• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Titanium ‘Steel’ Hammer/Battery/Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone have any experience or input on such a thing? Titanium seems to have the capacity to act just as a steel hammer does but with a hotter white spark of titanium shavings from a flint. This chap is using a titanium fire starter of the same pattern as steel ones and it works well from the video.
I have an old Mac allegedly titanium computer case I could cut up. From what I can discover on titanium work a thin strip of titanium could be fixed to a steel hammer either by epoxy or riveting. Soldering is not an option.
As to why do such a thing, it looks like it could be a more reliable sparker than steel and far safer than the depleted uranium tried years ago. As far as I can determine titanium is softer than high carbon steel as in a conventional hammer so it might have implications for the stone being used perhaps?

Risk/reward? What might you gain or lose?

Gain: Small possibility of improved ignition without excess wear or other issues. Remember that friction fire sticks are designed to wear out, losing a lot of material that comprises sparks from scraping with steel.

Loss: authenticity and a proven system that has worked for close to 400 years in gunlocks and since Roman times or earlier with flint and steel.

From what I can discover on titanium work a thin strip of titanium could be fixed to a steel hammer either by epoxy or riveting. Soldering is not an option.
I don't get that part, why are you wanting to put it on the hammer?
He's getting less sparks but a hotter one, that makes sense,, but it's kind of like re-inventing the wheel(?)

Last edited:
DU was used at a facing material on frizzens for a while. It worked great but was probably a heath hazard. IT was banned from competition shoots.

A properly designed and made flintlock leaves noting to be desired. Kibler locks are in that category. My SMR locks work perfectly and you can wear a flint down to the nub and still get reliable ignition. Instead of re-inventing the wheel maybe a quality lock would be a better choice?

Indeed, it’s in the title!
Then he needs to choose, at least enough to explain his intent.
A "Hammer", a "Battery", and a "Frizzen",, are all very different things. And the topic vague by the OP,,
@rich pierce , with much respect, How would you choose to use titanium?
I made my choice, with a knee replacement,,,
I mean honest, a "shower of sparks" or one single hot one?
p.s. when fire starting, I don't throw sparks, I catch them. (it's different for those that don't know)

Last edited:
Then he needs to choose, at least enough to explain his intent.
A "Hammer", a "Battery", and a "Frizzen",, are all very different things. And the topic vague by the OP,,
@rich pierce , with much respect, How would you choose to use titanium?
I made my choice, with a knee replacement,,,
I mean honest, a "shower of sparks" or one single hot one?
p.s. when fire starting, I don't throw sparks, I catch them. (it's different for those that don't know)
I used titanium in a hardtail mountain bike back in the day. Later on, I fractured 2 thoracic vertebrae and got 2 titanium rods inserted to stabilize my back.

I’m a traditional sort of guy. Flint and steel.

I don't get that part, why are you wanting to put it on the hammer?
He's getting less sparks but a hotter one, that makes sense,, but it's kind of like re-inventing the wheel(?)

I think he is using the older, technically correct term for the part opposing the cock. As in the part you put a "stall" on as a safety.

I too have wanted to experiment with a titanium sole, but while the sparks burn longer they are far fewer and more difficult to generate than from steel. Titanium work hardens almost instantly if touched with dull tools so I imagine the flint would need very frequent resharpening. Worth a try though.

Edit: guess I should refresh the page before returning hours later to post, huh?

Honestly, throwing sparks from titanium is a curiosity, nothing wrong with it at all.
And may be applicable in some cases. How it applies to this forum with either fire starting or frizzen sparking is lost on me.
My apologize to all.
Titanium rules! It's the best!!
Can I suggest someone get a patent on the idea quickly? I'm sure it's never been dealt with before in all of human history,
, the concept is entirely new. It's almost like, Oh gosh,, re-inventing the wheel.(?)
I wistfully anticipate the arrival of our new metals introduction too our hobby,, I WANT that advantage!

It would appear that I have come to the wrong place to ask a polite question about flintlocks in search of enlightenment.

My thanks to the gentleman who took the trouble to defend me.

Last edited:
It would appear that I have come to the wrong place to ask a polite question about flintlocks in search of enlightenment.

I can give you a list of vitriolics to put immediately on your ignore list, together with a short list of knowledgeable, polite experts who manage to still be willing to dispense good advice and meaningful opinions from time to time.

Please don't take it personally. There have been a couple of threads lately that went way off the reservation so tensions are up.

Latest posts

Back