• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Primer Charge when Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think one of the best conclusions that I've gathered over all the years of reading through the BlackPowder mag experiments.. is that we spend way too much time thinking about the whole subject of pan-prime, powder, and lock-time.

I think if we all spent as much time focusing on "follow-through", after the trigger is pulled, we would all be better marksman.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one reason I like the L&R locks I use. The pan cover has a protruding part that seats down into the pan recess. L&R says its for weather "proofing", but I can't see that being very effective.
What it is very effective at, is keeping a half full pan level all across the pan while the frizzen is closed. So the rifle can be manipulated any way you want and the prime charge has no space to move.
Couple that with a 1/16" flashole located in the correct place, and its dare I say 100% reliable ignition.

My only advice for hunting beyond using that type of system, is carry a small brush and change out your prime charge often, especially if it's raining, snowing or just simply humid. I use a small acid brush, the type you buy at the hardware with the solder flux. A couple strokes and the old prime is out and the pan is clean.

Last edited:
Since I was a kid shooting all sorts of firearms follow through follow through and even more crucial with flint muzzle loading DO NOT PULL OFF YOUR TARGET OR GAME. Don‘t let the flash throw you out of time with your shot.

Back