• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you prime?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a very basic question. When shooting a flintlock rifle, at the range or on a hunt, how do you prefer to prime?
From your main horn or flask (yes, I know that is dangerous)?
From a small priming flask?
From a priming do-hicky that discharges 4 grains (is that enough or do you have to pump it 4 times)?
From a flask into a priming measure and into the pan?

My trade gun gets the same 3F I use down the muzzle in the pan from the same horn. I'm not a fan of the "do-hickys" that are spring loaded and deliver 3-4 grains, they always seem to clog up in damp weather at matches. I have a horn that delivers a nice bead of 4f into the pan everytime. That's what I like using.

Here's what I use . One push down in pan and drag it in a line. It's 3 grains of 4F from what I'm told. It's convenient and it works .
3404736.json

My trade gun gets the same 3F I use down the muzzle in the pan from the same horn. I'm not a fan of the "do-hickys" that are spring loaded and deliver 3-4 grains, they always seem to clog up in damp weather at matches. I have a horn that delivers a nice bead of 4f into the pan everytime. That's what I like using.
I bought two different priming "do-hickeys" about a year ago, they are super convenient for about 5-6 shots, then they clog up and you need to use your vent pick to dig the moist powder out of them, probably work great in low humidity areas. Probably need to sell them.

Shooting at the range I leave my main horn at the loading bench and our club requires priming at the firing line so I use a small priming horn, I have one in every shooting pouch and usually just stick them in a pocket while competing.

On a woods walk I prime from either the main or priming horn, not sure why anyone would think that is dangerous.

I have a few of those brass primer doohickeys but they get stuck due to the humidity so I don't use them much any more. After reading the recent article in Muzzleblasts about those accidentally exploding I think I'll take the suggestion and use a little plastic bottle with a flip open spout. I just need to find one.
Priming while using paper cartridges is the best. Bite the end off, put some in the pan and pour the rest down the barrel. Works great when shooting the smoothbore anyhow.

Depends on what I'm doing.
Sighting in at the range, off the bench,,, I use the little plunger thingy with 4f (the problem with these is that they seem to only work well with 4f) and only 1 pump sometimes 2 as occasionally it doesn't seem to drop as much.
Otherwise, whether it's practice at the range or hunting, I prime with the same 3f that is in my main horn. How depends on which horn. My smaller horns with finer tips I'll use my index finger as a control valve and prime straight from the horn (this isn't the same as pouring powder into the bore from the horn which is actually dangerous).
With larger horns I will often use a little primer I made of deer antler.
Again, not a lot of priming powder, I want a flash, not a campfire.

I prime from my horn so can be two or three, I don’t believe there could be any possibility of a cook off, I thumb wipe the fry an and pan before I set to reload
One I blow down the barrel.
Two is a usually, I swab the barrel with a lightly damp patch, may skip this in a woods walk
Three there is a last whoosh of air out the touchhole
Four I don’t speed load as a regular thing, I have done it but it’s exceptionally rare
There is just no where for an ember to hide

After reading the recent article in Muzzleblasts about those accidentally exploding I think I'll take the suggestion and use a little plastic bottle with a flip open spout.
Which issue was that in? I don’t always look at the mash as I get the electronic version. Hard on my phone. No excuse, but I’d sure like to read that article.

Back