• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Rifle Availability?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 19 and have been hunting for 7 or 8 years at this point, all either through archery or standard shotguns and rifles. In the past year or so I've been looking to get into hunting with a flintlock rifle, partially for the traditional aspect and partially due to my state (PA) having its own flintlock season.

I've looked all over the place, but everywhere I look it seems almost no one has anything in stock (backorder) and many places don't even have anything for backorder. Since I'm new to the flintlock community, I'm not sure if this is a common occurrence, or whether it's due to covid and such, or whether I'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not looking for anything too flashy or expensive, just a well built and solid quality flintlock to start with.

Any suggestions on where to look or the best way to approach buying a flintlock rifle? Are there flintlocks readily available or is it always this difficult to find?

Thanks!
Posted today - FOR SALE - ALNIB Pedersoli Flintlock .45 Frontier $800 SHIPPED | The Muzzleloading Forum

Zach20 -- what county are you in ? Agree with Archer on DIXON'S pretty much on the border tween Lehigh and Berks. Famous place for the muzzleloading community. You will find factory made rifles. And see a few "custom"made hanging from the ceiling. After you've wandered around the store and have seen enough to get confused, go talk to Greg. I would suggest starting with a shorter rifle. I shoot .50's. Of prime importance is -- that the rifle fits you. You can change sights every week but if that stock design does not fit, bites your shoulder, is too heavy to hold offhand -- you just won't be having as much fun as with a better fitting stock.
fyi - there are three riflemakers in York County. One is a lifetime builder, maker, first rate forger artist, with a fine website. One of the other two attends and displays at the CLA shows. As does the first.
And I am very sure there are a bunch more around the state.
Must agree with previous posters encouraging and learning of muzzleloading rifles.
Yes to spending more $$ on a good rifle than having to spend it a second time.

We are wishing you well. Hoping your trail is easy.

If you have the luxury of time and patience you may stumble upon an estate bargain. But if your budget allows, you can get a custom new or used flintlock right now. The imports are great, but again, time and/or patience can get you a built gun for a good price.

Just all according to how much you want it and when. I bought all of my flintlocks in the last year and a half. I have five either built from parts kits, or custom built. In all I have less than $1400 dollars in them. Five guns from .40cal-.60/20ga for less than a single custom gun. I've been muzzleloading since age six, and I am approaching 40, but only just got my self all these flinters.

If you have the money and 6 months to a year, get a custom ordered gun. If not, get something more economical.

There are a lot more percussion shooters than flinters, so the quantities of flinters for sale are proportionate. I love my Pedersoli flinter Great Plains Rifle, but it is very heavy, better for a range gun than to carry hunting. A well made rifle, but you can certainly find good shooters for less....perhaps the Traditions Kentucky rifle, an older CVA flinter, or Lyman Great Plains Rifle made by Investarms. Investarms now sells several flinters. Try multiple google searches, Gunlist, etc. You shouldnt have any problem tracking one down with a bit of legwork...but probably also want to start tracking down black powder now, as the supply has shrunk after the Goex plant closing.

The revised, second edition of Flintlocks - a Practical Guide to their Use and Appreciation is in the works. I am told that it will be available shortly after the first of the year. Many people have expressed an interest in this book, and I will let everyone know when copies can be bought. The book is published by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. Thanks to the folks who left kind comments above
Keep your powder dry,
Eric Bye, author

I'm 19 and have been hunting for 7 or 8 years at this point, all either through archery or standard shotguns and rifles. In the past year or so I've been looking to get into hunting with a flintlock rifle, partially for the traditional aspect and partially due to my state (PA) having its own flintlock season.

I've looked all over the place, but everywhere I look it seems almost no one has anything in stock (backorder) and many places don't even have anything for backorder. Since I'm new to the flintlock community, I'm not sure if this is a common occurrence, or whether it's due to covid and such, or whether I'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not looking for anything too flashy or expensive, just a well built and solid quality flintlock to start with.

Any suggestions on where to look or the best way to approach buying a flintlock rifle? Are there flintlocks readily available or is it always this difficult to find?

Thanks!
Dixon’s in PA as a previously reply.
They will answer all your questions and have a wide price range.

With the flintlock specific season in PA, I have often wondered what one might find in the pawn shops after the season ends?
I would recommend anyone New who has not shot nor disassembled a flintlock before to take someone with experiance with you, check the rifle out thoroughly!
Take a screwdriver set, good flashlight or bore scope. Go over it Top to Bottom, Inside and Out.
If they refuse to allow you to take the Lock off - Walk Away!

I have gone with two people here to 'look' at a Pawnshop offer, one was total Junk; looked clean outside but I spotted rust down the barrel and when asked to remove the lock (which just didnt 'feel' right) he refused.....walk away!
Another one looked fine enough however, my friend did not notice the missing Set Screw between the triggers - no biggie, I can get him one. Then found one of the barrel wedges did not fit correctly - no problem, I can get him one.
He chose to buy that one but at least knows he needs a couple minor parts.

So a Pawnshop for a Firt Time Beginer should be approaching with caution.

@zach20smith, one more question: what are you looking to do with it? I see you're in PA, and you reference the PA flintlock hunting season. Are you looking only to take advantage of a few extra days in the season (which I think is totally worth it by itself, BTW!)? Or are you interested in making it more of an ongoing shooting interest?

I ask, because pretty much everyone here is deep into it, and before we go steering you into the deep end, I just want to make sure that's where you wanna go.
Thanks for the reply and question! To answer your question, I am looking to take advantage of the extra season but also would like to commit to using flintlocks almost exclusively. So I also am looking to make it an ongoing interest.

Thanks!

With the flintlock specific season in PA, I have often wondered what one might find in the pawn shops after the season ends?
I hadn't thought of that, but good point. Definitely will look into it following the season.

Thanks!

As a recommendation for an economy flintlock in 50cal that will permit your to participate in PA late primitive season, I suggest Dixie Gunworks Kentucky rifle. It is currently in stock according to their website at a reasonable price of $509. I built the same gun from a kit except as a percussion lock. The barrel is 1 in 66” twist and I found it to be very accurate. It is 7 lbs so reasonably light as well. Good luck. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the recommendation and info! Certainly will look into it!

I would recommend anyone New who has not shot nor disassembled a flintlock before to take someone with experiance with you, check the rifle out thoroughly!
Take a screwdriver set, good flashlight or bore scope. Go over it Top to Bottom, Inside and Out.
If they refuse to allow you to take the Lock off - Walk Away!

I have gone with two people here to 'look' at a Pawnshop offer, one was total Junk; looked clean outside but I spotted rust down the barrel and when asked to remove the lock (which just didnt 'feel' right) he refused.....walk away!
Another one looked fine enough however, my friend did not notice the missing Set Screw between the triggers - no biggie, I can get him one. Then found one of the barrel wedges did not fit correctly - no problem, I can get him one.
He chose to buy that one but at least knows he needs a couple minor parts.

So a Pawnshop for a Firt Time Beginer should be approaching with caution.
Thank you for the very valuable information and advice. I've gone the pawnshop route for guns in the past, but never for flintlocks. I have a coworker who has shot/hunted with flintlocks his whole life and could certainly ask him for help with that as well.

Thanks again!

Zach20 -- what county are you in ? Agree with Archer on DIXON'S pretty much on the border tween Lehigh and Berks. Famous place for the muzzleloading community. You will find factory made rifles. And see a few "custom"made hanging from the ceiling. After you've wandered around the store and have seen enough to get confused, go talk to Greg. I would suggest starting with a shorter rifle. I shoot .50's. Of prime importance is -- that the rifle fits you. You can change sights every week but if that stock design does not fit, bites your shoulder, is too heavy to hold offhand -- you just won't be having as much fun as with a better fitting stock.
fyi - there are three riflemakers in York County. One is a lifetime builder, maker, first rate forger artist, with a fine website. One of the other two attends and displays at the CLA shows. As does the first.
And I am very sure there are a bunch more around the state.
Must agree with previous posters encouraging and learning of muzzleloading rifles.
Yes to spending more $$ on a good rifle than having to spend it a second time.

We are wishing you well. Hoping your trail is easy.
GriscomRun- Thanks for the response. I'm in the very top of Montgomery County, about 25 miles from Kempton and certainly plan on visiting Dixon's soon. It sounds like they have plenty of options/types and also would allow me to see/feel in person to make sure it fits, as you had stated. I was leaning towards starting with a shorter rifle in .50 caliber and am glad to see you recommending that also.

I also am planning on finding a book or two to read and learn as much as I can about flintlocks before purchasing. I'll certainly look into the riflemakers in York County as well.

Thanks again for the help!

Dixon's is kinda like a candy store for folks who like muzzleloaders. Plenty of things there to get you all excited, books too. There's a general consensus here - a lot of people like those Thompson Center rifles- myself included. Still love my Pa. Hunter rifles but find I have difficulty holding either one in offhand due to arthritic issues. So, I use the New Englander for that. 45 and 50's are fine for all I do.

Great folks at Dixon's in Kempton but if you are out West a bit on the I-81 corridor Ft Chambers Muzzle Loaders Shop in Chambersburg is a great stop. Jim & Jack are always ready to help.

Thanks
O.R.
When I lived in central PA I spent more time in both shops than I probably should have. One time Jim was selling sassafras soap. I cleaned them out of it and Lube 103. I still have a couple tubs of the lube. Always went to Dixon's gunmaker's fair. There are some things back in PA I do miss.

I've seen this recommendation from many other people as well. It's about 25 miles from me so I'm definitely looking to visit there soon.

Thanks!
I drive an hour and a half to Dixon’s happily. It is absolutely worth it. Can’t say enough good about it. Selection, Education, Greg, etc etc. And the muzzleloader fair, which is sadly being moved just down the road, should be on everyone’s list to visit.

There only telling you Dixons is the best sort of shop. Because its true ! it is just that. I know that shop well & Im'e half a world away . You cant go past them So dont!
They used to have a photo of me on their wall hunting in NZ with a Wheellock , but you cant hold that against them,
Rudyard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back