• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well, I ordered a Kibler yesterday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a Woods Runner kibler in 54 caliber. I asked for plain maple as I can “ age” it a little better and the plain maple shows off the carving a little better IMO. I’m not doing the carving myself, call me chicken, but I’m one of those fellas who can turn a 1300$ kit into a 600$ rifle!
I asked for possibly a 2nd or plain maple whichever I can get. Jim and Katherine are very easy to deal with. Hoping to hear from them in a month or so, but not could be longer than that. Then wife and I will be making the 3 hour drive to pick it up. Looking forward to getting it is an understatement!!

Last edited:
Happy for you.
I know you agonized over the decision so I hope it is all you imagine and more.
I actually did, colonial vs woods runner… I even considered the SMR.. but then realized the caliber wasn’t large enough for what I wanted… in the end, it came down to the LOP, the WR is 13-3/8 Colonial is 13-7/8 if I remember correctly, also colonial is quite a bit heavier, however, it was a tough decision buddy!

I ordered a Woods Runner kibler in 54 caliber. I asked for plain maple as I can “ age” it a little better and the plain maple shows off the carving a little better IMO. I’m not doing the carving myself, call me chicken, but I’m one of those fellas who can turn a 1300 kit into a 600 rifle!
I asked for possibly a 2nd or plain maple whichever I can get. Jim and Katherine are very easy to deal with. Hoping to hear from them in a month or so, but not could be longer than that. Then wife and I will be making the 3 hour drive to pick it up. Looking forward to getting it is an understatement!!
Congratulations! You're going to really like your choice.

It will be interesting if you get yours before I do...I ordered mine online about 4-5 weeks ago, I went with the extra fancy maple...I followed up with an email but haven't heard from them...The transaction has showed up on my credit card so I guess I have one ordered...

It will be interesting if you get yours before I do...I ordered mine online about 4-5 weeks ago, I went with the extra fancy maple...I followed up with an email but haven't heard from them...The transaction has showed up on my credit card so I guess I have one ordered...
Katherine had told me that since I was ordering plain maple and was even willing to settle for a 2nd, that I would most likely be getting it a little quicker than those who want the fancy maple, which is about a 6 month wait.

$1300 kit to $600 rifle, that statement made me laugh. I can relate!
To be honest, I could probably “ wing it”. I just don’t wanna wing it on a 1300$ kit. I have this Jackie Brown Fowler that I’ve been tinkering with..meaning I’ve been smoothing the humps out, reshaping some blockiness and I may try my hand at carving on it.. that one I can only improve upon, that would be like taking a 400$ Fowler and turning it into a 600$ Fowler… 😉

Katherine had told me that since I was ordering plain maple and was even willing to settle for a 2nd, that I would most likely be getting it a little quicker than those who want the fancy maple, which is about a 6 month wait.
Makes sense, funny thing is, I had emailed them wanting to know if that would matter, I was debating between walnut and curly maple, never heard back...I finally decided to go with the extra fancy maple because I didn't want to keep waiting...Most of the examples from this period have plain maple or even walnut...So that would be a little more period correct...

Makes sense, funny thing is, I had emailed them wanting to know if that would matter, I was debating between walnut and curly maple, never heard back...I finally decided to go with the extra fancy maple because I didn't want to keep waiting...Most of the examples from this period have plain maple or even walnut...So that would be a little more period correct...
I wouldn’t hesitate to call Kibler’s if you have a question on anything. They stay very busy, but I’ve always gotten through by phone and Lori will help you or get the message to Jim or Katherine.

Plain maple in .54 for me. My plain maple Colonial had some figure in it and my most recently finished Lancaster and the presentation grade stocked kit I’m building now are CM4 and then some. The wood can be chippy and tough to work. I like the straighter grained wood!

You will be happy with the Woodsrunner over the Colonial. I have both in .54 cal. The weight differance and the pointability of the
Woodsrunner over the Colonial makes it the winner for me. I ordered my kit in fancy grade and was fortunate to be in the first shipping of Woodsrunner kits. And also like you I had someone else do the carving. Glad I did because it turned out great. They shoot great too.

Back