• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time buyer / cracked stocks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, man! I probably should’ve started out with a CVA or Traditions being a complete and utter newbie here, but I have a tendency to jump into new hobbies with both feet. I was looking at Pedersolis for a good long while, but they’re not cheap, and it sounds like quality is kind of hit or miss. Buy once, cry once I suppose.

You wouldn’t happen to know if Bruce Hamlin is still around, would you? I know he is/was a member of the forum.
Buying an inexpressive gun is a good way to lose interest and be misled into thinking all the fussing and fiddling is normal.

Thanks, man! I probably should’ve started out with a CVA or Traditions being a complete and utter newbie here, but I have a tendency to jump into new hobbies with both feet. I was looking at Pedersolis for a good long while, but they’re not cheap (as much or more than this Bruce Hamlin custom) and it sounds like quality is kind of hit or miss on the new offerings. Buy once, cry once, I suppose.

You wouldn’t happen to know if Bruce Hamlin is still around, would you? I know he is/was a member of the forum.
yes @BruceHH is here.

I have done business with Bruce (@BruceHH) through this forum and without doubt would do more with him. I don’t have any guns that he has built, but I’m confident they would be solid first class builds.

Ain’t any falling for any doctrine. Many builders get it thin as possible because that is how they were originally made.
And following how things were done 200 years ago and it cracked as a result, that's following doctrine to me. Just because they did it that way doesn't mean it can't fail

So… I’m looking at purchasing my first flintlock and have been seriously considering a used custom/kit rifle in the $1,500 range. I can’t help but wonder why so many used flintlocks on the market have varying degrees of cracks in the stock. Why do you suppose this is? Is it simply the nature of flintlocks? Due to errors in the inletting process? Abuse?

I’m not a masochist, so I plan on keeping my charges to reasonable levels. I just hate to think that the rifle I’ve spent my hard-earned cash on is destined to develop a crack or split at some point.
Very curious your getting to see so many cracks ( is there a scratch on your glasses ?) levity aside it isn't normal to get any visable cracks on made up guns .Some times shakes can marr a stock blank but these can be artfully got round or simply not used !? .Two pics show a faulted & sold off cheap Pecatonica with scarce any for end wood but I made use of it in a ' Turn off ' breach loading rifle .The other was a blank from Vern Davis unsaleable for a normal half stock if lovely dense wood . I think he gave it me but I could hide the 'Shake' fancy word for a natural crack under the tool box on the curios cheek stock rifle such as was on sale in a booth at F ship it was flint but I made my copy' English lock' latest form Having traded For a song (Maybe literally )a lock plate from Jim Chambers and the barrel was a reject one in 16" pitch short 58 cal oct brl . Montana/ Orien had hauled to F ship but wrote Underneath ' Junk 'OR' Trash' cant be sure but one of them .So the whole affair was of secondary bits .Not every ones choice but close to that original and certainly a hunting rifle for me .
.Quite often kit suppliers would only send out perfect pre shape stock blanks knowing that the buyers would crib about the supposed defects .Whereas the same "faulty 'blanks where given to the ' In the White' stockers who knew how to get round such minor faults .One noted Gunmaker reckoned nice pretty stocks should not be sold to ammeters as they would only ruin good wood .! I concede he had a point there , how ever this is rather contrary to commercial norms .
I was ferreting through Harrison Rimers goody box once at F ship and soon picked out the major parts of an L&R lock sold as a kit lock only the customer had so Er' Stuffed it up' Bill Cox gave the nuisance bungler a new complete lock & gave the faulty bits to Harrison with the instructions NOT to sell the parts as a whole . well Ide gathered the bits but he couldn't sell me them so he ran it by L&R and they said 'OK' since they knew me . Well that' bitza' I made up into a rifle that's still going strong far as I know ..Sort of a penny's worth of material & a pounds worth of knowledge .added to a dash of imagination . Well what a' scite 'but a bit relevant .
Regards Rudyard
pics to follow

1709164991797.png

1709164977897.png

1709164960932.png

Last edited:
RE cheaper flint locks..... I have had three CVA Flint locks. The first, a .50 mnt rifle NEVER DID FIRE, Tried everything including a new frizzen, numerous flints. Got my $$ back. The next a CVA .50 Plainsman was pretty decent. Still have it. The next, a .50 hawken just bought here last year, I have had out but once last fall. 25 yrd shots X 3 equal what appeared as a .54 or .58 hole. EXCELLENT potential. Had issues with cocking etc so put it way. Wil get tuned and likely have a 2" 100yd rilfe. BE CAREFUL. Going the way you chose is the right thing. BUT you will likely never have the patience for the CVA and/or Traditions rifles that require messing with most the time. They can be absolute tack drivers though.

Last edited:
Barrels will set back slightly under recoil. The more imprecise the inlet the more likely to move. Quite often the rear lock screw will end up impacting the clearance hole through the tang and cracking the stock. This phenomenon can also occur with shrinkage due to age. This shows up as a crack from the rear lock bolt on the side plate of the stock running aft.

I have done business with Bruce (@BruceHH) through this forum and without doubt would do more with him. I don’t have any guns that he has built, but I’m confident they would be solid first class builds.
Thanks for chiming in here. Both Bill Brookover (the one facilitating the sale of the rifle) and Bruce Hamlin appear to be highly regarded on the forum, and it’s nice to have that peace of mind in both respects. I’m just hoping that the carrier does their part, as I can’t bear receiving another damaged rifle! I’ve purchased two percussion rifles in the past two weeks with cracked wrists, and both sellers have sworn up and down that they didn’t send ‘em out like that. I know Bill will do his best to ensure it’s well-packed.

Last edited:
I’m just hoping that the carrier does their part, as I can’t bear receiving another damaged rifle! I’ve purchased two percussion rifles in the past two weeks with cracked wrists, and both sellers have sworn up and down that they didn’t send ‘em out like that.
Any higher value long guns I’m involved shipping go in wood crates similar to what Kibler uses, although there was a post a while back where one of their crates was busted open. As I recall, while appearing to be ‘intentional’ damage to the packaging, there was no damage to the gun nor any missing components, but likely only because the smaller items were glued into the package.

Good luck with delivery and enjoy your new gun.

As long as that topic is up; is there a good reason not to finish or seal these areas? Other than that's not the way it was originally done?
Yes, I don't finish them because the finish will swell the inlet area requiring a lot of work to refit the part, not only the plate but the internals in the case of a lock.

Thanks, man! I probably should’ve started out with a CVA or Traditions being a complete and utter newbie here, but I have a tendency to jump into new hobbies with both feet. I was looking at Pedersolis for a good long while, but they’re not cheap (as much or more than this Bruce Hamlin custom) and it sounds like quality is kind of hit or miss on the new offerings. Buy once, cry once, I suppose.

I don’t know Mr. Hamlin. But I will say that you made the right choice in bypassing a cheaper gun when it comes to flintlocks.

There is nothing like the feel of a well made custom rifle with a swamped barrel. This gun will shoulder like a dream and will be worth every dime.

I have delt with Bruce several times.
Bought a Pedersoli Mortimer from him. He shipped it in a wood case like a Kibler comes in. USPS laid it on the road and drove over it. tire tracks across the case. broke the wrist. nothing Bruce could have done differently would have mattered. i almost have an anxiety attack shipping guns anymore.

I have delt with Bruce several times.
Bought a Pedersoli Mortimer from him. He shipped it in a wood case like a Kibler comes in. USPS laid it on the road and drove over it. tire tracks across the case. broke the wrist. nothing Bruce could have done differently would have mattered. i almost have an anxiety attack shipping guns anymore.
That’s absolutely nuts! I sure hope you were able to get some sort of resolution. What did the post office have to say for themselves?

Had this happened to me, I think my head would’ve exploded.

I don’t know Mr. Hamlin. But I will say that you made the right choice in bypassing a cheaper gun when it comes to flintlocks.

There is nothing like the feel of a well made custom rifle with a swamped barrel. This gun will shoulder like a dream and will be worth every dime.

Thanks for the affirmation, Tommy! I knew I’d live to regret it if I passed this rifle up. I don’t know what Bruce charges for his builds, but I do know he invests a couple hundred hours into them and the level of craftsmanship is glaringly obvious. I can hardly wait to get it in my hot little hands!

Back