• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never think about it until I try to cock my Perdersoli Queen Anne pistol. It is so hard it hurts my thumb! Thinking about selling or trading it just because of this!

How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock? Do you simply use your thumb like any other gun with a hammer or do you grab a hold of the cock with your hand to pull it back? I see people do both. Is there a right or wrong way or just a matter of personal preference? Thanks
Very personal question. You don't need to know!

How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock? Do you simply use your thumb like any other gun with a hammer or do you grab a hold of the cock with your hand to pull it back? I see people do both. Is there a right or wrong way or just a matter of personal preference? Thanks
Never thought of it much, but I have documented evidence. Seems I hook the Bird finger on the screw an' haul her back.

Attachments

• 20230627_114023.mp4
    25.1 MB
This isn't too far-fetched. The archery guys have discussions on the best way to nock an arrow. Either grab it by the nock and put it directly onto the string with your finger and thumb or grab it in front of the fletching and place the nock on the string as it wavers about.

Yeah but archery guys are weird

No right or wrong way.
I use my thumb and forefinger on the jaw screw usually.
Sometimes I cup my hand and pull the cock back with my small and ring fingers.
On my Cookson doglock Fowler I reverse my hand and pull the cock back with the web of my hand. That way it's easier to get to the dog

Hunting many years ago during primitive firearms season (percussion rifles) one of the guys I was hunting with had his right handed percussion rifle in his left hand and was swinging it has he walked; fortunately he was in front. As the rifle swung forward the hammer caught on his hip pocket pulling it far enough back so that when it dropped it had enough energy to discharge the rifle.

Last time I hunted with him.
i would have pooped in my pants while running

Back