• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wasting powder & caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have noticed, especially on Youtube videos, that when a lot of shooters are loading black powder guns, they will pour quite a bit more powder into a powder measure than necessary, then just knock off the top dumping the "excess" on the bench, or the ground. I swear some people waste enough after ten shots to recharge the gun again. I have found, since powder is approching the value of gold, that I now am more careful about overfilling the powder measure. How about you? Anyone fill their measures over a smooth, clean surface so you can recover the overflow?
And, I see shooters preparing for a shooting session that will pop three or four caps on a nipple to ensure that it's clear. A bit unnecessary I think. I realize that some people have money "to burn" but not me.
But hey, it's their powder, caps, and money so have at it.

.... when a lot of shooters are loading black powder guns, they will pour quite a bit more powder into a powder measure than necessary, then just knock off the top dumping the "excess" on the bench, or the ground. I...

This is why pre-measuring powder at home and putting it in plastic tubes has its benefits.

Yes, and that's why I'm working on some method that's hopefully functional but not necessarily PC for pre-measured charges. I don't particularly like the plastic tubes. The ones I bought are way too big and are a waste of space in my range kit. I'm working on disposable paper powder cartridges for each load that I use. Maybe including the ball; maybe not.

Something on the order of a "winter project", so don't expect any posts about it any time soon.

Though .... we did have three inches of snow already yesterday .... AAAAKKKK!!!!

Last edited:
I have noticed, especially on Youtube videos, that when a lot of shooters are loading black powder guns, they will pour quite a bit more powder into a powder measure than necessary, then just knock off the top dumping the "excess" on the bench, or the ground. I swear some people waste enough after ten shots to recharge the gun again. I have found, since powder is approching the value of gold, that I now am more careful about overfilling the powder measure. How about you? Anyone fill their measures over a smooth, clean surface so you can recover the overflow?
And, I see shooters preparing for a shooting session that will pop three or four caps on a nipple to ensure that it's clear. A bit unnecessary I think. I realize that some people have money "to burn" but not me.
But hey, it's their powder, caps, and money so have at it.
I don't like waste either ,why I use a scale and load lots of Lanes tubes at my bench at home mark them type/weight and absolutely know no waste/dampness/will happen/Ed

I'm working on disposable paper powder cartridges
I bought a box-full of the rolled paper reenactor tubes on ebay, and have enough for my forever.
We use them in the Texas Army. Some events allow pouring powder and then ramming the paper tube, or else we drop the empty tubes on the ground.
You can fill the tubes with your own powder loads at home, and you're ready for the field.
For our salutes and battle reenactments, I like about 100 grains of 2F or 3F, and gets LOTS of smoke and flame.
It looks GLORIOUS! :thumb:

There is a combination flask and measure that fills the measure and no powder is wasted. You can search for the valve and make a cap for a powder container and use a 1/2" diameter measure. the following is one of my recommendations and a link to the flask offered by RMC-OX Yoke:
It is so convenient to shop from one supplier, but I have found that sometimes it does pay to shop several vendors. Sometimes you can bundle orders to ger free shipping.

One of the nicest powder measure/flask combinations I have come across is either the Traditions flask and spout or the Knight Flask and spout. Must be popular as many places (Midway USA) are out of stock and others such as RMC-OX Yoke have limited supply. The best feature of the flask and measure combination is that any 1/2" diameter measure can be used. I have also seen the valve that can be adapted for use with a powder can. I'm providing a link to the RMC-OX Yoke offering.

https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/knight-powder-measure-w-flask/

Latest posts

Back