• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Do I Get Rid of Old Percussion Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe I've read all six pages and am replying. But a friend gave me this batch of old caps that belonged to his grandfather and they still make my original guns go boom.
I've had more misfires with new caps. Someone down the line may have the same question and will read all this.šŸ˜
caps 001.jpg

I think these are the oldest ones.
caps 003.jpg

It's past my bedtime nigty-nite all.

People offering to take them off your hands at no charge are scammers and are likely to get you sued. I will take them all and safely dispose of them for $50.
There is a $1 a piece surcharge for any duds because it wastes my disarming crew's time. No humans, kittens, dogs or horses [unless wild in WY or MT] will be harmed when rendering caps safe. Game animals that wander onto the safety range are not covered by this disclaimer. No re-enactment caps accepted. 10% discount for dangerously old caps in factory sealed containers.

Send to: Venison Disposal Co. 50 Gauze Bag Gulch Pinkham Creek, MT 59901
$50 gold piece preferred. Greenbacks accepted. Certified Munitions Expropriators Lic. #BS4UML7
Member Good Standing-Muzzleloading Prevaricators of America [MPA]
SW President & CEO

Yep.

Yep.

If someone really, really wants to get rid of old caps, he could just take them to the local range and put them on a table with a "FREE CAPS" sign. They would go pretty fast.

I just can't see throwing them away.

Really, really old caps, like the very earliest ones and the cheaper ones from later in the 19th century, were not waterproof and could be ruined by wetting. If you had some that old that had gotten wet, they might not be good. However, at some point, ammunition makers learned to waterproof percussion caps and the tins would have "Waterproof" or even "Double Waterproofed" someplace on the label. Those ought to still be shootable. They might be corrosive, but we clean our guns after shooting anyway.

I've been shooting some 55-year-old Alcan caps that were as good as new, and likely better than some of what's being produced now. @Rudyard and some of the other international forum members reported shooting some very old caps with good results. If the caps which are the subject of this thread were made any time in the last century, chances are they will still detonate.

If I were determined to get rid of them, I would find a new home for them. They are too valuable to waste, especially in this time of recurrent shortages.

Just one old duffer's opinion, respectfully submitted.

Notchy Bob
If all you were doing is shooting paper what would happen if it didn't go bang, replace with a nother one. I would try shooting serval before loading .if most worked then use them if they all missed fired then throw the rest away. Every thing you are touching has some hazardous chemical to it. lead leading the way.

If they are that old they would most likely be corrosive. Soak in water for a day or two then throw into the trash.

I doubt they are corrosive. Corrosive centerfire ammo hasn't been made in the US since the 1950s. I started shooting muzzleloaders in 1969 and all of the US made percussion caps were non-corrosive back then.

I have a bunch of caps that are really, really old and I want to get rid of them. What's the best way to do this: dig a deep hole, throw them in and cover them up?; soak them in water for a few days then throw them in the trash; or ?????

Any help appreciated,

joliver
I'd soak em in diesel for a week, test a dozen or so on my anvil and pitch them in the dumpster. They'll be dead as a door nail me thinks !

Back