• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Do I Get Rid of Old Percussion Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joliver

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a bunch of caps that are really, really old and I want to get rid of them. What's the best way to do this: dig a deep hole, throw them in and cover them up?; soak them in water for a few days then throw them in the trash; or ?????

Any help appreciated,

joliver

Really old tins have a bit of value. Old caps tend to be more "disappointing than devastating". Most are corrosive, many are duds. I throw mine in the burn barrel, listen to them pop. Used to plink with them - cured my flinch but duds clogged up nipples.

Suggest pouring loose into a pill bottle, fill with motor oil, seal, throw in trash.

Suggest pouring loose into a pill bottle, fill with motor oil, seal, throw in trash.
If you really want to get rid of yours just throw in trash.
Not knowing where you live but if you have a trash collection service, these ideas are not so good. They will end up in a land fill. If not killed by the oil, the caps could potentially start a fire in the trash truck when they get compacted by the truck.
Just try to dispose by firing them on an empty, unloaded barrel. My $0.02 opinion.

I have a bunch of caps that are really, really old and I want to get rid of them. What's the best way to do this: dig a deep hole, throw them in and cover them up?; soak them in water for a few days then throw them in the trash; or ?????

Any help appreciated,

joliver

You provided your own answers, now time to get rid of them.

Any help appreciated,

joliver
Really?????????? This is a joke Question right????

Back