• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Track of the Wolf has a rear sight for longrifles that look authentic and that fit into the rear sight dovetail. However, not so authentic and instead of a U notch it has addition metal above that to effectively make it a peep sight. Due to its forward position it can't be as useful as a peep sight near the eye, like a tang sight is. Maybe some of you have seen it. I'm wondering if anyone here has anything similar on their gun and how it performs. Thinking I might put it on my Kibler Colonial that I've yet to shoot. The supplied sight is like that era sight should be, but not so easily aligned with the front for someone my age.Opinions needed and appreciated.

Track of the Wolf has a rear sight for longrifles that look authentic and that fit into the rear sight dovetail. However, not so authentic and instead of a U notch it has addition metal above that to effectively make it a peep sight. Due to its forward position it can't be as useful as a peep sight near the eye, like a tang sight is. Maybe some of you have seen it. I'm wondering if anyone here has anything similar on their gun and how it performs. Thinking I might put it on my Kibler Colonial that I've yet to shoot. The supplied sight is like that era sight should be, but not so easily aligned with the front for someone my age.Opinions needed and appreciated.
Let's not all jump in at once.

I'm old w/ the usual cateracts , and about three yrs. ago , put a Johnson peep sight on the tang of my longrifle. Peep sight was best thing I've done , as I can see both sights , and the target clearly.
A Johnson peep. Not heard of it, but I will look it up. Thank you. Like you, I'm old too. Ancient actually. 76. But I shoot at least once per week.
And hey, BTW, what patch thickness and ball size do you use in your Colonial? I was just getting ready to order some stuff. Have not shot it yet.

A Johnson peep. Not heard of it, but I will look it up. Thank you. Like you, I'm old too. Ancient actually. 76. But I shoot at least once per week.
And hey, BTW, what patch thickness and ball size do you use in your Colonial? I was just getting ready to order some stuff. Have not shot it yet.
I reckon I should make that a separate thread about patch and ball.

Mike,,,,,,,,,,,,The Johnson Peep sights I got , were in the Muzzleloader Builder Supply websight. My catalog for MLBS is an old #18 , and not sure they have a print book any more. The Johnson sight takes standard screw in aperatures , listed on the same page. Also , as constructed , the sight is made to be mounted on top of the barrel . ...........Note , the sight must be cut on an angle to mate up with the angle of the breech plug tang. I've cut and mounted a couple w/ good success , using a single number 4 -- 40 tpi machine screw from the under side of the tang , into the under side of the sight. It's relatively easy to do , and performs the miracle of allowing you to see target , front sight , and rear sight peep. I couldn't shoot w/out it. ....oldwood

I'm fairly certain on this forum you count as middle aged. I'm also positive that at 48 I'm a wet behind the ears punk that's tentatively tolerated.

Ancient? Ancient? I must be prehistoric at 91 ;) Polecat 🦨

Mike, I have the taller Track rear sights on all my Kiblers. With the factory sights I had to file down the front sight so much there was almost nothing left. The taller sights definitely allow for a better sight picture for me, but you’ll still have to file the notch down some to zero your rifle. I’m in the process of doing that now on 4 rifles. It just takes time and a good file.

Last edited:
It's probably made to be dovetailed into a barrel closer to the breach. There is no standard dovetail size. I'd bet it's not guaranteed to fit any rifle sight dovetail.

I can only assume your experience shooting rifles. Have no idea of your skills or ability but it is impossible to focus on three things at once being rear sight, front sight, and target. Align your sights, place them on target and practice the fundamentals of good marksmanship while focusing only on your front sight and you will hit your mark. This is how old men outshoot young men. Maybe revisit the basics. At 50 I realize the last 10 years my better than excellent eyesight has deteriorated. Frustrating while squirrel hunting but it can be done. It's more technique and training than gadgets. You can do it man. It's great you shoot at least once a week. Wish I did.

Come on Pole Cat , it ain't all bad to be 91. Here'shopin' ya git ta 100 +.
Actually, Oldwood, it's pretty good. I am still driving [except at night], can still see to shoot pretty well, making a few knives and singing at a Gospel theater, and I have a pretty, loving wife. Life ain't too bad. Dale

Actually, Oldwood, it's pretty good. I am still driving [except at night], can still see to shoot pretty well, making a few knives and singing at a Gospel theater, and I have a pretty, loving wife. Life ain't too bad. Dale
Yeah but what do ya do in your spare time? Haha. You are blessed.

seasoned Dale. and you are a rich man indeed. nothing comes close to having a good women to share life with.

Is this the one you're referring to?

1000000382.jpg
1000000383.jpg

The hole is about 0.062. the ring stands about 0.062 off the flat of the blade and the outer width of the ring is about 0.150.

Yes, I think the hole is likely too small to be used at the normal position of ~12" from the breech.

I think it would potentially be useful in that spot if the hole is enlarged and the top is filed through to where the top of the ring could be level with the top of the post for a longer shot. Otherwise, center the top of the post in the ring.

Overall, I think it would be better dovetailed closer to the breech. However, I don't have it mounted in my barrel so I can't say for sure.

Mike, I have the taller Track rear sights on all my Kiblers. With the factory sights I had to file down the front sight so much there was almost nothing less. The taller sights definitely allow for a better sight picture for me, but you’ll still have to file the notch down some to zero your rifle. I’m in the process of doing that now on 4 rifles. It just takes time and a good file.
This right here....I also had to file down the front sight on my Colonial .58 to almost nothing. Put a taller rear on it and a taller front with larger notch. Old eyes need more light around the front post in the rear notch, at least mine do.

.Opinions needed and appreciated.

I converted the sight pictured below by filing the aperture out with a small round file and soldering a small washer over the opening. So, this probably won't fit your dovetail but should be functionally the same.

It's certainly not comparable to a tang mounted peep but is immensely better than any open notch.

rs-la_0.jpg

Latest posts

Back