• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Do I Get Rid of Old Percussion Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just clear my revolver nipples with a nipple pick then visual inspection before putting in the powder. I usually load ball on the powder valley loader.
If I had old caps I would just try shooting them to get rid of them.

Iv'e used caps that where Victorian & where in India they didn't fail me if I only opened one tin .
Rudyard
As a contemporary of RUDYARDS Iv'e used many Victorian caps as when we started lots of older gunmakers and gun shops had vintage stock as they didn't live in todays throw away culture. I still use F4 21's and F3 16's(same size as Musket,without the skirt) made by Joyce & Co. Can't remember any misfires with those in 60 odd years. Plenty with modern No.11's apart from FIOCCHI brass ones. Easy ways to be rid of bad ones is soak 'em in old engine oil.. or Diesel..
no like Chlorate primer corrosive
unk
LOTS of early caps used Fulminate of Mercury as the as the detinator. It's the mercury wats corosive and highly Toxic. Can't even get Mercury batteries these days .O.D.

An ol fella told me some years ago that they use to chew them a little and if a couple popped off they knew the Caps werent too old to use; he had to repeat that a few times though as I couldnt understand him on account that he didnt have many teeth.......

You do realize that now, someone here, after reading the above will accept that it is a way to test caps will go and do it don't you?

You do realize that now, someone here, after reading the above will accept that it is a way to test caps will go and do it don't you?

Sadly I wonder if your right, in the last few years I served the small square cardboard boxes containing 2 Hexamine tablets (cooking fuel) we carried, had a warning "Do Not Eat".

I got some old caps musket caps on one times.,they had a cardboard disc in them. Don’t remember the brand . They where in a plastic container. A lot of the filament was in the container. Some of the cardboard also. I used them for snapimg caps before I loading

I've used the "dig a hole" thing for stuff; actually in today's world, you could probably put them in with some (no ID) trash and drop in a dumpster behind a bar! (The dive bar I frequent has everything in it but a body, and that wouldn't almost surprise me! Think of the spray cans, solvent cans, manure that gets hauled off in those things! Caps would be the least of their worries at the dump!

Why wouldn't you use them?

They're probably better than what you can buy now.

SMH

Yep.

I would bet that they still work...and with the election year coming next year..., they might get hard to find again. I'd recommend just keeping them.

Yep.

If someone really, really wants to get rid of old caps, he could just take them to the local range and put them on a table with a "FREE CAPS" sign. They would go pretty fast.

I just can't see throwing them away.

Really, really old caps, like the very earliest ones and the cheaper ones from later in the 19th century, were not waterproof and could be ruined by wetting. If you had some that old that had gotten wet, they might not be good. However, at some point, ammunition makers learned to waterproof percussion caps and the tins would have "Waterproof" or even "Double Waterproofed" someplace on the label. Those ought to still be shootable. They might be corrosive, but we clean our guns after shooting anyway.

I've been shooting some 55-year-old Alcan caps that were as good as new, and likely better than some of what's being produced now. @Rudyard and some of the other international forum members reported shooting some very old caps with good results. If the caps which are the subject of this thread were made any time in the last century, chances are they will still detonate.

If I were determined to get rid of them, I would find a new home for them. They are too valuable to waste, especially in this time of recurrent shortages.

Just one old duffer's opinion, respectfully submitted.

Notchy Bob

Back