• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are Kibler barrels interchangeable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone on this forum suggested that if one were to order a new Kibler rifle, it's possible to order a second barrel in a different caliber and it will drop right in.

I'm considering his Woodsman with carving. It is only available in .45, .50 and .54 caliber. Would it be possible to order one of those, but then also get a barrel from Jim or someone else in a .36 cal that would drop in? I realize that he sells .36 in his SMR, but I believe those are longer barrels. Maybe it's possible to have it cut down?

Thanks in advance.
Rob

I did that and had good success. A couple of months after I received my 50 cal Kibler Colonial, After confirming the addition was possible with Kibler, I ordered a 58 cal barrel. Both were Green Mountain barrels which was an important factor. It was basically a drop-in, requiring only that I drill out the pin escutcheons which was quite easy. I added the front/rear sights which we’re the same as my 50 cal, and finished the barrel with minor draw filing and graying..same as the original 50 cal.
Wood/metal fit was perfect. Both barrels shoot superbly, and can be switched in a few minutes.
4A41D057-02C2-410D-ACD5-CB03D1BE1604.jpeg68939CDE-D664-4687-A2CE-8557449FC2A5.jpeg

Rob, from what I know, you can change barrels within each style rifle but not between rifles. The Woodsrunner is short, all barrels are swamped. I've considered ordering a .32 for my SMR but it's more fun just to buy and finish out a whole 'nuther kit, so I'm saving my pennies for that.

I think Kibler has to rifle his own sub-45 GM barrels, or used to at least, so getting a .32 or .36 profiled to the Woodsrunner stock might be doable but would be a very custom order and I doubt Jim can budget time for that. Never hurts to call and ask, though.

Rob, from what I know, you can change barrels within each style rifle but not between rifles. The Woodsrunner is short, all barrels are swamped. I've considered ordering a .32 for my SMR but it's more fun just to buy and finish out a whole 'nuther kit, so I'm saving my pennies for that.

I think Kibler has to rifle his own sub-45 GM barrels, or used to at least, so getting a .32 or .36 profiled to the Woodsrunner stock might be doable but would be a very custom order and I doubt Jim can budget time for that. Never hurts to call and ask, though.
This is what I had assumed too.. It's probably obvious already that I'm not a "builder," but rather a hobbyist who is handy with tools. I wish it were convenient for me to lay hands on his SMR and Woodsrunner.. Would love to be able to see them in person. I haven't made it to any of the various shows where he and other builders go, as they are all pretty far from where I reside, and I'm not retired yet either so getting time off to do a trek isn't in the cards for me.

I did that and had good success. A couple of months after I received my 50 cal Kibler Colonial, After confirming the addition was possible with Kibler, I ordered a 58 cal barrel. Both were Green Mountain barrels which was an important factor. It was basically a drop-in, requiring only that I drill out the pin escutcheons which was quite easy. I added the front/rear sights which we’re the same as my 50 cal, and finished the barrel with minor draw filing and graying..same as the original 50 cal.
Wood/metal fit was perfect. Both barrels shoot superbly, and can be switched in a few minutes.
View attachment 231969View attachment 231970
This is really impressive! I'd love to be able to do what you did here, but in the Woodsrunner, since it now has the carving option and is a little shorter, which contrasts to my other longer flintlock. I'm interested in a "squirrel caliber," so probably .36 or maybe .40, but then also a larger caliber too. As it stands, I'd have to compromise with a .45, which isn't a bad option at all either... I don't have the budget to keep buying additional flinters, else I'd just buy additional...

I have multiple barrels for multiple SMRs. The only thing to gives any trouble is the pin slots in the barrel loops.

If you fit multiple barrels to the same stock it works out great. Be careful of the tang, they are delicate on the SMR.

Multiple calibers is an excuse for multiple rifles! You can not have to many Kiblers.

I posted this last Wednesday on this forum...regarding a .36 Woodsrunner which would have been a dream rifle for me:

"Recent first time Kibler experience. I have a custom SMR flintlock in .36 for over 30 years and love that caliber, perfect for my range shooting and small game, extremely accurate and very economical to shoot and may have had over 1000 rounds through it problem free.

I liked the new Woodsrunner flintlock with the beautiful new carvings so entered a request to Kibler with every premium option, best grade maple, double set triggers, in the white, carvings, etc. I knew it would be expensive, most likely close to $3k delivered! The order was turned down because I requested a .36 cal. No reason, just asked to choose one of the stock calibers or order a Kibler SMR in .36 cal. There were 2 more email requests from Kibler for me to change my choice to a SMR in .36 cal.

I just ordered a very similar design (to the Kibler woodsrunner) flintlock rifle in .36 from a custom rifle maker. Very happy."

NOTE: if seems simple as Kibler ordering a correct length .36 barrel from his barrel supplier, it seems to be a no brainer; ..Kiblers barrel supplier would most likely turn flips to provide a Woodsrunner length bbl. in .36 cal! Negative...Mr. Kibler's answer was as follows:

"Yes, we do not offer the Woodsrunner in .36 caliber. No apologies. It's too small for this style of rifle in my opinion. As to your message not being answered, a little patience is often good. We are swamped with orders and it takes a while to get through the requests. Add on the fact that we just spent 4 days in the hospital with a sick child, and I'm sure you can understand.

Many do not understand that we ship many, many rifles each week. Although it sounds like custom orders would be easy, I can tell you they are not and we often make mistakes with them and loose money. We are a production shop. Not a custom shop.

Sorry we weren't able to help you out. Good luck with your custom build. Hope you chose an excellent builder.

Jim"

It would seem to me that Kibler would just state: Here is the up charge for a special order extra drop-in .36 bbl.? If that had been the case, I would not have hesitated one minute to place the order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you must be seriously offended! From the outside it's clear that you don't understand our shop and how it works.

We buy barrel blanks (barstock with the hole reamed and rifled) and then do the rest. We don't stock barrel blanks that would work for your request. So this would have to be special ordered. We would then have to track this through the process, make sure it is properly marked on the machine and not mixed with other barrels.

All this is possible, but it takes much more attention than you would imagine in a production shop. Also if you say okay to one custom order, then you end up agreeing to more. Before long you have a mess on your hands. We've been down this road before.

We have to keep laser focused on what our objectives are and the best way to achieve them. There is sometimes a trade-off, but that's life.

Jim

No Jim, not offended in the least...posts above indicate others are interested in a Kibler Woodsrunner .36; I was simply quoting my request and your response from a previous post in order to pass on your information. No disrespect intended! Being a long time entrepreneur myself, I completely understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand Jim Kibler's reason not to do special orders. I don't know what the status of Woodsrunner orders are now, but from the time Jim got the WR up and running, he was swamped with orders just for the offered calibers. Doing special orders for non-offered calibers and spec's would have really slowed things down. Guess it's like going shopping for an item in one store, they don't carry it you go to another store. Good luck on your quest.

No Jim, not offended in the least...posts above indicate others are interested in a Kibler Woodsrunner .36; I was simply quoting my request and your response from a previous post in order to pass on your information. No disrespect intended! Being a long time entrepreneur myself, I completely understand.
You might contact Bobby Hoyt on this. If your able to purchase a spare Woodsrunner barrel, Bobby can probably create any caliber your want.

All this is possible, but it takes much more attention than you would imagine in a production shop. Also if you say okay to one custom order, then you end up agreeing to more. Before long you have a mess on your hands. We've been down this road before.
Jim, first off I hope that your child is doing well after their stay in the hospital.

Great job explaining the problems with trying to change a production work flow for a one off. It is unfortunate that many people that have never worked in a production environment don't understand what the ramifications can be for making a so called "minor change."

From what I can tell from the three guns that I have purchased from you is, that you and your team understand what continuous improvement is and have great pride of workmanship.

Polecat Tom
Director of Quality Processes - Retired

Latest posts

Back