• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How i make my caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Everyone here is likely already aware of my 3d printed caps but I figured I'd show how I go about making my compound for them, which is the FH42 compound. I start with potassium chlorate, sulfur and antimony trisulfide.
20240307_213746.jpg

Then I use a scale that has very fine measurement and also measures in pretty much all different units but I use grains.
20240307_213807.jpg

I start by measuring out 47 grains of the chlorate, 30 grains of the antimony and 21 grains of the sulfur and dump them together in a little glass dish.

Now this is where I differ a bit from everybody else because this is actually quite a bit of compound but I add isopropyl alcohol to it until it is all just wetted. Now that's it all soaked it can be mixed together quite judiciously as it's inert in this wet state. This is also when I add about 6 drops of Duco cement. When I get a uniform gray slurry it's ready to transfer to the caps.
20240307_213818.jpg

I use a toothpick to grab a round glob and drop it into a cup, and repeat until I have a bunch filled.
20240307_213825.jpg

They look full when the compound is still wet but they will dry to where they can be tamped down with a tool that i made.. it's dual sided for 10's and 11's.
20240306_210225.jpg

Using this method is fast and easy and can supply yourself with all that you can shoot. They also don't require anything to retain them as the wet mix with the glue forms a solid puck inside the cap. And if anyone isn't doing this yet, you're shorting yourself on a pretty easy task, and it's fun too!

Now when you say isopropyl alcohol are you using standard 70% rubbing alcohol or the red bottle which is I believe 90 something percent isopropyl?

When you get the component separately is there no hazmat shipping involved? Thanks

Now when you say isopropyl alcohol are you using standard 70% rubbing alcohol or the red bottle which is I believe 90 something percent isopropyl?

When you get the component separately is there no hazmat shipping involved? Thanks
90% isopropyl is what I use. Most places will make you order fuels and oxidizers in two separate orders if you don't have an explosives license but there's no hazmat fee getting them separate.

When you mix up a batch as described,how many caps can you load with it? Have you fired any with a loaded gun?
This much material is enough for about 300 caps. I've used these on 3 of my cap and balls, all which have fired 100% and had zero cap jams.

Looks like you are on to something. For myself I could not work that fast to do that many before it all dried out. Alcohol dries fast and so will the duco cement.. What's the cost of the resin to make the cups?
Yeah, you have to keep adding small amounts of alcohol to keep it damp until you get as many made as you want.

Looks like you are on to something. For myself I could not work that fast to do that many before it all dried out. Alcohol dries fast and so will the duco cement.. What's the cost of the resin to make the cups?
Oh, and the roll of filament is about $15. I haven't figured it up yet but I imagine that a roll could make tens of thousands.

I would assume one could cut the recipe in half?

I would be nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs working with this stuff myself. Lol

I'd want to have a full face shield and some thin leather gloves at least and possibly even a lexan shield that I could work my arms around the other side of that would block my torso and face and throat entirely.

Maybe that's overly cautious but I know this sort of thing doesn't forgive mistakes too well

I would assume one could cut the recipe in half?

I would be nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs working with this stuff myself. Lol

I'd want to have a full face shield and some thin leather gloves at least and possibly even a lexan shield that I could work my arms around the other side of that would block my torso and face and throat entirely.

Maybe that's overly cautious but I know this sort of thing doesn't forgive mistakes too well
You can definitely downsize the mix. I did testing with some when I first got into this, and couldn't get any of the mixture to detonate when wetted. It would actually just sizzle with a flame to it until it boiled off. I also don't use the powdered glass in it so it's a little less sensitive in that way as well.

You can definitely downsize the mix. I did testing with some when I first got into this, and couldn't get any of the mixture to detonate when wetted. It would actually just sizzle with a flame to it until it boiled off. I also don't use the powdered glass in it so it's a little less sensitive in that way as well.
I don't know if you have read my previous post about my interest with using the David sling. I can throw a 2 to 4 oz projectile at 100 mph with a fair degree of accuracy.

I have made energetic bullets in the past that go bang when they hit a hard target. Things like this are very interesting but unless I have no other choice.... I will look for caps.

I used to prime the bottom of a centerfire rifle cartridge with about 12 caps cut out from Red paper roll cap gun strip. I would mix it with fine birdshot which would act as the hammers and anvil for the primer. I would then fill the remainder of the cartridge till about 80% with either muzzle loading or smokeless powder. Then I would crimp the top of the cartridge shut ever so carefully.....

Next I would duct tape it to a 2 oz lead wheel weight. Then proceed to sling at a block wall or something similar. There was a noticeable delay between impact and detonation.

I wonder if the g-force from slinging something from 0 miles per hour to 100 mph in a split second, would cause something like h 48 to go off?

It has been many years since I have done such things but it was very fun !

I don't know if you have read my previous post about my interest with using the David sling. I can throw a 2 to 4 oz projectile at 100 mph with a fair degree of accuracy.

I have made energetic bullets in the past that go bang when they hit a hard target. Things like this are very interesting but unless I have no other choice.... I will look for caps.

I used to prime the bottom of a centerfire rifle cartridge with about 12 caps cut out from Red paper roll cap gun strip. I would mix it with fine birdshot which would act as the hammers and anvil for the primer. I would then fill the remainder of the cartridge till about 80% with either muzzle loading or smokeless powder. Then I would crimp the top of the cartridge shut ever so carefully.....

Next I would duct tape it to a 2 oz lead wheel weight. Then proceed to sling at a block wall or something similar. There was a noticeable delay between impact and detonation.

I wonder if the g-force from slinging something from 0 miles per hour to 100 mph in a split second, would cause something like h 48 to go off?

It has been many years since I have done such things but it was very fun !
Honestly I'm not sure but if I had to take a guess, I'd say no. And that's only because this stuff seems to only detonate and go "bang" when crushed by the blow of a hammer, whether it be the type from a gun or home depot. When I try to burn it, it just goes up in a flash like flash powder and doesn't pop. It seems to be the crushing that gets the detonation.

Honestly I'm not sure but if I had to take a guess, I'd say no. And that's only because this stuff seems to only detonate and go "bang" when crushed by the blow of a hammer, whether it be the type from a gun or home depot. When I try to burn it, it just goes up in a flash like flash powder and doesn't pop. It seems to be the crushing that gets the detonation.
That seems to be what I understand as well. But One does not simply mess around lightly with such things hoping for the best. I would hate for a good amount to go boom in the pocket of the sling as I am still rotating it.

Like I said it has been many years since I have made such specialized sling ammo.

The world we live in today, people don't have a sense of humor for such experimentation any longer.

I know that some things are so energetic and sensitive that I would be very hesitant to ever try such with them.

That seems to be what I understand as well. But One does not simply mess around lightly with such things hoping for the best. I would hate for a good amount to go boom in the pocket of the sling as I am still rotating it.

Like I said it has been many years since I have made such specialized sling ammo.

The world we live in today, people don't have a sense of humor for such experimentation any longer.

I know that some things are so energetic and sensitive that I would be very hesitant to ever try such with them.
Oh I understand your hesitation. I still get the Willie's when I'm mixing up my compound but it doesnt bother me so much once I get past making the slurry in my bowl. Honestly I've come to enjoy making caps as part of the hobby and it's quite gratifying to be able to put them on my guns and shoot just fine. Then there's the part of knowing that I'm not reliant on stores being in stock, plus I can make ALOT of caps in a short period of time. I think I made 50+ last night in about 20 minutes after my compound was mixed up.

Oh I understand your hesitation. I still get the Willie's when I'm mixing up my compound but it doesnt bother me so much once I get past making the slurry in my bowl. Honestly I've come to enjoy making caps as part of the hobby and it's quite gratifying to be able to put them on my guns and shoot just fine. Then there's the part of knowing that I'm not reliant on stores being in stock, plus I can make ALOT of caps in a short period of time. I think I made 50+ last night in about 20 minutes after my compound was mixed up.
The ultimate Trifecta of self-reliance is the ability to make your own black powder and priming compound and percussion caps and lead casting

Come whatever May, you can send lead down range at over 500 miles per hour and then some.

I am also a fan of traditional archery and the David sling and of course various airguns as I know that you also have an interest in.

But we won't get into all of that here. We burn holy black that we ignite with percussion caps or banging a rock against steel around here! 😜

The ultimate Trifecta of self-reliance is the ability to make your own black powder and priming compound and percussion caps and lead casting

Come whatever May, you can send lead down range at over 500 miles per hour and then some.

I am also a fan of traditional archery and the David sling and of course various airguns as I know that you also have an interest in.

But we won't get into all of that here. We burn holy black that we ignite with percussion caps or banging a rock against steel around here! 😜
I really wish I could post some about my airguns because it's something that I take alot of pride in. 2 of them are more powerful than any of their mass produced counterparts. My 50 caliber is capable of pushing 325 grain copper jacketed bullets at 1587fps!

Latest posts

Back