• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFFFg powder priming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing some inventory of supplies. Here is my dumb question of the day. How many average pan primes can nearly 4# of FFFFg powder do? It's actually 3# 14.6 ounces net weight. My pan primer is a very small bag flask (a Philadelphia model) and I just dump what looks to be appropriate for my various flintlocks (45 to musket size). I'm ordering powder and not sure on ffffg needs. I will say not knowing this is 100% my fault as like I said I just disperse what 'looks good' and have no real clue as to how much in a technical sense.
Well, when you know that you use on average 3 grains of 4Fg at each shot: put that in your calculator, and then you'll have the number of possible shots. The only thing left to do is to know how many daily shots you will make. From this extremely scientific calculation (I am a great scientist), you will know if, according to your life expectancy, you will have to buy 4Fg or not…

With all my regards and my apologies for this low-cost joke.

Erwan.

Note: I think that you'll shoot an enough long time with all that... ;)

I’ve always primed from the horn. I do have a two ounce flask I use as a kicker if I’m shooting my pyrodex but it’s loaded with 3f.
Some folk shoot a lot, I don’t think I make two hundred shots in a year as my range time generally sees less than twenty five.
So…. If I used 4 as a primer I bet one pound would see me through the rest of my life.
Even Swiss it just ain’t going to figure in to your price per round.
Tell me your old with out saying your old, I remember when caps were a penny a piece lead was .30 a pound and powder was 3.50, each shot was less then a nickel 😊

tenngun, you're just a younker. When I started shooting black powder in the 60's, I bought Dupont's at the hardware store for $1 a can. Some time ago I saw that my second can of 4F was down around half so when the chance came I got another'n. Still haven't opened it. Got one rocklock rifle, two pistols, and a Trade Gun too .... but I'm 81, so maybe I never will crack that next can. Shucks. It's there if I need it.

I just stopped by to see how many pages were on the current question. When I first started with flintlocks, I bought a pound of FFFFg. I forget how long it took before using all of that powder. Then I started with FFFg for priming the pan. Never bought FFFFg again.

I've always preferred 4F for prime and it goes a looong way. If I find myself out of 4F I just prime with what's in the bore and don't worry.

7,000 grains to a pound times four pounds is 28,000 grains of FFFF.

Lets say priming takes 5 grains.

28,000 divided by 5 equals 5,600 pan fulls of FFFF.

P.S. Let's not quibble over weight vs volume.
Following your lead, if average charge is 60 grains, that's enough to prime 48 pounds of powder.

Having earned my living in a profession where data is sacred, I once weighed the actual amount of FFFFg dispensed by my brass push primer. Over a course of 50 trials, the average amount dispensed was 2.97 grains by weight.

I ran out of 4F years ago , I just use my 3F Pistol powder the gun doesn’t know the difference. He He..

Bought 5 cans in 2005
I am using one, and have 3 left.

Still lots left in this can - does that date code indicate '81 or '12? Can't remember when or where I bought it. How long will it stay good? Anecdotally heard if kept dry, CENTURIES.

ffffg.jpg

The common theme that I see forming here is that you all should get outside and shoot more!...
Only shooting our 1 monthly forum postal match you will shoot up a lb of 4ffffg in less than 3 years.

When folks brag..."Been shooting flintlock since 19"blahblah....Just having a rifle hanging on the wall all these years doesn't make you a flintlock shooter.

Get outside and burn some powder with us!

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/april-2023-postal-match.161873/#post-2323424

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Swiss OB Special for priming, which I suspect may be even finer than 4F!

It does come in 1/2lb containers, and a little goes a long way. I keep it in a little plastic puffer bottle that I think was orgininally supposed to be for icing cakes.. anyway it is brilliant for "encouraging" misfired guns. It can be puffed through touch holes and nipples to either fire an existing but "coy" charge or by booting out a bare ball..

...would not run an ML range without it!

I'm doing some inventory of supplies. Here is my dumb question of the day. How many average pan primes can nearly 4# of FFFFg powder do? It's actually 3# 14.6 ounces net weight. My pan primer is a very small bag flask (a Philadelphia model) and I just dump what looks to be appropriate for my various flintlocks (45 to musket size). I'm ordering powder and not sure on ffffg needs. I will say not knowing this is 100% my fault as like I said I just disperse what 'looks good' and have no real clue as to how much in a technical sense.
I'd trade off 3 of them for some 2 or 3 F personally. Actually with Goex powder you can sieve off the fines out of each can of 1 2 and 3F and pretty much keep yourself perpetually in fine pan powder.

Back