• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slow ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have put three Kibler kits together and trigger pull was less than 3 pounds on all of them. If your trigger pulls hard something must be out of alignment. Ignition is very fast, maybe faster than any flinter I have.

try loading with your touch hole /vent hole pick in the hole while loading maintains a clear vent( a feather will also work) use the pick every shot

if the trigger feels like it's binding up, i'm smelling some sort of impingement - i would first look to something in the lock mortise binding up ... some tinkering with lamp black might be in order ... if you see any transfer, shave away a very small amount of wood (just enough to make the lamp black go away) and try again

of course, you want to make sure that you're not accidentally transferring lamp black when you install the lock... that's the tricky bit for me

Call Kibler and talk to them before doing anything else. I would run a drill through the touch hole, just held in my fingers to see if there is a small obstruction in it. I drilled out mine to 1/16" on the various flintlocks I have had. Also, make sure that it is centered in the pan and even with the top of the pan. Charge the pan lightly; it doesn't take much and if you have a large amount in the pan it becomes a fuse rather than the flash going into the touch hole. The same happens if you have powder in the flash channel; a lot of folks stick a feather or toothpick in it while loading to keep powder out.

A lot of the fun with flintlocks is figuring out what works best; once you have that they are a joy to shoot!

~Kees~

He did say he took the lock apart…

Also, His first one too disassemble apparently.

CE6A704B-6196-4AA5-B83B-EC015185A6EC.jpeg

I’m not sure if the trigger pull increased after disassembling or if it was hard prior too..

There is going to be a sweet spot for touch hole size. Usually that's between .058" and .065". Smaller holes sometimes give slow or spotty main charge ignition, and larger holes are more consistent with main charge ignition, but let more gas escape through them before the pressure builds to start moving the projectile. (you also need more powder to achieve the same muzzle velocities.) That time needed to build up the requisite pressure increases total time for the projectile to exit the bore (barrel dwell time).

When I'm tuning a new build, I start with the smaller size (usually .055") and open up the TH gradually. When I get to about 95% consistent ignition, I stop. Usually that's around .060".

It's not just the lock speed and ignition that you're after, but the total barrel dwell time, (from sear trip to ball exit). You want it as fast as possible. Even a very fast flint lock is going to be around 0.080 seconds (total barrel dwell). Percussion guns are going to be closer to 0.030, and modern cartridge (striker fired) guns around 0.010. That increased barrel dwell time is why follow through is SO important, and why it's so much harder to shoot them well compared to more modern stuff.

Last edited:
It’s possible on some locks that the screw for the sear can be over-tightened, causing binding. Take the lock out of the gun and cock and fire in the hand. See if there is binding. See if the sear moves freely. If not back off the sear screw 1/4 turn and re-test. Repeat as needed.

It’s possible on some locks that the screw for the sear can be over-tightened, causing binding. Take the lock out of the gun and cock and fire in the hand. See if there is binding. See if the sear moves freely. If not back off the sear screw 1/4 turn and re-test. Repeat as needed.

Back