• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Instant gratification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was the last day of our gun deer season here in Wisconsin (4 day doe hunt this weekend.) I didn't go out today, so I decided to get rid of the load in my gun. I had a block of ice that was left over from a frozen ice cream bucket 1/4 full of water. (forgot to dump out after cleaning a week or two ago...) I found a tree where it would hang nicely and gave myself about 75 yards...took aim and fired! NEAT! Explosion of ice. Do doubt I would have killed a deer!

It got me thinking about targets that would give some safe instant feedback, and may be fun as well. I really enjoy shooting paper, but I think some other targets would be enjoyable as well. Does anyone use any other types of targets that are safe, fun, and give the instant feedback? I have used the .22 spinner targets and they come in larger calibers as well, but just curious of anything else that may be out there for some fun shooting during the off season.

Take care,
Falco

Our clubs BP range is also the silouette range. Knocking over steel chickens, etc.. is kinda neat.

A few of my friends and I pool out plastic milk jugs, ice tea jugs, orange juice jugs, etc, you get the picture. We fill em up with water and put them out in the field. When you hit them with a rb they explode. Pretty cool. We collect them from the guy who fills the soda machine at work. They hold syrup. He gets us at least two dozen or more a week. Its a blast.

Another member posted a neat one. He fill a 5 gal plastic bucket with water, and a direct hit results in a geyser. He kept a roll of duct tape handy to patch the holes so repeated shooting was possible.
bramble

I'm a diehard plinker, hence my name. Shooting at metal silhuettes is fun and so are the steel plinking stands. My favorite is probably clay pigeons. I've always set them all over at unknown distances. It's a good way to get the feel for your gun's windage and it helps you range by eye. Nothing is as fun as blowing up milk cartons full of water though! :)

Clay pidgeons, fruit, potatoes, tomatoes. Zuccini, and pumkins not too good, too spongy. I get all the free out of date pop cans from work. (I am a service tech for Coke). I have also made spinning targets from 3/8"-1/2" steel plate. These also report with a nice twang when you score!

Try some charcoal brickets or eggs hung on a string at 25 yards, they are both fun targets.

Shooting that ice must have been great!

For ease & sheer enjoyment it is hard to beat water jugs. They are also fairly easy to police up after the fun.

Used to shoot where there was some wet clay type soil. Made up various clay targets formed in old containers.

They "exploded" real nice when good & dry and no clean up needed.

:blah: Another really fun target is a railroad track bomb, fasten them up way out, you will know when you hit it.

The water jug full of water is neat. To add a bit more fun, get a partner with a smoothbore loaded with shot. Fill the milk jug with water, balance an empty tin can on the top of the jug. Rifle shooter shoot the milk jug which will push the tin can up into the air, now the smoothbore shooter shoots at the can. We call this rabbit and quail, quite fun. Can make a contest out of it if you have enough shooters.

For fun shooting we use clay pidgeons or plaster board squares cut to different sizes.

snagg

GEES that title scare't me! :shocked2: didn't know where we was goin????????? :redface: favorite target.. :hmm: be either bowlin pins,,dang they LOOK big! or reebar ...horizontal and vertical..... :youcrazy: RC

Most scrap metal yards will let you 'go shopping' for scrap steel. Look for steel disks or squares say around 4" dia./square or larger for a 50 yard target. 1/8" thick will do but 1/4" is better. Get some scrap #4 rebar, about 8' for each target. cut the rebar into 4' lengths and weld a 'leg' on each side. jam the legs or hammer into the ground with the target upside and facing you for 50 yd. plinking. spray with cheap paint to keep track of hits with a scope. lets out with a satisfying 'whack' when hit and the lead won't go far after inpact. As with any shooting, be sure of what is downrange. move closer for pistol practice. this is a spinoff of metal target shooting or knock-over shooting. Not bragging but my CVA .50 is dead on a 4" target every time off-hand at 50 yards. And my "58 Rem. Pietta at 25 yards. Most shooting ranges will allow this type target if they allow metal silouhette. Lot's of fun, sometimes we bet a buck a shot, it's who misses that has to pay the rest of the shooters. :thumbsup:

I just folded a small business and have four expensive yard signs that'll do great at 100 yards. Can't wait :hatsoff:

You, my friend, are a prime candidate to become what is commonly known as a "Trap Bum". Shooting at flying discs of hardened clay with a scattergun is great fun. Where else can you shoot a gun and break things? Inastant gratification - you bet. Unles you miss, then its a bummer.

Take an old egg carton and fill the holes with plast and stick a popcicle stick in before they harden.Stick them up and bang away.... :v

When I shoot a "round of golf", the "round" is the ball and if it's hit squarly while sitting on top of the 25 yard berm it usually flys over 100 yards. :grin:

zonie :)

Zonie said:
When I shoot a "round of golf", the "round" is the ball and if it's hit squarly while sitting on top of the 25 yard berm it usually flys over 100 yards. :grin:

zonie :)
OH Zonie....that's must be the tiger in you!!! :rotf: stay out'a the woods! RC

Coke cans full of water (or coke if your'e not thirsty) with a .22, great fun, splits 'em like a banana. I never thought to try it with the smokepole :hmm:
Smokey. :grin:

Just be sure not to do this with anything low-powered like an airgun or .22 CB, because then golf balls shoot back!

Steve

Latest posts

Back