• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

adjusting sights on a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need a refresher on adjusting the fixed sights on my flintlock. Left and right are pretty straightforward. Up and down, I remember that one direction may require filing the front sight and I don't remember if anything needs to be done with the rear. I don't want to mess up anything but my .32 squirrel rifle needs some attention and I'm not confident where to start. I seem to be shooting high and load changes don't make a difference.

For elevation, you move the rear sight the way you want the impact to move. Move rear sight up, and the impact moves up. For changing the front sight - it is the opposite. Filing the front sight down then moves the impact up.

So in your situation it appears you need to file the rear sight down lower.

For elevation, you move the rear sight the way you want the impact to move. Move rear sight up, and the impact moves up. For changing the front sight - it is the opposite. Filing the front sight down then moves the impact up.

Ah,ha. That puts the BB in the right track in my little brain. Thank you!

As stated above, make sure you are getting the groups you want before you file anything, have that load dialed in.
Question. Is your front sight dovetailed in or soldered on? If dovetailed you may be able to get a taller front sight.

I had to adjust the rear sight on my smoothrifle lower,,, a lot lower. Remember, while you may have to file the notch deeper as you lower the overall height of the top horizontal line of the sight,,,, but just making the notch deeper won't do the job (I've seen people suggest this). My front sight is soldered. If I could have replaced it with a taller one I would have.

Last edited:
I struggled with this for a while and then finally came up with a concept that stuck in my brain:

Every time you pull the trigger your gun sends the projectile to the same point of impact (POI) with of course variances dependent upon the inherent accuracy of the gun. So, the thought process is, what must be done to make the sights look at the POI?

How do you, @Pilgrim, want to view the sights as you aim. Do you hold the top of the front sight even with the top of the notch in the rear sight or do you hold the top of the front sight barely visible in the bottom of the notch?

I find that I have better results and visibility of the target when I have the top of the front sight even with the top of the notch in the rear sight. Do take the time to develop the best load before going after the sights. As the barrel's lands smooth out the impacts change. It may take up to 100 to 200 shots before the barrel is smoothed enough for final load development. Study the patch. You want a load with a fired patch that properly fills the grooves, imprints on the ball to impart spin to the ball and hold together when fired to prevent gas blow by.

The acronym for sight adjustment is "FORS". Front Opposite, Rear Same as @Flint62Smoothie instructed in his posting. Make you decision on what sight to alter based on how it is attached to the barrel.

How do you, @Pilgrim, want to view the sights as you aim. Do you hold the top of the front sight even with the top of the notch in the rear sight or do you hold the top of the front sight barely visible in the bottom of the notch?

I find that I have better results and visibility of the target when I have the top of the front sight even with the top of the notch in the rear sight. Do take the time to develop the best load before going after the sights. As the barrel's lands smooth out the impacts change. It may take up to 100 to 200 shots before the barrel is smoothed enough for final load development. Study the patch. You want a load with a fired patch that properly fills the grooves, imprints on the ball to impart spin to the ball and hold together when fired to prevent gas blow by.

The acronym for sight adjustment is "FORS". Front Opposite, Rear Same as @Flint62Smoothie instructed in his posting. Make you decision on what sight to alter based on how it is attached to the barrel.
I level the front sight with the notch in the rear sight. My front sight is dovetailed. I have not yet fired 100 rounds through the gun.

I make temporary sights out of plastic or scrap aluminum. Then I use them as a model for the real sights.

DSC03160.JPG
the two high then I filed the rear sight to hit aim point

It can be quite a shock to discover how much filing needs to be done to move the POI several inches at 100 yds. The OP needs to keep in mind that it might turn out that just buying and installing new sights is the best way to go.

go slow. the shorter the front sight the higher it will shoot. the taller the rear sight the higher it will shoot. most front sights are high to start with and the gun will shoot low, so you can adjust by filing, that is what i do. a slight increase or decrease in powder charge will make no noticeable difference in point of impact. my little 36 i zeroed in at 35 yds. at 50 it drops a couple of inches but i mostly shoot it close. my 40cal and up guns i zero at 50yds. at 80yds i can still kill a deer or hit what i shoot at,,,,,,,,,,,,

It seems to be saying to move the sight in the opposite direction from the direction of the POI.

LC,
If the impact point (POI) is 3" left of the aiming point (POA), you want to move the POI 3" to the right so the POI = POA. To do that you can either move the front sight to the left (opposite) or move the rear sight to the right (same) direction you want the POI to move.

If the POI is 3" higher than the POA, then we want to lower the POI 3". To do that one can either raise the front sight (opposite) or lower the rear sight (same) direction one wants to shift the POI.

FORS - Front opposite Rear same - direction you want the POI to shift.

That is why most iron sighted guns want a 'too tall' front sight to start with, it being easier to take extra height off than to add to or raise the front sight.
Hope that helps. (Suspect this is all just saying the same thing a different way).

LC,
If the impact point (POI) is 3" left of the aiming point (POA), you want to move the POI 3" to the right so the POI = POA. To do that you can either move the front sight to the left (opposite) or move the rear sight to the right (same) direction you want the POI to move.
Yup, that's exactly how I do it and I explained it in an earlier post. My description is move the front sight so that it's looking at the POI. I guess we were not seeing or using "opposite" in the same context. In my mind y'all were moving the front sight to the right.

With your way of thinking it, your description works. My way of thinking of the front sight is to move it so that the sight picture is looking at the POI.

Latest posts

Back