• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this isn't something I personally have heard to many guys doing but it could be a regular practice for some. I have a Leigh .45 (rifled not smooth) that the sights are LOW on, I like it but the back sight sometimes just doesn't seem like I need it. Any you guys out there shoot front sight only with a RIFLED ML?

lbothell said:
So this isn't something I personally have heard to many guys doing but it could be a regular practice for some. I have a Leigh .45 (rifled not smooth) that the sights are LOW on, I like it but the back sight sometimes just doesn't seem like I need it. Any you guys out there shoot front sight only with a RIFLED ML?
Why not remove the rear site and give it a try? Report back what you find.

Ill definitely do that, I know a lot of guys with a smoothie do it, just wasn't sure if the rifled guys do. I'll pop it off and try it out this weekend

I've kinda done the same thing. I have a Green Mountain 62 caliber smoothbore drop-in barrel that came with a rear sight. It certainly helps me with ball, due to the poor fit of TC stocks to my frame and face. But it's totally in the way with shot. Since I mostly use the barrel with shot, the rear sight is rattling around in a drawer. Somewhere. Come to think of it I don't have a clue which drawer, telling you how I feel about it.

I can see your groups opening up. The trouble might be with the calibre. A 45 needs to be accurate to avoid marginal hits whereas say a 62, less so as it would still be quite lethal.

Only one way to find out but on game, I can see it causing issues.

Kapow said:
The trouble might be with the calibre. A 45 needs to be accurate to avoid marginal hits whereas say a 62, less so as it would still be quite lethal.
The opposite would be true if you were hunting squirrels....(Do they have squirrels down under?)

Removing the rear sight would make snap shooting easier...
It boils down to the difference between pointing and aiming.....Give it a try... and report back...

Track of the wolf offers barrels for smoothbore type guns,NEG,French trade and early English trade and colonial or English 1770s ish fowling pieces. These are sold sans rear sight though it could be fitted.

No squirrels. I was pretty much spellbound by them when I was in Canada! I honestly don't think I could shoot one. Too cute.

Hundreds of millions of rabbits though. You could shoot fifty a day in some places.

Squirrels, aka tree rats, love chewing on the wood posts and rails that make my front porch. Get one in the house and expect them to find electrical wires - then love to chew on them. Around town they cause power outages when they get in into chewing mode on power pole wires. Wife works for local city government and has told me power company credits squirrels as one of the top reasons for outages. They find their cute little electrocuted bodies at the scene of the crime. More squirrels than I can count around the house. Wife laughs that I load up nearly every Saturday and Sunday morning before breakfast as I head out to get the morning paper and pop one that is either attacking the bird feeder or the fron porch. Tried corn feeders to lure them away from the house, but they are just too numerous and greedy. Saves me money on targets though.

Too cute you say? Not in these parts my friend.

lbothell said:
So this isn't something I personally have heard to many guys doing but it could be a regular practice for some.

I have rifles that have no sights at all. They do what I want them to, works well for me.

I have others with sights if I want. I do shoot both but I am mostly an instinct shot.
Let us know what and how you do.

William Alexander

I agree with the instinctive shooting, I do it with my recurve and actually shoot better the less I think or aim ha. As for the squirrels I agree cute but man they can eat some wires! Wife and I lived in Charlotte NC for a couple years and I was shooting then out my kitchen door daily cause my neighbors and I were having problems with then getting in our homes. Wife and I had squirrels for dinner quite a bit! You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy ha

Try and see things from the squirrels point of view! You giant two legged freaks cut down our forests to build your homes but when we return the favour you eat us! :cursing:

But they are so delicious! I'm giving them a sporting chance, using a muzzleloader with round ball and no rear sight, if he runs into my ball he needed to end up in my pot :hatsoff:

SDSmlf said:
Squirrels, aka tree rats, love chewing on the wood posts and rails that make my front porch. Get one in the house and expect them to find electrical wires - then love to chew on them. Around town they cause power outages when they get in into chewing mode on power pole wires. Wife works for local city government and has told me power company credits squirrels as one of the top reasons for outages. They find their cute little electrocuted bodies at the scene of the crime. More squirrels than I can count around the house. Wife laughs that I load up nearly every Saturday and Sunday morning before breakfast as I head out to get the morning paper and pop one that is either attacking the bird feeder or the fron porch. Tried corn feeders to lure them away from the house, but they are just too numerous and greedy. Saves me money on targets though.

Too cute you say? Not in these parts my friend.

Amen, Bro. Mine die of lead poisoning also.

Wife works for local city government and has told me power company credits squirrels as one of the top reasons for outages. They find their cute little electrocuted bodies at the scene of the crime.

I like when the power goes out.....Make me feel like I'm in the 18th century... :wink:

lbothell said:

I think you will find you need the rear sight. I'm sure with practice you can shoot the rifle reasonably well. With that said you limit the capabilities of the rifle. Especially for squirrels.

Hunting squirrels means different shooting positions. That means different holds. A different hold shot to shot means a loss of accuracy for a front sighted gun.

I think Tinker and Brown Bear have rather nailed the answer you were looking for. If it works and does what you ask of it then that is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back