• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For waterproofing bags leather and cloth I made up a couple of quarts of it along time ago its beeswax and safflower oil. I've used it for many years now. I just mixed it up trial an error till it was the consistency of stiff Vaseline. To put on cloth rub it in and use a heat gun or just leave in the hot sun. That seems to cure it. for leather just rub it in. Its pliable enough as is. Now before anybody say's anything. It hasn't gone bad stills smells as fresh today as it did the day I mixed it up.

Tinder-in-box-REDUCED.jpg
Fire-Bag-3-REDUCED.jpg

fire-bag-009-REDUCED.jpg
Fire-Steel-3-REDUCED.jpg
Can't remember when you told me you preferred the English flints but I just got a box in the mail today with 2 lbs of black English flints. They do through more and better sparks than the other stones I've tried. They sent some very large pcs so I'll get 2-3 out each one. That is if I don't mess them up.

A tinder bag....like the one posted in the thread
Sew 2 rectangles of canvas together, turn inside-out and using a heat gun melt beeswax onto the cloth then use gentle heat to melt the wax into the cloth. Rub/twist the bag in your hands to soften. The entire process takes less than an hour and you can say you made it yourself.

Can't remember when you told me you preferred the English flints but I just got a box in the mail today with 2 lbs of black English flints. They do through more and better sparks than the other stones I've tried. They sent some very large pcs so I'll get 2-3 out each one. That is if I don't mess them up.
Historical-clipped.jpg
Keith.

^^^^^ Yes !
Historical-clipped.jpg

Really easy to make Nessmuck, from either just one strip of leather, or two pieces; one longer than the other. I oil this pouch with neetsfoot oil. The top is simply rolled down. This pouch has been underwater with me when our boat got swamped on the Great lakes one winter, it kept everything inside dry.
Keith.

The lower tinder is punkwood, but the upper is Ryvardenia Cretacia, a bracket fungus. This fungus is a Polypore; I believe it also grows in America in some places.
Keith.
BF-ON-TREE-2.jpg
Now that I see it on the side of a tree I know where to look for it. I see a lot things that look like this on old trees that have fallen and have been on the ground for some time. I'll cut it off and try to char it.

Now that I see it on the side of a tree I know where to look for it. I see a lot things that look like this on old trees that have fallen and have been on the ground for some time. I'll cut it off and try to char it.
My char also contains pieces of shelf/bracket fungus (genus/species unknown) from an old, dead, rotting cedar. Once charred, it will hold a spark and is nearly impossible to extinguish.

My char also contains pieces of shelf/bracket fungus (genus/species unknown) from an old, dead, rotting cedar. Once charred, it will hold a spark and is nearly impossible to extinguish.
I do appreciate all the info. This gives me thing to try and play with. In other words fun. Thanks

Back