• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do I get the smell out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a roll of jute strapping to repair my haversack. I forgot that jute smells like oil
So I’m trying to get rid of the odor I’ve had it sitting outside for a few days but the odor is still there. Would it be possible to throw it in the washing machine?
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks
Kevin

You could try the washing machine on "gentle" and mayhe fold a small piece of ducttape over the ends.
I would start by handwashing with scent free soap and baking soda though. Beware that machine washing may leave fibers in the machine, wipe them out with a damp cloth before the wife uses the machine again.
I'd also try just placing the material in a zip lock bag woth baking soda for a while.
Good luck, I had some hemp webbing that took a long time to get the odor out of.

Last resort , there's always acetone , put only the strap in the coffee can , then hand wash with dish soap and water. Acetone itself leaves no oder once dried. Don't use acetone indoors. Good way to pi$$ off the boss.

Last resort , there's always acetone , put only the strap in the coffee can , then hand wash with dish soap and water. Acetone itself leaves no oder once dried. Don't use acetone indoors. Good way to pi$$ off the boss.
If that's the goal it's much faster to simply melt your casting lead in the garage when it's calm outside and 10 degrees below zero. Them fumes go EVERYWHERE and she will remember for 35 years (and counting).

I would try to put the jute in an old pair of panty hose or similar before sticking in the washer so the threads don't go everywhere. She will also remeber that for quite a while if you don't clean out as per above. And come now, you really think, you a man, would clean it good enough? Better safe than sorry.

Anyone try the new product "Poof" if "as advertised" it would kill it instantly.

I got a roll of jute strapping to repair my haversack.
Whens the next time you'll need your haversack?
If it's not anytime soon. then just let that Jute outside in the weather for a month. Just put it out there, loose, and forget it.
Day, night, sun, cloudy, rain, dry, hot, cold,, just let it out there. It's Jute,,

Will it did. First and last time I did it. But I have been buying some pure soft lead here and got a box from a guy that redid a x-ray job and will try again .... Outside. And I have no idea how hot it got I used a Coleman stove and old pot and skinned off a bunch of stuff from wheel weights I think but it stank and went all the house. Not sure if it was lead but we elected to leave and not breath it.

That's what I was thinking Azmtnman - POOF.. Maybe it could be of help.

I had the same issue with a haversack I goy at Dixon's in 2019. C. Tanner made it. Great bag but the leather strap stunk.
Ya, tried hanging it outside too. Ended up putting Legal on the strap twice. Problem solved.

When it comes to removing objectional smells the best thing I found was fresh coffee grounds. I drove a truck for many years, and when we had a trailer with a bad smell we would buy 1 pound of coffee, and spread it in the trailer. The trailer's inside dimensions were 40 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 9 ft. high. Thats a lot of area for 1 lb. of coffee to deodorize, but it always worked.

Good for you. What ever the smell i got in much trouble and we elected not to breath it in. Ok? Pm me your # so if I have any further issues I can get it right ok?

It never really happened at all I made it all up and the info on the Internet about breathing in lead fumes is also wrong. K? Better now?

It never really happened at all I made it all up and the info on the Internet about breathing in lead fumes is also wrong. K? Better now?
No, the forum is still like Jr high-school,, :dunno:
Tweens and 14yr olds?
This is actually the forums culture today isn't it. Could I have two cheeseburgers and a small fry to go?
Whaa? Did you use the App to order?
:dunno:

Last edited:
Good for you. What ever the smell i got in much trouble and we elected not to breath it in. Ok? Pm me your # so if I have any further issues I can get it right ok?

I never said breathing in lead fumes wasn't bad. Your reading compression leaves a bit to be desired.

If lead melted at normal temperatures was an issue, the electronics industry would have millions of employees with lead poisoning.

Whens the next time you'll need your haversack?
If it's not anytime soon. then just let that Jute outside in the weather for a month. Just put it out there, loose, and forget it.
Day, night, sun, cloudy, rain, dry, hot, cold,, just let it out there. It's Jute,,
Next time thats exactly what I plan to do

I have 50' of Sisal ($5.99) strung thru the last row of my clothes-line pole since June, I'll gather it to use as tinder/nest next June.
It's been interesting to watch. I hung it relaxed, but those first few months when it rain it tightened up. I even had to go out and give it more slack.
The seasons, (more time) will remove the natural oils and any man made added preservatives in that rope.
Should be good by spring.

Back