• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert percussion to flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies 🙂
Was really just wondering what other people had done and what experiences they had, wasn't expecting somebody to give me a 1 2 3 plan of how to convert one specific rifle,

I'm actually not sure which one I would want to convert to flintlock, I may wait a few months and just save some money and buy one, was really wanting to hear from somebody who done it and what their results were.

I've looked through history books for years wondering if anybody on the frontier ever for lack of caps converted their percussion to a flintlock ?
I changed a older dixie gun works to flint I wanted to be able change back. I used a l&r lock . I had to make a flash hole out of a set screw. I inleted the lock and flash pan was off quite a bit. I have fired it several times but doesn't seem to have a fast ignition. I am of the opinion that it's better to buy one that's flint to begin with. imo, Bruce

Thank you for reply.
When I have time I'm looking for historical accounts back in the 1800s of people having to do this for the same problem we're having today, they can't get caps.
converting from percussion cap to flintlock is because we have to use what we have on hand to send balls down range
I'm working on a nipple that I can put a small pistol or rifle primer in as well as a small plate with a sharp tit on it I can put in the hammer,
Small size primers are coming out of our ears and I might as well build an adapter to use them in place of percussion caps,

When I get some things paid off and finally get some money ahead I do want to buy my first flintlock , likely a rifle, but I still would like to do a conversion, have a rifle that I can put a cap lock, a primer, or a flint onto.

I’ve done several conversions. They were all different.
The only way to safely do what you’re wanting to do is with at least 2 barrels.
You could rig the percussion barrel with some kind of adapter or nipple to handle both caps and primers.
The other barrel will be for your flint.
There is NO safe way (in my opinion) to convert back and forth from percussion to flint.

Thank you for reply.
When I have time I'm looking for historical accounts back in the 1800s of people having to do this for the same problem we're having today, they can't get caps.
converting from percussion cap to flintlock is because we have to use what we have on hand to send balls down range
I'm working on a nipple that I can put a small pistol or rifle primer in as well as a small plate with a sharp tit on it I can put in the hammer,
Small size primers are coming out of our ears and I might as well build an adapter to use them in place of percussion caps,

When I get some things paid off and finally get some money ahead I do want to buy my first flintlock , likely a rifle, but I still would like to do a conversion, have a rifle that I can put a cap lock, a primer, or a flint onto.
dixie used to sell some rifles that you could convert between flint and caplock. unfortunately they don't have them anymore. I think they were early Pedersoli, as was mine. Bruce

There is NO safe way (in my opinion) to convert back and forth from percussion to flint.

It's called switch ignition. Done with a drum for percussion and a vent liner for flint, with a flat faced breech. Easy, and perfectly safe. My main rifle right now is a switch ignition. Siler percussion lock, L&R flint lock, Colerain barrel.

I have converted two guns. One was an older Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle that was made to convert as both locks were interchangeable as were the drum and flint vent liner. That one was easy and has worked great for the last 30 years. The other is my Leman Rifle built from parts. It has a CVA Kentucky barrel with the patent breech and percussion drum. That barrel was converted by making a flint vent from a M10- 1.25 bolt the same design as the percussion drum as far as the threads into the breech go. Then drill and tap for a stainless vent liner insert into the bolt. It was more trouble but both guns are safe and work great either way. It has L&R replacement locks that match the stock inlet. I use some anti-seize on the drum and vent threads to keep them removable and cut down wear. I don't think even the Dixie convertible guns were meant to be constantly changed. Mine has only been swapped 4 or 5 times in 30 years. Of course a careless person could cross thread or do a sloppy conversion creating an unsafe situation. Just know what you are capable of before sarting such a project and proof test the result.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m over cautious. Removable touch hole liners are just not safe to me. Thread them in and out, pretty soon the threads are buggered, and there goes the seal.
Just me I guess.
I refuse to hand a client a gun that I don’t believe is safe.

Here you can see my conversion from the percussion lock (which is a conversion from flint lock to percussion lock) to the flint lock. You can see the insert in the jaws to strike the cap on the nipple in the drum. it is easy enough to do. SE the pictures in the quote below.

@Wv_mingo327, the conversion from flint to percussion can be done. The flint lock will have to be modified for use as @tenngun describes. The end result is shown in my L&R Manton lock that was converted from flint to percussion.
View attachment 264653

You can see the remnants of the pan and plugs for the frizzen spring and frizzen bolt. It looks better on my rifle. I made a new touch hole liner and the rifle is presently a flint lock.

View attachment 264659

View attachment 264657

Replacing the CVA flint lock with a CVA (or Traditions) percussion lock would be far easier.

I am not sure of the configuration of a CVA Mountain Rifle's flint breech. I would like to see a cut away of the CVA flint lock breech for the Mountain Rifle.

Maybe I’m over cautious. Removable touch hole liners are just not safe to me. Thread them in and out, pretty soon the threads are buggered, and there goes the seal.
Just me I guess.
I refuse to hand a client a gun that I don’t believe is safe.
Doesn't really seem to be a problem with nipples.

See below

Attachments

• DSCN0518.JPG
    DSCN0518.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back