• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Titanium ‘Steel’ Hammer/Battery/Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to get back to the OP's subject. Yes titanium can be used for better sparking on a hammer/frizzen. However it should be high quality titanium. The grades of titanium range from grade 1 the lowest quality to grade 4 the highest.

From another forum the subject of titanium metallurgy came up and from all that I gathered was yes Apple did use titanium in their early Mac Books, however it was a very low quality due to the expense. Now in their very expensive I phone's they are using a higher quality of titanium in the cases.
Having said that, before I would try it on a flintlock, I would thoroughly test it out for sparking with a flint. Then report the results here.:ThankYou:

Last edited:
It was common practice to reshoe a frizzen as it wore down. Converting a wheellock to flint. A flintlock to percussion ect. Updating the frizzen face could be compared to using a modern knapped flint in a weapon made before flints we're being knapped in that manner.

Has anyone have any experience or input on such a thing? Titanium seems to have the capacity to act just as a steel hammer does but with a hotter white spark of titanium shavings from a flint. This chap is using a titanium fire starter of the same pattern as steel ones and it works well from the video.
I have an old Mac allegedly titanium computer case I could cut up. From what I can discover on titanium work a thin strip of titanium could be fixed to a steel hammer either by epoxy or riveting. Soldering is not an option.
As to why do such a thing, it looks like it could be a more reliable sparker than steel and far safer than the depleted uranium tried years ago. As far as I can determine titanium is softer than high carbon steel as in a conventional hammer so it might have implications for the stone being used perhaps?

More power to you. Those that want to stop history in about 1820 are welcome to stay there, but I think those old people would have experimented with anything they could find that would make things better. If they wouldn't have done that, they'd still be using a match lock or wheel lock. Why do you think that so many of them embraced percussion caps? My understanding is Hawkins only made percussions and it was at the very early start of that technology.
Squint

Well it is much safer doing that. Kinda hard to see the target though.
IMG_2773.jpeg

Back