• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Rifle Availability?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know it’s deleted? And by who? I just read through 3 pages and there is no ending. Ughh
I went to reply then noticed the OP hasn’t been back in months to respond. The forum won’t allow you to delete a post so I just wrote delete lol. That’s twice tonight I’ve been tricked into starting to reply to a thread long dormant because someone else did.

Don't discount loyalist arms or military heritage. They offer historic guns at a price point around $500. My experience has been India $500 Italian guns $1,000 custom guns 1500 and up. Used flinters can be had across the entire Spectrum kits the same applies.

My one suggestion is if it has a brand name, do not buy it.
A built rifle will last longer and be less trouble.
Ive yet to fire a production gun that shoots like a built rifle.

If you can get to Dixon's, Log Cabin Shop, Dixie, Ft. Chambers, etc. try that first. Explain that you are new and looking for a start and they will try to help you. The people working there know what they are doing and will send you in the right direction. They also may help fit you for the gun as to length of pull, eye dominance, etc. It may not be a perfect fit, but it will be better than just guessing online.

If you can't do that, an alternative is to get a friend who knows flintlock rifles to go with you to a non-specialty shop and look at the flintlock rifles and help you pick one out. Again, this should be someone who can be your guardrails from going off the road, so to speak. You will have to cast about to find a flintlock at a regular gun shop, but try your local area and work outward, depending on how far you want to drive.

If neither of those can be done, look at any newly made guns from known makers sold by a reputable shop or dealer (e.g., if you can find a Pedersoli Kentucky at a Cabela's or something of that sort). Stock is spotty but at least you have some protection of a reputable store and some kind of new warranty.

The last thing I would do as a new person is to buy a used gun online from someone on Gunbroker, or on broker website, pawn shop, etc. This is certainly something you can do as you learn more what to look for and what fits you. When you buy a used flinter you buy three things: the bore quality, the lock, and the prior owner's maintenance habits. There are many good buys out there in this category, but as a first-timer, I'd stay on the more beaten path. You can get burned in this realm as well, and many of us have had that happen at one point or another. If you start collecting these guns and shooting them a lot, then you can go this route later.

Last edited:
Seek and Ye Shall find-
I looked for few months before I got my Tc Renegade Flintlock. Spent $20 at my local shop to get the Lock/tuned and adjusted (older lock). Sparks a mighty fine now- and The Rifle is a very nice starter Flintlock. After that I needed a carbine- rb twist. Got another Tc with new lock.
Bang for Buck the Tc Flintlock is pretty good in my opinion- maybe not others. Just start reading and finding someone who shoots a Flinter to show you the ropes. Look … Everywhere as one will show up eventually.
I'm 19 and have been hunting for 7 or 8 years at this point, all either through archery or standard shotguns and rifles. In the past year or so I've been looking to get into hunting with a flintlock rifle, partially for the traditional aspect and partially due to my state (PA) having its own flintlock season.

I've looked all over the place, but everywhere I look it seems almost no one has anything in stock (backorder) and many places don't even have anything for backorder. Since I'm new to the flintlock community, I'm not sure if this is a common occurrence, or whether it's due to covid and such, or whether I'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not looking for anything too flashy or expensive, just a well built and solid quality flintlock to start with.

Any suggestions on where to look or the best way to approach buying a flintlock rifle? Are there flintlocks readily available or is it always this difficult to find?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back