• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plain Jane Woodsrunner bummer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siringo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a Woodsrunner several months ago and finally finished it. I have built 4 other Kiblers but I wanted this to be strictly my deer rifle for the MN woods. Cherry stock (all others are figured maple), browned barrel and lock. Caliber is 54. I wanted to add a sling to it and a rear peep sight. I just loved the sight picture. Well I was really happy how it all turned out and went to shoot it today. Unfortunately it shot 6.5 inches to the left and 6 inches high. I used a “Johnson Peep Sight” mounted so the rear of the peep was flush with the tang barrel junction. On that sight I cut off the peep and drilled and tapped a “Skinner” Lo-pro peep. That combination would effectively lower it from the orginal configuration about a 1/8 inch (I was concerned about front sight height). I also fitted an oversize front sight from TOW to give me a better blade to see (1/10 inch). My whole goal here was to have a traditional looking set of sights that I can actually see at dawn and dusk in the woods. Yet to my disappointment the sights just didn’t line up right. The front sight needs to be higher by 0.15 inches (now it’s too tall). Part of the issue is the barrel is also tapered which can mean higher front sights to bring it in line with rear sights. I also need to move the rear sight 0.20 to the right and I just don’t have that much adjustment. I can move the rear and front 0.1 each effectively to get that 0.20, but it looks lousy.

All these dimensions listed above get cut in half when the original sight set is used. All my muzzleloaders with octagon barrels, front and rear sights are little askew from what would be perceived the c/l of the barrel. Moving the sights further apart just exasperates the problem. So I guess it’s back to stock sights and glow paint!

Attachments

• 98A7A3D0-9091-44BC-A22D-D1C50149F59D.jpeg
    98A7A3D0-9091-44BC-A22D-D1C50149F59D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 7ED3A534-AC44-4355-9D61-6B52F096DDA9.jpeg
    7ED3A534-AC44-4355-9D61-6B52F096DDA9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 61968BB9-06E7-46B9-A89A-F31B2BD850F8.jpeg
    61968BB9-06E7-46B9-A89A-F31B2BD850F8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 86094601-197D-4398-8D4B-1D2FB570E17D.jpeg
    86094601-197D-4398-8D4B-1D2FB570E17D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I too use the Johnson peep sight , but I cut the body of the sight on an angle to mate up with the angle of the inlet tang. I mount the sight to the tang , with a single machine screw from the bottom of the tang. Simple measurment sets the position vertically on the tang. The front sight can be filed for vertical adjustment .

The piece of steel that is screwed to the barrel and your rear sight os mounted to,,, can you make another one? If so, can you make it thinner to lower the rear and maybe offset the screws from center left to right to correct some of the windage?

If all your other MLer sights are "a little askew" also you might want to find out what part of your shooting form is causing the issue.

For starters, are you for sure and certain you're shooting with your dominant eye?
I’m in the expert class. Lots of medals and trophy stuff. Lil sarcasm there, but I know how to shoot.

Yep, that’s one tall rear sight. Have you considered the flat metal peep that screws to the tang?
Yes, in fact I made a prototype based on conversations here. Still the problem with windage but I suppose I could fudge where the hole goes.

The piece of steel that is screwed to the barrel and your rear sight os mounted to,,, can you make another one? If so, can you make it thinner to lower the rear and maybe offset the screws from center left to right to correct some of the windage?
The sight does pivot. About 0.07 inches from centerline.
I do have another sight.
How tight is that sling dovetail?
Excellent point. I’m going to pull the barrel and slot the tenon. At least it will eliminate that variable.

How tight is that sling dovetail?
I pulled the barrel tonight and found a probable pressure point. The sling screw was under pressure so I opened up the hole on the tenon. In a few days or next week I’ll give it another go. Thanks for the suggestion. I should have known better.

I'd be findin' the fix for the windage problem before I worried about elevation.

But that's just me.......
I bought a Woodsrunner several months ago and finally finished it. I have built 4 other Kiblers but I wanted this to be strictly my deer rifle for the MN woods. Cherry stock (all others are figured maple), browned barrel and lock. Caliber is 54. I wanted to add a sling to it and a rear peep sight. I just loved the sight picture. Well I was really happy how it all turned out and went to shoot it today. Unfortunately it shot 6.5 inches to the left and 6 inches high. I used a “Johnson Peep Sight” mounted so the rear of the peep was flush with the tang barrel junction. On that sight I cut off the peep and drilled and tapped a “Skinner” Lo-pro peep. That combination would effectively lower it from the orginal configuration about a 1/8 inch (I was concerned about front sight height). I also fitted an oversize front sight from TOW to give me a better blade to see (1/10 inch). My whole goal here was to have a traditional looking set of sights that I can actually see at dawn and dusk in the woods. Yet to my disappointment the sights just didn’t line up right. The front sight needs to be higher by 0.15 inches (now it’s too tall). Part of the issue is the barrel is also tapered which can mean higher front sights to bring it in line with rear sights. I also need to move the rear sight 0.20 to the right and I just don’t have that much adjustment. I can move the rear and front 0.1 each effectively to get that 0.20, but it looks lousy.

All these dimensions listed above get cut in half when the original sight set is used. All my muzzleloaders with octagon barrels, front and rear sights are little askew from what would be perceived the c/l of the barrel. Moving the sights further apart just exasperates the problem. So I guess it’s back to stock sights and glow paint!
Beautiful job love the sling! Does your sight base have slots to adjust for windage? If not try slotting the holes. I have skinner sights on a Winchester I’m pretty sure they are slotted so you can adjust for windage. Did you fabricate the sling mount or is that available from say TOTW. Id love to add a sling to a rifle of mine. The sling too is very nice! Oh I was going to add is it possible to mill the base to get your elevation a bit lower. Lots of talent on this forum!

Beautiful job love the sling! Does your sight base have slots to adjust for windage? If not try slotting the holes. I have skinner sights on a Winchester I’m pretty sure they are slotted so you can adjust for windage. Did you fabricate the sling mount or is that available from say TOTW. Id love to add a sling to a rifle of mine. The sling too is very nice! Oh I was going to add is it possible to mill the base to get your elevation a bit lower. Lots of talent on this forum!
I bought the sling from Detroit Leather Shop. I wanted just a simple leather strap.

Then tenon was purchased from TOW. There are several sizes and I used the thickest/longest I could to support the swivel pin. I have a gunsmith mill the dovetail in the barrel.

The Johnson Sight has two attachment holes. One is slotted so the sight can pivot. I need to shoot the gun again after I relieved some stresses I had with the swivel pin and the barrel. The swivel is actually in an area of the swamped barrel that is the thinnest. Any stresses on the barrel could cause point of impact shift. I’ll shoot again but without the sling attached is see if it made a difference.

Last edited:
I bought the sling from Detroit Leather Shop. I wanted just a simple leather strap.

Then tenon was purchased from TOW. There are several sizes and I used the thickest/longest I could to support the swivel pin. I have a gunsmith mill the dovetail in the barrel.

The Johnson Sight has two attachment holes. One is slotted so the sight can pivot. I need to shoot the gun again after I relieved some stresses I had with the swivel pin and the barrel. The swivel is actually in an area of the swamped barrel that is the thinnest. Any stresses on the barrel could cause point of impact shift. I’ll shoot again but without the sling attached is see if it made a difference.
You’ll get there we all usually do. You did a nice job! Thanks for sharing the particulars!

I pulled the barrel tonight and found a probable pressure point. The sling screw was under pressure so I opened up the hole on the tenon. In a few days or next week I’ll give it another go. Thanks for the suggestion. I should have known better.
I shot the rifle again today with out the sling. There was not any change.

Latest posts

Back