• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When do you prime?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I still hunt from a ground blind in my field, I keep a round toothpick in the hole with the hammer down and prime when I see game. If I don't shoot, I put the rifle back in my shed.

When small game hunting, which is the only hunting I do nowadays, I prime when entering the woods or field. Little critters don’t always give you a chance to prime. Primed, frizzen closed, half cock.

Same as others, at truck just before I start stalking or heading to stand. For those who claim this is unsafe, I argue, the best safety is the guy holding a gun of any kind.
Agreed. To venture forth with an empty pan is a bit like going to town like Barney Fife with no bullets in your pistol. 🙂

Primed the whole time hunting, half cock is good, also using a leather cover on the frizzen like the thumb cut off a glove is like a belt and suspenders. Every few hours I will dump the prime and re-prime. More often if it's really humid. Rifle is loaded at the house, toothpick in the touchhole and frizzen closed on it, electrical tape over the muzzle, in the case and off we go. At the end of the hunt I replace the toothpick after cleaning the pan and picking the touchhole, and repeat. Rifle might stay loaded for a few weeks, never an issue not even in 90%+ humidity for weeks.

I have no choice but to prime at the truck because walking in to my stand down the cornfield cuts there are woods bordering the fields and they pop out some time here and there because it’s a bedding and a feeding area.

Back