• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert percussion to flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Maybe it's better to start over with this one on topic. To answer your question: Yes I have converted several guns both ways and yes the gun manufacture matters, here is what I've done and found:

TC Renegade & TC Hawken Its best to replace & re-fit the breechplugs.

Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle from percussion to flint. Just a parts swap as @painter stated above.

Dixie .50 cal Mountain rifle, Japanese Mikoru mfg. The lock dropped in place but I had to fabricate 8mm vent liners as they were not available.

CVA's The real early ones were fairly easy, just traditional drum, vent liner swap & lock. The later CVA's are a bit more difficult after they changed the breech style. But still doable, a gentleman on eBay sells an adapter for about $20 but it is NOT plug and play.

I've done 2 of the late 1800's Belgian fowlers. The old low-cost General Store or Sears catalog guns with success.

Thanks,
O.R.
Don't break your neck doing it it's no hurry but if you could share that link to that fellas store on eBay I'm sure there's more people than just myself that would appreciate it

I once saw at auction a volcanic repeater that had been converted to a single shot muzzleloader.

The ball tube under the barrel had its spring and stopper removed and was used to hold a ramrod the action had been welded shut and a nipple for a percussion cap had been put in the hole where the firing pin was.

Don't break your neck doing it it's no hurry but if you could share that link to that fellas store on eBay I'm sure there's more people than just myself that would appreciate it
Please see the attached. It looks like he sold out of them. 40+ He may be making another run, if interested I would contact him. If anyone is in a pinch I have one left, contact me.

Thanks,
O.R.

Attachments

• CVA Conversion adpt b.jpg
    CVA Conversion adpt b.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CVA Conversion adpt c.jpg
    CVA Conversion adpt c.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CVA Conversion adpt.jpg
    CVA Conversion adpt.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 0
I bought one of the Blunderbuss kits, I asked a friend, a very good builder, if he could convert it to flint. He said it sounded do able. The only problem we had was the size of the lock to fit where the percussion lock had been. WE finally used a Queen Ann style, it was a smidge short so he fabricated some filler. The action works fine and it is fun to shoot

Of course it matters, you cannot convert a T/C percussion to flint, but many CVA and Traditions sidekicks have drums, which can be removed and made into a flintlock.
You know what, why don’t you figure it out for yourself. Unbelievable View attachment 290778
you sir are wrong . I personally converted a handful of TC's to percussion and I suspect that the Investarms, Lyman, and most of the others with snail ( or patient if you prefer that term ) breech plugs ( or patient if you prefer that term ) they are not very difficult at all however they do take a little more time

Please see the attached. It looks like he sold out of them. 40+ He may be making another run, if interested I would contact him. If anyone is in a pinch I have one left, contact me.

Thanks,
O.R.
as some one said these are not plug and play but for any body that doesn't have my shop to work with they are a good start. me personally use a grade bolt to make this same plug then fit it to the barrel , line bore it , and mill it close and draw file it for finish drill it and tap for liner . that takes care of the barrel the next step is to fit the lock up tight to the barrel . On patient or snail breech's why go to all the headache of removing the breech plug ? I simply mill and file the snail to the barrel flats 50/50 you wont even be able to tell that it's been converted . I the worst case is there is a divot that does nothing to affect function it is just a cosmetic thing half of my customers have me tig it up and finish it up

I’ve converted CVA’s. There is a guy on eBay that sells a conversion plug. I just use a metric bolt and machine it myself.
I had to move the flintlock forward about 1/16 for better flashhole alignment. It’s not really that hard to convert one if you are somewhat handy.

Thanks for the replies 🙂
Was really just wondering what other people had done and what experiences they had, wasn't expecting somebody to give me a 1 2 3 plan of how to convert one specific rifle,

I'm actually not sure which one I would want to convert to flintlock, I may wait a few months and just save some money and buy one, was really wanting to hear from somebody who done it and what their results were.

I've looked through history books for years wondering if anybody on the frontier ever for lack of caps converted their percussion to a flintlock ?
I've done dozens of them. Some were more complicated than others but just about any can be done, just depends on time and money.

I once saw at auction a volcanic repeater that had been converted to a single shot muzzleloader.

The ball tube under the barrel had its spring and stopper removed and was used to hold a ramrod the action had been welded shut and a nipple for a percussion cap had been put in the hole where the firing pin was.
Oh the humanity! i will now have nightmares!

I've done the conversion. Much better to go from a percussion with the drum and nipple for ignition as all that is required in most cases is to remove the drum, install a touch hole liner and replace the percussion lock with a flint lock.

1707066730578.jpeg

1707066680555.jpeg

The complexity is in dealing with the different types of breeches that we start out with.

The traditional flat breech with the drum and nipple is the easiest to convert.

Keep in mind that the pan on the flintlock isn't guaranteed to line up with the liner you install. In my case, I was able to drill the touch hole at about 3 o'clock and not have to do any wood work to get the lock in place. LR percussion lock to LR flintlock.

Latest posts

Back