• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting to look for a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryeboy86

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good day gentlemen,

I'm new to flintlock as I have never owned one or shot one before. I've shot percussion back in the day, but that was a long time ago. I'm eventually wanting to get a Flintlock built for Elk Hunting. I'm wanting a .58cal with at least a 40" barrel. Looking for a nice full length stock with good grain and I want Iron furniture. Doesn't have to be to fancy, but don't want plain Jane either.. I've been talking talking to Cave Creek but his wait time is 2yrs.. Do you guys know of any other builders that could build a rifle for Elk Hunting? I'm also trying to stay around $2,500 or so.. Thanks for the help guys!

I had Mike Roby build my 58 caliber poor boy flintlock. He's not on the forum here but he's good friends with @AZ Muzzleloaders

This guy builds some amazing guns too and his turn around time seems to be very reasonable.

https://www.facebook.com/Kashtuk.Bow.and.Gun?mibextid=ZbWKwL
Here's another guy that builds some amazing rifles too.

https://www.facebook.com/adam.daub.129?mibextid=ZbWKwL
Good luck!
I would love to see their work! I don't have Facebook though..

First of all, I'm not the builder for you. I'm the type of builder you're talking about. I produce three to four guns per year, mostly iron mounted southern guns. I build from a blank, and make my own iron hardware and double set triggers. I don't have a waiting list; but for personal reasons, I'm not accepting new work for at least nine months. I'm currently on rifle number 12 from a blank; and I've bee shooting flintlocks for about 38 years. So I do have some opinions and advice.

I love the .58, and have been shooting one for almost thirty years. With moderate charges (I shoot 70 grs. 3f in my .58) it's a real thumper on game. I don't hunt elk these days, but the .58 would be my choice. It goes without saying that it's great for deer as well, but I prefer my .50 Southern Mtn Rifle for deer.

Since you've never shot a flintlock, I would recommend shooting flintlocks... plural... before making a decision. Don't just shoot them, but load them and clean them too. And shooting a squirrel gun is not like shooting a big bore. They're not that different; but there is more fuss and boom... and it can be intimidating to a new shooter... resulting in a nasty flinch that can dampen your enthusiasm.

You want an iron mounted gun. Is there a specific reason you want iron? By far, most of the guns produced were mounted in brass; so iron limits the type of gun that's appropriate. And, while there is plenty of iron hardware available, it doesn't mean that it's appropriate on any style of gun. And yes, a builder could build whatever you want... but a good builder isn't going to put their name on just anything.

You want good grain, not a plain Jane, and a great builder. For $2500? The market seems pretty soft right now, but a fair price for good work will cost you more than that for a custom gun built from a blank. There are some people out there who assemble guns from kits and pre-carves, and you could have someone assemble something for you for that price i imagine. There are some high quality kits out there that can turn out to be great guns.

It also depends on what you want in a gun; and what you want that gun to mean to you. I'm a reenactor; and I have ancestors on both sides of my family who were settlers, frontiersmen, and pioneers. I'm pretty sure that my ancestors, and the mountain men I emulate, did not carry guns that were made by robots. A custom gun requires hundreds of measurements, thousands of decisions, and thousands of passes with chisels, rasps, and files. Therein lies the beauty of a well built custom gun. But a person should expect to pay a fair price for that.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend a custom gun for someone in your situation. It's a big investment when you really don't know yet, whether you're going to be hard core flintlock shooter; and where the sport will take you. I would recommend a high quality used gun, or something assembled from a high quality kit.

Your description leaves me the impression that you may not know what type/style of gun you want. If so... do what it takes to figure that one out before you spend any money on a gun, and risk ending up with something you're not happy with... and that you'll take a loss on.

Spend some more time seeing what's out there... what catches your eye. Shoot some guns. And don't rule out brass, iron, and all of your options so soon in the game. Don't make any quick decisions. My two cents.

Good day gentlemen,

I'm new to flintlock as I have never owned one or shot one before. I've shot percussion back in the day, but that was a long time ago. I'm eventually wanting to get a Flintlock built for Elk Hunting. I'm wanting a .58cal with at least a 40" barrel. Looking for a nice full length stock with good grain and I want Iron furniture. Doesn't have to be to fancy, but don't want plain Jane either.. I've been talking talking to Cave Creek but his wait time is 2yrs.. Do you guys know of any other builders that could build a rifle for Elk Hunting? I'm also trying to stay around $2,500 or so.. Thanks for the help guys!
Welcome to flintlocks! If you have never shot or owned a flinter, you might want to think about shooting a few before you actually invest in having one made. You want one for yourself, right? Since you have never shot or owned one, may I ask if you know what will be the best fit and style for your body? Just something to think about. I am all for having a custom gun made, but, if you haven't experienced lock types, weights, styles, barrels, and componets of a flinter, how will you get what fits? Picking componets and style from what you see and read about is no comparison to shooting reality.
Good luck!
Larry

First of all, I'm not the builder for you. I'm the type of builder you're talking about. I produce three to four guns per year, mostly iron mounted southern guns. I build from a blank, and make my own iron hardware and double set triggers. I don't have a waiting list; but for personal reasons, I'm not accepting new work for at least nine months. I'm currently on rifle number 12 from a blank; and I've bee shooting flintlocks for about 38 years. So I do have some opinions and advice.

I love the .58, and have been shooting one for almost thirty years. With moderate charges (I shoot 70 grs. 3f in my .58) it's a real thumper on game. I don't hunt elk these days, but the .58 would be my choice. It goes without saying that it's great for deer as well, but I prefer my .50 Southern Mtn Rifle for deer.

Since you've never shot a flintlock, I would recommend shooting flintlocks... plural... before making a decision. Don't just shoot them, but load them and clean them too. And shooting a squirrel gun is not like shooting a big bore. They're not that different; but there is more fuss and boom... and it can be intimidating to a new shooter... resulting in a nasty flinch that can dampen your enthusiasm.

You want an iron mounted gun. Is there a specific reason you want iron? By far, most of the guns produced were mounted in brass; so iron limits the type of gun that's appropriate. And, while there is plenty of iron hardware available, it doesn't mean that it's appropriate on any style of gun. And yes, a builder could build whatever you want... but a good builder isn't going to put their name on just anything.

You want good grain, not a plain Jane, and a great builder. For $2500? The market seems pretty soft right now, but a fair price for good work will cost you more than that for a custom gun built from a blank. There are some people out there who assemble guns from kits and pre-carves, and you could have someone assemble something for you for that price i imagine. There are some high quality kits out there that can turn out to be great guns.

It also depends on what you want in a gun; and what you want that gun to mean to you. I'm a reenactor; and I have ancestors on both sides of my family who were settlers, frontiersmen, and pioneers. I'm pretty sure that my ancestors, and the mountain men I emulate, did not carry guns that were made by robots. A custom gun requires hundreds of measurements, thousands of decisions, and thousands of passes with chisels, rasps, and files. Therein lies the beauty of a well built custom gun. But a person should expect to pay a fair price for that.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend a custom gun for someone in your situation. It's a big investment when you really don't know yet, whether you're going to be hard core flintlock shooter; and where the sport will take you. I would recommend a high quality used gun, or something assembled from a high quality kit.

Your description leaves me the impression that you may not know what type/style of gun you want. If so... do what it takes to figure that one out before you spend any money on a gun, and risk ending up with something you're not happy with... and that you'll take a loss on.

Spend some more time seeing what's out there... what catches your eye. Shoot some guns. And don't rule out brass, iron, and all of your options so soon in the game. Don't make any quick decisions. My two cents.
I appreciate the input! I'm definitely open to very well taken care of rifle! I don't know the pros and cons of brass and iron. I know brass an be hard to be kept clean..

Definitely all valid points to think about!! I hope there is a group near me that I can shoot some rifles at! I'd be willing to drive to Phoenix or other areas to handle different lengths and types!

I appreciate the input! I'm definitely open to very well taken care of rifle! I don't know the pros and cons of brass and iron. I know brass an be hard to be kept clean..
Brass should not be cleaned and polished. Let it age naturally. Nothing worse than bright, shiny, new looking brass on an old rifle.

A full stock J&S Hawken copy would work in a .58 hunting rifle and would be iron mounted. Percussion was the known ignition of surviving rifles but it was surmised the early ones could have been flint. No one really knows. I don't know any builders offhand though.

Latest posts

Back