• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Round Balls From SxS 12g

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felonious

Is not actually a convicted felon.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just made an impulse buy and ended up with hundreds of .490 Hornady lead round balls. Whatever whatever cloth I was using the first time to patch them was giving me a hundred yard accuracy in my rifle, but now I'm getting maybe 50. Time to experiment with some new patches.

Anyway, for fun, I put three RB' s over 80 grains of powder in my 12g SxS, and was actually impressed with the results. I have a modified and improved choke. I wish I took more photographs, but it was raining and there were lots of other holes in the targets. 777 / op card / heavy nitro card / 3 RB's / a lubed wad on top / and an overshot card on top of that.

My targets are about a foot and a half by 1 ft, and I was consistently putting all three round balls into the target from 40 or 50 yards. Most of the time two would double up, and one would fly about 6 in away from the initial impact, although sometimes they would spread to about a foot, still well within the "kill zone", especially considering that they're 50 caliber round balls. Power didn't seem to be an issue, they were putting holes in the pan I use as a target that even some modern ammunition isn't capable of penetrating at similar distances. There's thumb sized holes in steel that's over a quarter inch.

Unfortunately, I can use a single PRB for hunting from a rifle or smooth bore, but I'm not allowed to use a shotgun for anything other than waterfowl. I would much prefer to use my "6 shooter" shotgun for deer over my single projectile muzzleloader.

Just thought I'd share my experience, I had no idea I would have such good results.

Last edited:
You should try some round balls that will just fit past the chokes. Powder, a felt wad or some tow, bare ball then your lubed felt wad and os card or whatever you prefer on top. If for no other reason than to see what it will do. You may just end up with another deer gun.

You should try some round balls that will just fit past the chokes. Powder, a felt wad or some tow, bare ball then your lubed felt wad and os card or whatever you prefer on top. If for no other reason than to see what it will do. You may just end up with another deer gun.
I can hunt legally with single projectile slugs...🤔

Might be worth looking into, that Pedersoli SxS is an absolute beast, The patterning is incredible, and the kinetic energy it can put down range is staggering. Accuracy is reliably impressive for a shotgun, especially from a side-by-side. I must have got a well manufactured one (although it was a kit, and I took my time.)

I have enough .490s that I could definitely buy a mold and melt some slugs. Might be worth considering.

Back