• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plain Jane Woodsrunner bummer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot the rifle again today but the point of impact did not change when I used the same load. Although when I switched from Old Eynsford to regular Goex ffg there was a shift to the right about an inch and lower a bit. Didn’t kick nearly as much either. I used 90 grains. Then I tried Swiss 3f (70 grains) and my point of impact was at the same spot as I aimed (25 yards). Nice group with all shots touching. But sights still at extreme positions to achieve this.

So I call Jim Kibler (per his request on this thread) and spoke with him about the issue. End result is I have a new barrel on the way. Jim and his company are the greatest!!!!

Bummer though my idea with the Johnson Sight will not work. On a straight barrel (no taper or swamp) it would work. It’s just on the barrel shape the front sight gets too high. It calculates to a height of 0.510 to be POA at 25 yards. Although I do know now what sight to use on the front to give me the width I want. When I get this barrel I will shoot it in the white and see if is even possible to use peep on the tang, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I can hardly wait for cataract surgery to get custom eye balls made. Haha.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Received my new barrel yesterday. Thanks Jim!!!

Fits like a glove. I will be fiddling with sights and shoot it before I do any finishing work. I still want to attempt a peep on the breech, but that may not be possible. I’ve put on a front sight that is .4 inches high, as well as a higher rear sight. After I get the barrel sights regulated I’ll see if a peep would even line up.

Oh! My orginal barrel was 54 caliber. When I got the replacement I asked if I could get a 50 caliber instead. Jim said that would be fine. Why you may ask? Because I don’t have a 50!
E81B4F8F-5289-445F-BA2C-58A109A1A717.jpeg

Took the rifle out with the new 50 caliber barrel (previous was 54 caliber) today. Using a .490 ball, .020 patch with wonderlube and 80 grains of Swiss 2F. Shooting at 25 yards with my “improved” sights I am happy! The target attached is my first three shots. Although my hopes for the peep sight are dashed. It just won’t work with the barrel profile. But with my wide front sight relieved rear sight it will work.
E24BBEC3-0B54-4D30-B547-E2BD89E60623.jpeg

I did some filing on the front sight and aligned the sights just to make sure all is right. At 50 yards the group size is 1 1/2 inches. This is without any load development to. Adding to the experiment I shot some Hornady PA’s. These are designed for 1/66 twist and the barrel has a 1/70 twist. At 50 yards using 90 grains of Swiss 2F they grouped into 2 inches and at the same POI as the 80 grain charge with the patched roundball.

I shot mine today, to check trajectory.

.54, .526 RB, pocket drill patch with moose milk, 70 gr. 3F Schutzen.

Ragged hole at 25 yards point of aim, 1 1/2" group two inches high at 50 yards, 2" group at 75 yards with 2" drop, one inch group at 100 yards, 5" drop.

Don't ask me to repeat that, just a series of fortunate fliers, I can't see good enough to do that again.

Would you care to share the sights you are currently using.
I have a thread posted titled “Woodsrunner Sights”. I list the TOW part numbers there. Read the whole post. I made an error and corrected it.

Unfortunately I am not using the intended peep sight as I hoped. I may visit a tang sight later, but not at this time. So I’m using higher barrel sights (than those supplied) and broader front sight.

I have a thread posted titled “Woodsrunner Sights”. I list the TOW part numbers there. Read the whole post. I made an error and corrected it.

Unfortunately I am not using the intended peep sight as I hoped. I may visit a tang sight later, but not at this time. So I’m using higher barrel sights (than those supplied) and broader front sight.
Ok I found that didnt connect the two at first but now I do. I ordered some of those sights and received them from Track. The rear sight will require quite a bit of filing. Something I will need to have someone else do if I make the change. I dont have the files and skills to do this myself. At least not that much fitting.

Latest posts

Back