• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HOW MANY? AND PIC OF FIRST?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-g willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After seeing pictures of rifles built by members on this board that look like pieces of art, I was just wondering how many guns you guys have built.
And would like to see a picture of your first build.

m-g, The first gun i made was a pistol. I was given a barrel, a lock that needed a little work, and a piece of wood, with the admonition, "just make the G-- D--- thing right!". The man had way more confidence in my ability to do that than I did. I bought the t-guard, and made the rest of the parts myself. To my grave, I will be grateful to the man that saw something in me that I did not know I had. I don't think I make great guns, that is for someone else to decide, but I have a great time making them!
Look familiar Roy?
DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0061.jpg

Robby

WOW!
Nice guns guys.
I was expecting the first gun would look more like a 2x4 with a pipe wired to it!

I was expecting the first gun would look more like a 2x4 with a pipe wired to it!

No, that would be MY first gun. The second came out real nice. But the first, well I won't get into all the reasons, but at least I got the bark off the log......

I didn't take pictures of the CVA's I built and I sold the first longrifle I made before I took pictures of it.

The second longrifle I made looks like this
Kent1.jpg

I'll be starting #290 today. Can't photograph my first as I blew it to bits long ago....no great loss. :wink:

This Jim Chambers' York is my first. I have close up pics on this forum of this rifle if you want to search for them.

P1010008.jpg

I have one other started.

Currently working on number 5. I don't have any photos of 1,2 but heres no. 3 and no. 4.

No. 3

DCP03596.jpg

No. 4

IMG_0034.jpg

I don't have a pic of the first, I have done a lot of in the white and production guns just three "real" guns so to speak, I have a pic of the last,and I do get some help from a friend from time to time.

French Fusil de Chase circa 1730 from the Tulle armory.
fusee.jpg

simonthecat said:
Wow, that's a nice looking gun. Is the side plate inlet in the stock so that it is flush?

Yes it is. The edges are flush all the way around but the sculpting itself on the plate sets a little above flush.

This is number 25..I think :confused:
My first one..was to quote a few members "pretty rough"
While I have no real talent. Just too stubborn to quit.
Keep the pics coming, Love to see them :bow:
walnut54007.jpg

walnut54004.jpg

I built a GPR many years ago and just got back into this a year or so ago. No pics of the GPR.

Here is my first percussion since diving back in. It's a Don Stith parts set:

StithHawken003.jpg

Here's my fist flinter. It's a TOTW Beck parts kit:

DSCF0208.jpg

I have built eight of them over the years. Dunno how many kits I have built, mostly for other people.

The first one I built was a flinter back in the early eighties. It is the top one in the picture.

Flinters1.jpg

I think I got the stock from Golden Age Arms. It has a .36 13/16" x 42" Sharon barrel. It has Davis triggers and a Cochran lock. The lock is the third one that I put in and the triggers are the second set. I made every kind of mistake with this rifle from using a cheap lock at first to not getting the lines right and needed to redo the stock a few years later. It was my only flinter for a few years an got quite a workout in that time. It still shoots well enough to take a squirrel gun competition now and again.

My first, scratch build, probably too ambitious for my first gun but it came out OK though not as good as I would have liked. Dunlap wood, Rice barrel, Deluxe Chambers lock, shoots almost through the same hole at 50yds, killed several deer with it this year.

baghornsandrifle.jpg

I have built two. The first was a Lyman GP. Had alot of fun, spilt some blood (most of it mine), and proved her worthy... :grin:

IMGP0537.jpg

IMGP0557.jpg

BuffaloHunt2009083.jpg

Latest posts

Back