• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it uncool to use Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually when GOEX shut down and powder became scare not long after, I took the extra powder I had in my stash -- 12 pounds of 3F, 2F and 4F -- and handed it out to my muzzleloading club so they all had powder to shoot. I still have a little real BP with about the same amount of Pyrodex. I have plenty to last several good years.

yes the death penalty should be invoked on any pyrodex users
I disagree very strongly with such comments.
Understand I am not a fan of subs and Pyrodex in particular.
Having said that if a substitute be it Pyrodex. APP, or 777 is all a shooter can get more power to them. Pour it down your rag nose gun barrel, bang away and make smoke.
While I have a couple of them I question the sanity of striking a rock on a piece of steel for ignition when a small, simple, copper cap is more weather proof and efficient.
Resident Practicing Curmudgeon
Bunk

I disagree very strongly with such comments.
Understand I am not a fan of subs and Pyrodex in particular.
Having said that if a substitute be it Pyrodex. APP, or 777 is all a shooter can get more power to them. Pour it down your rag nose gun barrel, bang away and make smoke.
While I have a couple of them I question the sanity of striking a rock on a piece of steel for ignition when a small, simple, copper cap is more weather proof and efficient.
Resident Practicing Curmudgeon
Bunk
well that sounds like a lot of bunk. lol what I said was sarcasm :ghostly:

I prefer real blackpowder and I can get it from my gun club on a group buy. But if all you can get reasonably is a substitute use it and don't worry about the naysayers. At least you are shooting and enjoying yourself, just remember that you can't use them in a flintlock. Good luck shooting. PS: you do have to clean up promptly if using pyrodex.

well that sounds like a lot of bunk. lol what I said was sarcasm :ghostly:
Actually my SASS alias is Bunk because of a man named
James Lewis "Bunk" Stagner who lived near and ran cattle on what was then free range that is now property I own.
In fact his son was murdered at a place in my east pasture.
I adapted the alias BUNK in tribute to him with his place the history of Fayette County Texas.
And that is not bunk that is history look it up.
J. L. "Bunk" Stagner

I’ve never been to Europe. Have been to Australia, and like America is wide open spaces.
It is funny for an American to think about. This weekend I going about three hours to an event, just about the middle of tge state. That would be near half way across your country.
When I meet Europeans who are here for the first time the size is about the first thing they comment on.

Well, since my usual stomping grounds are either Eastern Canada or the Pacific North West, you can be sure that I feel the pinch here in UK. However, the time and energy it requires to negotiate even minor distances here give a measure of reference.

You gots to remember that here in UK, the usual 1/25000 Land Ranger mapping shows items as small as telephone booths and any waterway larger than 2 feet across.

This shows ALL of UK overlaid on British Columbia....

1686572902115.png

And here is the UK overlaid on the United States, just as a matter of interest...

1686573427395.png

Last edited:
James Lewis "Bunk" Stagner who lived near and ran cattle on what was then free range that is now property I own.
I adapted the alias BUNK in tribute to him with his place the history of Fayette County Texas.
J. L. "Bunk" Stagner
I believe you

Listening to a podcast yesterday an apparently famous competition shooter in the East somewhere was being interviewed, and at the mention of Pyrodex he and the interviewer both snorted as if using Pyrodex is akin to wearing white after Labor Day. I'm not a Pyrodex enthusiast, but when I got back into muzzleloading it's all I could find locally. I prefer Swiss, and eventually found some.
What propellent do the Kardashians use?
🤣

Sure opened a bag of worms with this one! I use both. I've posted on here that I use pyrodex P in my 32 sidelock when squirrel hunting due to the fact I can get more shots before swabbing. I miss a lot, so I need that if the freezer in hungry. At the range, no difference in accuracy between the 2 that I can tell. I use black in everything else I own. Same as when I shot traditional Archery before I lost one of my eyes. Cedar arrows sure smell nice when you break one, but I can shot a lot more with carbon. My 2 cents.

I have always used either Goex or Pyrodex. I have had good luck with both. I prefer Goex.

Are you allowed to shoot ML there?

Yes, we can. We have the Muzzleloading Association of Great Britain with its own dedicated BP range at Wedknock in the Midlands.

I guess you've missed out my three or four thousand posts about shooting in UK. In fact, I'm off to the range in about ten minutes for the rest of the day. For ML-ing I have a Ruger Old Army, a Parker-Hale .577cal Musketoon, a Parker-Hale .451cal Whitworth rifle and an original .577cal Volunteer rifle made by Robert Pritchett of Pritchett bullet fame. And nineteen other rifles, three of which are BP cartridge shooters.....

Last edited:
If I have to use 777, I will. Finally made it to Friendship, 2 hour drive, this past weekend and picked up 4 pounds of Swiss. That is the closest place around my area that sells bp.

Ran
J. L. "Bunk" Stagner
Hello Bunk was my great great grandfather, would it be possible connect outside of the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back