• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Rifle Availability?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went and looked in my library and found the below:

Flintlocks
A Practical Guide For Their Use And Appreciation by Eric A. Bye

It should be available from the NMLRA, published in 2013. It should be required reading as Ned Roberts book should be for the percussion shooter. If you cannot get it there, try the Log Cabin, they have a major library.

As before, I read he has a new one coming out after the first of the year.

fdf
I have that book', it's a good value. :)

Yes, I’m glad it’s 2 + hours away.

It’s a really cool place with lots of History…

Cool museum too!

View attachment 108405
View attachment 108406

It’s hard too believe one man could accumulate such a collection…
Prior too the www…
I'm sure he had a network of employees, plus his reputation no doubt attracted offers. What a nice gem of a business! Wish I could get there, but I'm in PA, and have wanted to make the drive to see the Civil War battlefields along the way, etc.

Pennsylvania has a rich history in Flintlocks. I would recommend you shop
here on this forum first and then if nothing you like, put a Wanted ad here
first. The members here have thousands of rifles that are sitting, often
hard to get, that they might let go. Look over the builders who do quality
kits as well. You have come to the right place to voice your desires. My
only caution is do not go too cheap on a rifle you may use for decades.
Save more or sell something you don't need and be willing to pay more.

Buying used, need a bore scope or flashlight as mentioned.

I also take a range rod along with cleaning patches and screw drivers to take the lock off.

Also take a large towel to lay the rifle on while doing the inspection so that it does not get scratched up.

Buying used, need a bore scope or flashlight as mentioned.

I also take a range rod along with cleaning patches and screw drivers to take the lock off.

Also take a large towel to lay the rifle on while doing the inspection so that it does not get scratched up.
Ask the shop to take the lock off , if they can't or don't have the tools , look elsewhere .

Ask the shop to take the lock off , if they can't or don't have the tools , look elsewhere .

And while you're at it, don't be a Yankee about it. Ask nicely if they mind taking the lock off. And if they don't have the tools you aren't actually in a gun shop or a pawn shop. You're in a florists and they are trying to sell you a dozen roses.

I will say that literally anytime a customer tries to start disassembling our guns themselves, I take it from them. A year or less of selling guns will prove the rightness of my actions to anyone. I've seen "gun guys" immediately dump a mag straight onto the ground, and a guy who has owned guns his whole life leave a very expensive pistol damaged at the muzzle from trying to remove a tightly fitted barrel bushing. So, from one gun seller to one potential buyer, don't be a ponce about it, and know what to look for without getting forensic.

I always ask if i can inspect a gun first, then I go to the truck to get what I brought with me. No use in bringing the stuff inside if I cannot use it. You are in their house, their rules.

Last edited:
And while you're at it, don't be a Yankee about it. Ask nicely if they mind taking the lock off. And if they don't have the tools you aren't actually in a gun shop or a pawn shop. You're in a florists and they are trying to sell you a dozen roses.

I will say that literally anytime a customer tries to start disassembling our guns themselves, I take it from them. A year or less of selling guns will prove the rightness of my actions to anyone. I've seen "gun guys" immediately dump a mag straight onto the ground, and a guy who has owned guns his whole life leave a very expensive pistol damaged at the muzzle from trying to remove a tightly fitted barrel bushing. So, from one gun seller to one potential buyer, don't be a ponce about it, and know what to look for without getting forensic.
I keep a flexible borescope in the truck. If I see a used gun I am interested in, I ask if ‘we’ could run a borescope down the bore for a look see. If no, I usually immediately walk. If told they don’t have one, I offer mine. If still no, I walk. Once the borescope is down the bore, there us that ‘boy is that ugly moment’. Maybe make an offer on one out of every ten or so that I look at. Actually buy maybe one out of twenty. Ultimately most purchased have been gifted to a nephew or some buddy’s kid getting started. Yep, I’m looking for a deal, a deal deal, on the typical gun I buy today.

Dixons dies not have many customs to pick from there selling fast plus they have zero lymans he can't get them so if your looking better get there quickly.

I belong to a club and shoot Clay's almost every weekend. You will catch me on the rifle range and pistol bays quite a bit too. When I go to shoot Clay's I can mention I am looking for something and most times someone there has exactly what I want for a decent price. Got my flintlock rifle, 2 percussion shotguns, a drilling, etc. Next up is a matchlock and it looks like I will have one soon.

Look at the The Gun Works to see what they have.

Periodically the sister site has traditional guns for sale.

I ran into the same problem when I got into muzzleloaders not too long ago. I couldn't find anything I liked... so I built one.

Attachments

• 20200426_185417.jpg
    20200426_185417.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200426_185617.jpg
    20200426_185617.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 53
Flintlocks, Eric Bye (1st edition). Chapters
01 Introduction
02 Worings of a Flintlock
03 Loading and Shooting
04 Cleaning