• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli locks bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you read above I mentioned not wanting to do a kit because of the extra cost and time involved, I'm just looking for a small bore flintlock that goes bang as reliably as possible within my price range and wanted opinions on pedersoli locks both good and bad, obviously I knew they werent the best before creating this thread
No matter what question you post here about rifle issues, lots of people say get a Kibler, which of course is good advice but does not address your question. It seems to be the standard response to questions regarding any other rifle.

Hmmm I don’t have that problem. Think I’m using a .22 cal brush.
How do you get around the rim with that size brush? My experience is I need to use a slightly oversize brush to get that little black ring around the outer rim of the breech. Then the end of the brush gets compressed and mutilated. But it does the job.

Are pedersoli locks really that bad? I have about 1000 to spend on a gun, looking hard at both the dixie cub made by pedersoli and the pedersoli frontier, dont want to do a kit unless its in the white so kiblers are out. Searching the forum I see alot of bad about the pedersoli locks, but I also see a couple people saying there pretty easy to fix and tune up to be at the very least acceptable.
I have a Pedersoli .50cal Pennsylvania flintlock and a Pedersoli .45cal Kentucky Pistol flintlock.
Both go *BOOM* every time I pull the trigger, both are very fast, no lag time or hang fires. I have NOT had to disassemble either of them or polish anything, they both just worked right out of the box. Got them both from Cabelas, back when they used to carry them.

People can bad mouth them all they want, mine both work just fine.

Now, yes I hear a lot about 'Quality Control since 2020 COVID' and maybe there is something to it, I don't know....but there was always those who bad mouthed Pedersoli BEFORE 2020...so there is that.

People tend to bad mouth ALL 'production' muzzleloaders, but then I have also seen those bad mouthing some of the custom builders too....just saying.

How do you get around the rim with that size brush? My experience is I need to use a slightly oversize brush to get that little black ring around the outer rim of the breech. Then the end of the brush gets compressed and mutilated. But it does the job.
I just wrap the brush in a patch and kind of “screw” it into the hole. Couple of turns and it picks up any crud in there. One more time and it looks clean.

My Pederdoli Kentucky .45 that I bought used in September. Shure has cost me a bunch of money. Crappy Barrel over bored mid-way up from the breach. Flash hole to large. You loose all of your powder charge when pushing the ball down. Closing the frizzen did make it self priming though. Still a reduced load in the chamber. And removing the barrel. I found that the tang was previously broken.
I've decided to re barrel it . Having to widen the barrel channel to accept a non metric size barrel.
Well my lesson was learned the hard way. The project rifle is set a side. And I have completed 2 Kiblers and a third on the way. Just to have a good flintlock.
Now I'll have decide what to do about that Pedersoli lock withe the geometry that is bad. Now I know why when it does spark. It through the spark to the frizzen hinge. Not to the flash pan.

Attachments

• 20230920_225252.jpg
    20230920_225252.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 0
My Pederdoli Kentucky .45 ...
I've decided to re barrel it . ...
Welll, I'm sorry, that seems to be either an over-reaction or a defective barrel or lock to start out with (that Pedersoli should remediate for you under warranty). I was out shooting mine just yesterday with satisfactory results on both 50 yds and 100 yds and 100% functionality, after I installed a new flint. And got some fellow-shooter compliments on the firearm and on its hits.

Catboy, the lock worked fine in percussion, it's just that by that time I was totally into flintlocks!! Sorry for the delayed response!

I think the OP eventually answered his own question. My experience with three of them (older Pedersoli guns) was mixed. The percussion lock rifles were fine (with some trigger work). The flint sporting models tended to be kind of a manure shoot. It seems like the locks are really too small (and frail) for a rifle, more fitting for a pistol. I think the Frontier is the exception, using a much larger and robust lock. I would add that the used price on the auction sites tends to be easier to swallow than the current, new prices. I think the new - post covid prices are what a lot of guys choke on. They are close to or over the cost of a high quality kit gun.

Welll, I'm sorry, that seems to be either an over-reaction or a defective barrel or lock to start out with (that Pedersoli should remediate for you under warranty). I was out shooting mine just yesterday with satisfactory results on both 50 yds and 100 yds and 100% functionality, after I installed a new flint. And got some fellow-shooter compliments on the firearm and on its hits.
Pedersoli wanted $400.00 for a new barrel. The Corellian was $200.00 and I knew that I could do the work. The barrel is now fitted. Now the tang needs to have a bend put in it. I need a dependable lock before drilling a hole for the touch hole or drum for a percussion lock.
That will waight Saturday I should have a new Kibler deliverd to assemble.

While I would never say that Pedersoli locks are "bad", any individual lock from them might be a lousy one. I bought a .50 "Super Cub" many, many years ago and I wanted it in flint. While I somehow did kill a few deer with the flint lock it was exceptionally lousy. Even the deer I did kill with it in flint required more than one "snap" and needed on the spot tinkering just to get that one snap. I ended up buying a replacement percussion lock for it and used it that way most of the time. Other than that it was a really nice, accurate and good lookiing rifle.

I later bought a dbl barrel 12 ga Pedersoli "Coach" gun that was excellent in every way. But it was percussion and always reliable.

Are pedersoli locks really that bad? I have about 1000 to spend on a gun, looking hard at both the dixie cub made by pedersoli and the pedersoli frontier, dont want to do a kit unless its in the white so kiblers are out. Searching the forum I see alot of bad about the pedersoli locks, but I also see a couple people saying there pretty easy to fix and tune up to be at the very least acceptable.

It depends on the locks.

Pedersoli’s Charleville locks are done very well, much better than most other locks.

The brown bess lock and trade gun lock is decent, and will be reliable, however i personally do not like it for a few reasons, 1. The throw is too long, needs to be shorted half a mm to a mm on the full cock notch. 2. I don’t like the frizzen spring, cheaply done and delicate, 3. Internal parts are not hardened very well, especially the sear, the sear gives me trouble often on these locks, they bent the arm for the trigger, not sure why they just dind’t make the trigger body larger.

Their best locks are their Mortimer locks, done very well. Aside from some serious authenticity issues, they work pretty good.

I love questions like this.
I bought a 1803 Harpers Ferry from Dixie gun works. '
I got 8 shots out of it and the frizzen went down range.
Pedosorry does not stock spare parts, so Dixie made one for me. It took ten months.
BTW the lock was not bad, the frizzen spring was over 330lbs! We ground it down to under 30lbs. Mighta been 13 too long ago.

Do yourself a favor and get a Kibler. It will las yo the rest of your days.

I build mine before Kibler was around. Paid a tad under a grand for the parts.
When I broke a screw in the Chamber's Lock. I mailed it back to him and less than two weeks it was fixed and its been flawless every since.

Your first rifle may be a production gun, but your last one will not.

I seriously regret having not emmigrated to the US when I retired in 2007, had an LDR with a lovely southern lady and it was getting serious but I never quite made the move over there.

And the point of this is ? Now I'm re-thinking the move just to get a Kibler kit and enjoy the ML gun shows; Rendezvous and everything else your 2nd Amendment rights entail, it would be either Tennessee or Texas for me, i've got great friends there.

No matter what question you post here about rifle issues, lots of people say get a Kibler, which of course is good advice but does not address your question. It seems to be the standard response to questions regarding any other rifle.

Personally I've come to believe that "get a Kibler" should be included in Marriage counselling and Relationship management advice, lets be realistic if a guy was blessed with a Kibler kit he'd have to be a hell of a lot easier to live with !

Last edited:
Plus another 200 for chisel, sharpening stones, and finishing supplies plus 20hrs of my time and possible frustration, yah no thanks maybe if i already had a gun to shoot id consider it. If an already built one in smoothbore does pop up on the classifieds for around 1300 though I'll definitely jump on it, but I'd much rather learn how to tune up a sub bar lock on a pedersoli, no way to fix the patent breech unfortunately looks like I'd just need to keep it clean
I built a Woodsrunner no chisel just sand papper an the time was spent waiting on the finish for the stock and barrel to dry. I have a Pedersoli Alamo that is ok. The Kibler changed my mind and is the simplest kit I have ever assembled. I have built Traditions and Lyman. Kibler customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Woodsrunner is sand and assemble. Just my experience for what its worth.
Troopertree

Latest posts

Back