• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert percussion to flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever converted a percussion to a flintlock on their rifle?

I'm not asking if it can be done I'm asking if anyone has ever done it.

I've been wanting a flintlock for some years an I'm thinking about converting one of my existing rifles.

If you haven't ever converted a percussion to flintlock thars no need to concern bout what I'm asking here
Of course it matters, you cannot convert a T/C percussion to flint, but many CVA and Traditions sidekicks have drums, which can be removed and made into a flintlock.
You know what, why don’t you figure it out for yourself. Unbelievable
IMG_3476.jpeg

I've built a switch ignition. Built the percussion first. Drum type in a Colerain barrel. Used the same thread flashole liner for the flint. Percussion was a Large Siler lock, the flint was an L&R replacement lock for a Large Siler. Pan location was a perfect fit for the drum/liner hole as were the placement of the lock bolts. I did have to make minor changes in the flint's lock plate to perfectly match the inlet of the Large Siler percussion. Some minor grinding in a couple places, and some minor welding to fill in gaps in a couple other places. Overall it was a successful build and swapping ignition is straight forward and very easy.

Seth. , and that isn't to complicated.......Your question is complex , because there are so many ways to install a percussion vs Flintlock system. I've done a few percussion to flint , but the problem is there is no standardation gun to gun , manufacturer to mfgr. , a book could be written on the subject. Hope you understand. Might be able to offer suggestions , If we know more details of what you have.

Thanks for the replies 🙂
Was really just wondering what other people had done and what experiences they had, wasn't expecting somebody to give me a 1 2 3 plan of how to convert one specific rifle,

I'm actually not sure which one I would want to convert to flintlock, I may wait a few months and just save some money and buy one, was really wanting to hear from somebody who done it and what their results were.

I've looked through history books for years wondering if anybody on the frontier ever for lack of caps converted their percussion to a flintlock ?

From reading a few thousand pages of Appalachian Mtn. history , I recall that even into civil war times , flint ignition was still used in the backwoods. Percussion simply took the market post 1820. Percussion caps must have been avaliable everywhere powder was sold . These mundane subjects weren't mentioned in info of the day.

Has anyone here ever converted a percussion to a flintlock on their rifle?

I'm not asking if it can be done I'm asking if anyone has ever done it.

I've been wanting a flintlock for some years an I'm thinking about converting one of my existing rifles.
OK Maybe it's better to start over with this one on topic. To answer your question: Yes I have converted several guns both ways and yes the gun manufacture matters, here is what I've done and found:

TC Renegade & TC Hawken Its best to replace & re-fit the breechplugs.

Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle from percussion to flint. Just a parts swap as @painter stated above.

Dixie .50 cal Mountain rifle, Japanese Mikoru mfg. The lock dropped in place but I had to fabricate 8mm vent liners as they were not available.

CVA's The real early ones were fairly easy, just traditional drum, vent liner swap & lock. The later CVA's are a bit more difficult after they changed the breech style. But still doable, a gentleman on eBay sells an adapter for about $20 but it is NOT plug and play.

I've done 2 of the late 1800's Belgian fowlers. The old low-cost General Store or Sears catalog guns with success.

Thanks,
O.R.

Track of the Wolf used to sell T/C threaded breech plugs. I've converted a couple from cap to flintlock. The stock has to be inlet deeper for one screw. The barrel requires more work and some specialty tools. Vice, Vice jaws from Rice, a breech plug tool from T/C and a wrench to hold the tool.

I've also converted an older build from caplock to flint. That rifle was build from a parts kit, likely in the 70's. It had a drum and a Russ Hamm caplock, I replaced the drum with a flash-hole liner and inlet the stock for the flintlock. The Russ Hamm locks were a little small, so I put a lyman flintlock right over the old lock inletting with minimal work.

I'll post pictures a little later.

I agree, seems like Bob got his head bit off for asking an easy question.
I was the one asking a question.

Does anyone here want to talk about having converted a percussion to a flintlock and a number of people have shared their stories and experiences.👍

Didn't bite anybody's head off.

Track of the Wolf used to sell T/C threaded breech plugs. I've converted a couple from cap to flintlock. The stock has to be inlet deeper for one screw. The barrel requires more work and some specialty tools. Vice, Vice jaws from Rice, a breech plug tool from T/C and a wrench to hold the tool.

I've also converted an older build from caplock to flint. That rifle was build from a parts kit, likely in the 70's. It had a drum and a Russ Hamm caplock, I replaced the drum with a flash-hole liner and inlet the stock for the flintlock. The Russ Hamm locks were a little small, so I put a lyman flintlock right over the old lock inletting with minimal work.

I'll post pictures a little later.
Looking forward to those pictures,

Back