• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slow ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't mean slow as in too slow, but slower than a Kibler lock should be. I hear about the really fast lock time of those rifles and all the videos prove it. I mean they all seem so fast that no detectable delay is perceptible between the priming exploding and the gun firing. The smoke from the pan and the muzzle seem simultaneous. My 54 Colonial is not that fast. A shooter prone to flinching would find my rifle inferior. I learned not to flinch decades ago and am aware of a flintlock's needed attention. Flints are of the correct size. Touch hole 1/16th. Enough priming to cover the bottom of the pan. I always use a pick and look to see if the loaded 3F is visible. Oiled lock. The only thing I can think of is that when going by Jim's assembly videos I bought a spring vice and took the lock apart. I saw no need of any honing or polishing but that was my first lock dissassembly. Another hint might be that the trigger is harder to pull than it should be. Before I mail it to Jim for service, I'd like to ask for opinions on what I might do to correct it myself. And I thank you in advance.

try putting less powder in the pan, and try it with a pan full, also try it with the powder away from the touch hole. different locks are different. i have put 7 kibbles together and all of them i shot are lightning fast.

Make sure the flint is sharp and properly positioned in the lock.

Note: I am of the belief that time slows when firing a flintlock. I can hear the hxammer rotate and the flint scraping on the frizzen as the sparks start the powder burning. Then the ignition followed by the push of the recoil and the woosh of the jet of flame erupting through the touch hole. It seems to take seconds. I can reload the rifle and with everything the same hand that rifle to someone else to shoot. Firing is instant.

The next thing for @Mike in FL should do is have a video taken of his rifle as it fires. There may be a delay or his heightened senses with his new rifle may be at play.

Keep oil away from the frizzen & more powder!

26C12822-70CE-4685-92A1-8CCE1CCE5523.jpeg

In the pan!😎

Good luck… you may have too open the touch hole a bit too..

Have someone else shoot it while you observe. The delay may just be a perceived one as you anticipate the shot. I am personally terrible about that when shooting paper with a flint.
When out hunting I don't notice it at all or when I let someone else shoot it's instantaneous.

I use 2F in my Woodsrunner. 4F in the pan(just a small amount-2or3 dabs). Functions great. When you say the trigger is hard to pull, that is a red flag for me that indicates some type of problem. As for the delay, maybe borrow some powder off of someone else and see if there's a difference. Make sure your flint looks good, is getting good spark, and is striking the frizzen at the proper location.

on all my guns i lube them when done shooting. when i shoot them again i swab the bore and lock pan with alcohol to get all the oil off and out of the barrel, then i run a tight dry patch down the bore to dry it up . oil and powder don't mix,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rule of thumb: 👍 if pan ignition is reliable, it’s not the lock giving you slow ignition of the main charge. So, I doubt it’s a lock problem - you’re getting consistent pan ignition. I’m with reddogge- get a scraper “jag” and see if there’s crud near the touchhole at the breech. Almost every ignition problem I’ve had on guns with coned liners is due to crud buildup.

Guns with a straight drilled touchhole (which you don’t have) giving me ignition problems need a bigger diameter touch hole.

I don't mean slow as in too slow, but slower than a Kibler lock should be. I hear about the really fast lock time of those rifles and all the videos prove it. I mean they all seem so fast that no detectable delay is perceptible between the priming exploding and the gun firing. The smoke from the pan and the muzzle seem simultaneous. My 54 Colonial is not that fast. A shooter prone to flinching would find my rifle inferior. I learned not to flinch decades ago and am aware of a flintlock's needed attention. Flints are of the correct size. Touch hole 1/16th. Enough priming to cover the bottom of the pan. I always use a pick and look to see if the loaded 3F is visible. Oiled lock. The only thing I can think of is that when going by Jim's assembly videos I bought a spring vice and took the lock apart. I saw no need of any honing or polishing but that was my first lock dissassembly. Another hint might be that the trigger is harder to pull than it should be. Before I mail it to Jim for service, I'd like to ask for opinions on what I might do to correct it myself. And I thank you in advance.
I like and use Null-B for my prime in all my flint guns which basically is black powder dust.
I'd bet for hunting though I'd be better off with grained powder as I think is less susceptible to moisture.

With a properly operating flint gun it is hard for me to distinguish between flint or percussion concerning ignition time. They both sound and look instantaneous to my senses when both are functioning to full potential.

Make sure the flint is sharp and properly positioned in the lock.

Note: I am of the belief that time slows when firing a flintlock. I can hear the hxammer rotate and the flint scraping on the frizzen as the sparks start the powder burning. Then the ignition followed by the push of the recoil and the woosh of the jet of flame erupting through the touch hole. It seems to take seconds. I can reload the rifle and with everything the same hand that rifle to someone else to shoot. Firing is instant.

The next thing for @Mike in FL should do is have a video taken of his rifle as it fires. There may be a delay or his heightened senses with his new rifle may be at play.
Same for me. When I shoot I hear klack, whoosh, boom in what seems like seconds; pass it off to my wife and its almost instant.

Latest posts

Back