• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it uncool to use Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I have no issue with Pyrodex or its use. Like Dave above, I respect it for essentially saving the sport at one time. I should also mention that its creator lost his life developing it. I’ve burned pounds of the stuff & even more real black. I can find no difference in corrosiveness or ease/difficulty in cleaning. I get no more shots between barrel swabbing. I find it requires the same prompt cleaning as real black. Its primary advantage seems to be less storing/shipping regulations, though I do get a bit more velocity too. However, I do find it harder to ignite (no surprise, really). As such, I stopped using it in Sidelock guns (yes, it will work in a percussion gun but not with the same reliability as real black, though the difference isn’t great). As a BP substitute it is absolutely inferior to Blackhorn 209 (NOT “buckhorn” 209), but in all fairness BH209 is easily superior to literally every other BP substitute too. Nowadays if a rifle will handle BH209, I use it. If it won’t, I use real black. So basically I use real black in all my traditional guns. In my inlines I use BH209 with the exception of some earlier models with plunger ignition, in those I just use real black too. I still keep some Pyrodex around but I rarely use it. All this being said, I don’t look down on its use because it can be damn convenient due to simply being available & works in a percussion gun if care is taken in its use. Sorry for the long post.
https://www.namlhunt.com/ml-lookingback2.html

Nothing wrong with using Pyrodex if that's all you can get. I have a couple pounds on hand but haven't used it in quite some time. A couple of my guns seem to shoot good with Triple 7, which I use a lot of lately.

If you have a flintlock rifle, Pyrodex is definitely uncool. Too many uncool steps to get it to go off.

If you have a percussion lock rifle and your shooting needs only require the use of a pound of powder and the only powder available is Pyrodex or one of the other substitute powders, then the choice is quite cool.

I have never cared about what people that I don’t know think about me, makes life easier and more enjoyable. That being said I have used Pyrodex and even have some on the shelf as of now. But I do like the real black powder and will use it until I can't get it anymore. I do have enough for awhile but I go through a little less than a pound a week. My habits are out of control. As long as the wife don't know all is good.

Attachments

• 20220927_132359.jpg
    20220927_132359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
There are two drawbacks to Pyrodex. Because it needs higher temperatures to ignite it doesn't work in flintlocks. The other drawback is the perchlorate base makes it much more corrosive than real black powder. Perchlorates are salts that attack the surface of the bore from the moment of ignition. You can minimize the damage by cleaning with water to dissolve the salts as soon as you can after firing. Over time though micro pitting will develop no matter how quickly the bore is cleaned.

Since I shoot flintlocks almost exclusively, I shoot black powder only.

in reality, if you repackaged it in a goex bp bottle and used it at a range 90% of the stuffed shirts(me) wouldn't recognize any difference in the report of smoke cloud.
there, i feel better telling the truth!
You ams awesome ds:ThankYou:

J
There are two drawbacks to Pyrodex. Because it needs higher temperatures to ignite it doesn't work in flintlocks. The other drawback is the perchlorate base makes it much more corrosive than real black powder. Perchlorates are salts that attack the surface of the bore from the moment of ignition. You can minimize the damage by cleaning with water to dissolve the salts as soon as you can after firing. Over time though micro pitting will develop no matter how quickly the bore is cleaned.

Since I shoot flintlocks almost exclusively, I shoot black powder only.
Black is my go to as I shoot real guns. Most of the time. I have some of The Satanic P on hand, Mia Culpa Mia Culpa. I even have shot it in real guns, and horror of horrors one has to take an extra step😳gasp!
What’s you data base of showing it’s more damaging even if the gun is cleaned properly at the end of a shooting session?
Not arguing here, I’m not disputing you, it just seems some boys have shot it for years with out problems

Pyrodex is not uncool, but elitism is.

Pyrodex may be all you can get. If that is the case, by all means use it. People have been experimenting with various propellants for muzzleloaders for a long time. Pyrodex has just outlasted a lot of its competition.

Real black powder is more traditional, but realistically, it is a better choice for muzzleloaders for practical reasons. It is easier to ignite, is easier to clean up after, and the fouling is generally conceded to be less corrosive when compared to Pyrodex. I have shot Pyrodex when it was all I could get, but I like to detail clean my guns after shooting and corrosion was not a problem. However, in my own experience good black powder leaves fouling that is soft and fluffy, for the most part. Pyrodex fouling, for me, was dry and adherent. I think black powder smells better when it detonates... More like good old sulphur and less like some toxic chemical. Black powder will keep indefinitely, and will outlast you if you don't shoot it up. Even if it gets wet, you can dry it out and still use it. On the other hand, I believe to my soul Pyrodex has a limited shelf life, even when properly stored.

Given a choice, black powder is almost always better, but if Pyrodex is all you can get, or even if you just like it better, there is no reason not to use it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I think Pyro is mostly used by hunters that aren't that much into the historical end of muzzleloaders, but just want more hunting time. IMHO
When I started muzzleloading, all I could get locally was Pyrodex. I'm primarily a hunter but also interested in the historical aspect to a degree. If I just wanted more hunting time I would use a modern inline, but I have zero interest in them, I just like the old time guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back