• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock recommendations.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've built several kit guns but this will be my first at building one from scratch.
I have a semi- inletted cherry stock and a bunch of parts so I'm going to give it a go.
The one question I have is the lock, at this time I have a new L&R Durs Egg lock
and I'm not sure which style rifle would be best for it.

LP0305.jpg

I would recommend building the style of gun you want; and choosing a suitable lock based on that. Building around a lock is like the tail wagging the dog.

What style is your semi-inletted (from scratch?) stock? And the other parts you've assembled? If the type of gun dictates a late English lock, I would suggest Chamber's Late Ketland. It's a better lock than the L&R.

I've used the Durs Egg before, and am using one on my current project; but that's because I'm building a left handed rifle... so my choices are quite limited. The L&R can be made to function quite well... but it requires work on every part in order to do so. They need a fair amount of work.

Here is the Durs Egg for my current project; a left handed Southern Mountain Rifle. I also give it a bit of cosmetic work as well. Some is needed, some is just me.

Attachments

• 20240126_165601.jpg
    20240126_165601.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240126_165829.jpg
    20240126_165829.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
I would recommend building the style of gun you want; and choosing a suitable lock based on that. Building around a lock is like the tail wagging the dog.

What style is your semi-inletted (from scratch?) stock? And the other parts you've assembled? If the type of gun dictates a late English lock, I would suggest Chamber's Late Ketland. It's a better lock than the L&R.

I've used the Durs Egg before, and am using one on my current project; but that's because I'm building a left handed rifle... so my choices are quite limited. The L&R can be made to function quite well... but it requires work on every part in order to do so. They need a fair amount of work.
Tail-wagging the dog, is,cute but I'd rather use what I have than invest in more parts that I'm trying to use up. The stock has the barrel channel and ramrod pre-cut
The barrel I have is a 13/16 .45, 42 inch. all I'd need to complete a rifle is a set of triggers.

Latest posts

Back