• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wasting powder & caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a box-full of the rolled paper reenactor tubes on ebay, and have enough for my forever.
We use them in the Texas Army. Some events allow pouring powder and then ramming the paper tube, or else we drop the empty tubes on the ground.
You can fill the tubes with your own powder loads at home, and you're ready for the field.
For our salutes and battle reenactments, I like about 100 grains of 2F or 3F, and gets LOTS of smoke and flame.
It looks GLORIOUS! :thumb:
Sounds like tons of fun! Enjoy it!

Hey John, where did you find the paper tubes?
On ebay.
I found these just now.

125 Civil War Musket 9/16" .580" Paper Tubes for Reenactment Blanks

Just copy and google this name, and you'll find different sizes from other sellers.
125 tubes for $5.25 + $8 shipping.

Cheap and no-worry.
I like that.

From Buffalo Arms website
Will cost approximately 26 dollars plus the cost of the MTM box plus shipping.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/2-dram-water-proof-glass-vials-pvc2.html?qty=100
Now you can take your pre-measured black powder charges in glass vials for your muzzleloader to the range, holds over 150 grains of black powder. These are non static glass vials with a waterproof screw top, be careful of the plastic vials seen elsewhere that are not made of non static plastic. This will keep you from having bulk black powder on the line for safety of you and those around you. Popular with the competitors in black powder muzzleloader matches. Shown with item #TDCFWH, MYMS252030 and Swiss black powder which are not included, but a good way to fill them.

These fit perfectly in our MTM ammo boxes item number MTMS252030 or click here to see MTM 25 Round 20 Gauge Ammo Box. The ammo box, funnel & black powder is sold separately and is not included with the vials.
If
I bought a box-full of the rolled paper reenactor tubes on ebay, and have enough for my forever.
We use them in the Texas Army. Some events allow pouring powder and then ramming the paper tube, or else we drop the empty tubes on the ground.
You can fill the tubes with your own powder loads at home, and you're ready for the field.
For our salutes and battle reenactments, I like about 100 grains of 2F or 3F, and gets LOTS of smoke and flame.
It looks GLORIOUS! :thumb:
if you know anybody working in a hospital or medical lab you may be able to get some expired vacutainer tubes. These are the little tubes they use to take blood samples. They have different colors of stoppers because they start with a little stabilized liquid in them specific to the type of test. They have an expiry date and although the common tests get reordered often for the less common ones the unused ones may go past expiry and get thrown out. Just pull the cap and soak in hot water to flush the stabilizer out. They typically have a plastic liner that you can pull out and discard. Give them a rinse with a little soapy water, air dry and they will be static free. Mine hold up to about 65gr of 2F.

Free is good

Here in Oz, we are paying from $165 - $185 for 1kg bottle of Swiss or Wano.
I bought Magnum Caps a week ago @ $ 27.50 per 100.
Consider that our Dollar gets about $0.63c U.S.
We don't waste a thing over here any more. 😂🤣😂🤣🇦🇺
At the Range I double check that the bore is clean and dry with 1 x dry Patch. I then stuff that patch tightly into the muzzle and pop off 1 x Cap.
If it doesn't shoot that patch out at least 3 or 4 feet I go again.

For me, it ain't about the waste, it's about the very real fire hazard with loose black powder. After setting off a VERY small amount spilled onto my shooting bench firing a flintlock on a windy day, don't want to experience that again.

When I spill powder, I want it to go into the dirt/leaves/mud. I spill stuff. Often.

45+ years ago, when I worked in a furniture factory, the guys who ran the machinery saved plastic tubes and caps that various cutter bits, like router bits came in. They were handy for carrying powder charges. I have since lost all the ones I had. The factory is no longer in business.

Last edited:
for my cap and ball revolver, I wrap cigarette paper around a 3/8" dowel and glue the side and one end after folding it over the end of the dowel. Fill these at home with my charge of black powder and twist the end closed. To load, I take the twisted end and break it on the edge of the cylinder and pour the powder in then insert the paper in the cylinder as wadding / spacer before ramming the ball down. Carried a bunch of them in an old aluminum film canister what had a screw top. Made larger paper tubes out of brown paper for my large bore rifles.

The ones that aren't made specifically for black powder charge loading might, IMO. But I'm no plastics expert.
Roger! My point is just be careful. I know the glass vials are not cheap but they will last and along with the 20 gauge cartridge box it keeps everything nice and neat. What ever you choose just keep enjoying the hobby.
Joe

I love overfilling my measure & striking of the excess into the wind. Makes me feel period correct. Another thread started by someone that is concerned & paying attention on You Tube to what OTHER SHOOTERS are wasting! Really?
I doubt many shooters in the 1700-1800’s wasted much powder.

I've only ever used the plastic tubes for my in-line. For my powder horn and antler measure, I like having one of the spring-loaded valves on the horn. You tip up the horn into the measure and push the button. You don't even have to look. When you release the button and pull it away from the measure, it's full and there's no waste. Well, almost full. Mine leaves a little space left in the measure unfilled, but that works out to be the right amount. A 50gr measure will come away with 45gr, but that's what I want for my 40 cal. The valve also eliminates the chances of the plug getting knocked out and possibly losing powder while walking around.

I wipe my bore with a damped alcohol patch. Then put the patch back on the jag,push it down.
Pop a cap that way it shows my fire channel is clear. The patch catches any particles.
Load and fire.
I use an adjustable measure.
When I was shooting a lot of competition I used small plastic tubes loaded the day prior to the shoot.
Each tube would hold 100 grains. I use 80 in my Tryon 54.

On ebay.
I found these just now.

125 Civil War Musket 9/16" .580" Paper Tubes for Reenactment Blanks

Just copy and google this name, and you'll find different sizes from other sellers.
125 tubes for $5.25 + $8 shipping.

Cheap and no-worry.
I like that.
Cheap is nice. Some people like free. For those in the States with access to a Chase Bank, it might be of interest to know that Chase will give you coin roll paper for free. Sturdy paper, chokes off well or can be pinched, folded and glued to solid seal one end. The US dime rolls make decent paper cartridges for Brown Bess with a .715 round ball. I choke the ball at each end and dip lube with melted SPG. There is plenty of paper to fold over the powder charge. I do not tear the paper open, I just unfold it, pinch it back open and pour. For shot cups, I simply use the dime rolls the same as making an 1855 US expanding ball cartridge powder cylinder - squared off dowel inside, fold an end off and a dab of Elmer's glue to seal it. Nearly instant cup for no cost except a dab of glue. These coin rolls could easily be made into pre-measured powder charge containers.

1699184752997.jpeg

Last edited:
I have noticed, especially on Youtube videos, that when a lot of shooters are loading black powder guns, they will pour quite a bit more powder into a powder measure than necessary, then just knock off the top dumping the "excess" on the bench, or the ground. I swear some people waste enough after ten shots to recharge the gun again. I have found, since powder is approching the value of gold, that I now am more careful about overfilling the powder measure. How about you? Anyone fill their measures over a smooth, clean surface so you can recover the overflow?
And, I see shooters preparing for a shooting session that will pop three or four caps on a nipple to ensure that it's clear. A bit unnecessary I think. I realize that some people have money "to burn" but not me.
But hey, it's their powder, caps, and money so have at it.
I don't spend a lot of time on youtube, but I think a lot of the videos you see may have been done pre-2020.
I used to dump a bit, not a lot, but I did not not think much of it back when powder was around $10/lb and always available.
I however never been able to just go to my local store and buy it either - on line only or through local clubs (and get cheated)....I did find ONE firing range that carried it but even it was hit and miss. I kept my stock up and knew my next 5 to 8 pounds was just a UPS weight away.

But since it began hitting $16, 18, 20, $25 a pound! I have become much more prudent and at best might lose a grain or two, an occasional 'accident' and there goes enough to prime a pan....but no use crying over spilt powder.

CAPs; I am much more resourceful these days too but I still pop off one (per nipple) to avoid 'more costly' troubles.

As far as YouTube and movies go: I think One is When the video was made and Two if current then it's just show off.
Then there are those who Don't pay for it (donations, work for this or that, etc).

I gotta say, after reading all these posts from start to finish:
You guys make Muzzleloading sound So Difficult!!

And if I have to start carrying everything in glass and plastic and weighing it all: I will just toss my Flintlock and Percussions and get me one of them all synthetic Abominations and hang out in their forum!

Rifle
Ball bag
Powder horn
Measure horn
pour with care
FIRE!!

Of course Percussion is a bit more complicated: tin for caps, a caper or delicate fingers.
And of course patching and lube (I prefer pre-lube; no bottle required)

Now if I can just mount a Red Dot and night vision telescopic then I wont waist Lead by missing the target!! 🤯

Latest posts

Back