• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really Larry, pretty self-explaining if you look at the gun. Perhaps you have period documentation on exactly the correct way to cock a BP gun. please share. Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes, to you and I, but not to the OP or he would not have asked. I could care less what peroid correct is, I just try to be safe.
Thanks for the reply.
Larry

Dragging the rifle by the muzzle and letting the cock get hung up on a sapling works well too.

Just remember the Cheney Rule.

Always have the muzzle pointed toward a friend.

Hunting many years ago during primitive firearms season (percussion rifles) one of the guys I was hunting with had his right handed percussion rifle in his left hand and was swinging it has he walked; fortunately he was in front. As the rifle swung forward the hammer caught on his hip pocket pulling it far enough back so that when it dropped it had enough energy to discharge the rifle.

Last time I hunted with him.

6A562017-A5B7-488D-881A-B1B23B446097.jpeg

Meaty pocket behind the ball of the pinky

I can picture you drinking a cup of tea with the pinky in the air as well.
Tea! Tea!, my ancestors would spin in their graves if they saw me drinking Tea! they threw it into the bay!
actually in the spirit of how this thread has devolved, i am one of those barbarians that blow down the bore after firing.
I have enough hot air that it cocks the cock via wind power. only works on cap guns though

This isn't too far-fetched. The archery guys have discussions on the best way to nock an arrow. Either grab it by the nock and put it directly onto the string with your finger and thumb or grab it in front of the fletching and place the nock on the string as it wavers about.

How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock? Do you simply use your thumb like any other gun with a hammer or do you grab a hold of the cock with your hand to pull it back? I see people do both. Is there a right or wrong way or just a matter of personal preference? Thanks

Yes there is a right and wrong way, the right way which I use is to pulled back slowly with your left big toe. while holding the rifle in the crooked of your right arm. You will never wear out the spring by doing it this way

Back