced at US$1321 in Europe. While I think the RMH is nicer than the Lyman Great Plains rifle, I wouldn't recommend it, especially in the US where they take months to get and are very expensive (DGW $1900, Midway $1999, muzzle-loaders.com $2149).

I don't think I will be buying another Pedersoli product. For basically the same price I've seen nicer rifles finished by hobbyists for sale on this forum.

Those stating derogatory comments about Pedersoli seem pretentious, at least to me. As far as appearance goes, no one can duplicate such refinement and perfection of detail. I know, I know, appearance is not everything. But I've never owned one that was not perfect in every regard. In function, I've no personal experience with Pedersoli that left me wanting better, flintlock or Percussion. Neither have I had one fail or need parts. The fact you can easily get replacement parts from other makers is a testament to Pedersoli's quality before shipment; a buyer should not expect a top quality item to break. Don't want one, pay less for a lesser gun.

Do you own a Kibler yet?

A Fellow member at the Club was kind enough to let me shoot his Kibler. Having a Lyman Deer stalker as my go to. it function,s well . I did the best with the lock tweaking it. And it,s a good work horse of a Gun. But I have to tell you that the mechanics of the kibler lock were so smooth it was mind blowing. All my energies were focused on aim point rather than having in the back of my mind will this thing go off? It was like a power steering vs, no power steering when it came down to the comparison between the two.

Two years ago I bought a new Lyman Deerstalker. The lock was terribly gritty. A Dremel tool fixed it. Ironically the best flintlock I have is an old TC Hawken. I am sure that it works so well simply due to usage over the years.

My first flinter is a Pedersoli Frontier ( Blue Ridge) .50 . It has sparked reliably and is adequately accurate. A great way to get into flintlocks without breaking the bank. I now own a few custom rifles as well but never regretted buying the Pedersoli. I should sell it as I haven’t shot it in years now but did take my first flintlock Whitetail with it! Greg

Are pedersoli locks really that bad? I have about 1000 to spend on a gun, looking hard at both the dixie cub made by pedersoli and the pedersoli frontier, dont want to do a kit unless its in the white so kiblers are out. Searching the forum I see alot of bad about the pedersoli locks, but I also see a couple people saying there pretty easy to fix and tune up to be at the very least acceptable.
Coming in late to this post- but never had any huge issues with pedersoli locks pre or post Covid. I haven’t heard much in the way of them being terrible, but some springs may break here or there. In which case, is an easy enough fix to purchase a new spring- a Luxury compared to what you would have to go through to repair an old Japanese spring! However, American locks would have a pretty decent selection of replacement parts as well. But pedersolis are often worth the money- even with their price skyrocketing over the past few years!

Latest posts

Back