• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add to this . . . I click the set trigger, then cock the hammer.

History books say Kit Carson was so small he had to use his whole hand for that strong spring on the long-tom flintlock and that is why he went to a short barreled percussion Hawken. :)

Surprised nobody mentioned how to pull back the cock while riding the sear...As you know, if a deer is near, they can hear the click of the trigger when the cock is pulled to full cock...To avoid this, pull the cock with your thumb, have your index finger lightly holding the trigger back, once at full cock, release the trigger and let the cock down...With a little practice, it becomes second nature...A similar procedure works with set triggers.

I've seen a lot of different folks do it a lot of different ways. Most common I've seen is the thumb over the jaw screw or index finger around it...but I've also seen it done with pinky or ring finger, just not with a lock with a strong spring.

While more quiet, I personally try to avoid riding the sear...yes it is louder, but it is safer should your fingers be slick for any reason.

With my thumb if standing ....finger if prone .....
How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock? Do you simply use your thumb like any other gun with a hammer or do you grab a hold of the cock with your hand to pull it back? I see people do both. Is there a right or wrong way or just a matter of personal preference? Thanks

Latest posts

Back