• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield Barrel Patina issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe test some vinegar on the barrel where it is hidden by the stock. I aged a replica that was bought in the white when I was a kid. It took several applications to even out.

I’m using .575 minies and have one stuck right now. The pyrodex didn’t have the juice to form it and sling itz

nothing about this gun is blued. Maybe it was left in the white if it was a cadet rifle to be more of a parade rifle and range rifle but there’s nothing blues as is right now, before or after soap
I am among the minority who use minie balls. They are NOT easy to shoot accurately, but after tweaking them and much practice I have gotten under 3MOA benched with iron sights.

Pyrodex has a bad habit of losing power after sitting on the shelf I used 60grs of some old Pyrodex, and it sounded like a cap gun and hit 2 feet low at 100 yards.

Usually minies aren't too hard to pull. I've used a bullet puller, threaded into a metal ramrod. If they're really stuck hard, mount the rod end in a vise, pull HARD on the musket, using short hard strokes.
Use hot soapy water, not just soap.
Also I've wedged the rod in a tree fork, truck tire, anything sturdy the rod end fits into and pull hard.

Musket bores come in all sizes. Minies should slide down the bore easily, until the bore get badly fouled. I started with a minie several thousands under size, which is good training. Many target shooters use under 40grs fffg. They get more shots to the pound of fffg.
Good luck, I'm positive you're get lots of info to help pull the minie.

I am among the minority who use minie balls. They are NOT easy to shoot accurately, but after tweaking them and much practice I have gotten under 3MOA benched with iron sights.

Pyrodex has a bad habit of losing power after sitting on the shelf I used 60grs of some old Pyrodex, and it sounded like a cap gun and hit 2 feet low at 100 yards.

Usually minies aren't too hard to pull. I've used a bullet puller, threaded into a metal ramrod. If they're really stuck hard, mount the rod end in a vise, pull HARD on the musket, using short hard strokes.
Use hot soapy water, not just soap.
Also I've wedged the rod in a tree fork, truck tire, anything sturdy the rod end fits into and pull hard.

Musket bores come in all sizes. Minies should slide down the bore easily, until the bore get badly fouled. I started with a minie several thousands under size, which is good training. Many target shooters use under 40grs fffg. They get more shots to the pound of fffg.
Good luck, I'm positive you're get lots of info to help pull the minie.
I used an undersized mine and it’s completely fuckered. I’m going to have to send it to a gunsmith like Lodgewood or find someone local to get the breech plug off

If you have a mini that's under bore size stuck in the barrel there is absolutely no reason to pull the breech plug to remove it unless you have drilled a hole completely through it. I'm guessing that since you soaked the barrel in Dawn & water the fouling above the minie is completely gone. Muzzle upright put a little oil, WD-40 or Dawn down the bore and let it sit a while. If you have access to a source of compressed air take the nipple out and use a blowgun in the nipple opening. Point in a safe direction and not at anything you can damage as the ball can leave the muzzle with quite a bit of force. Use plenty of pressure and not one of those OSHA blowguns that are limited to 30 lbs. pressure. A rubber tip helps too. If, for some reason, that doesn't work get a grease fitting (5/16-24 thread) and screw that in place of the nipple. Put a grease gun on it and pump till it comes out (it absolutely will). Unscrew the fitting and with a tight oiled patch on your cleaning rod and jag push it down the bore, the grease will come out the nipple hole. Clean with patches and rubbing alcohol, brake cleaner or other solvent till all traces of the grease are removed and you are done. Good luck.

If you have a mini that's under bore size stuck in the barrel there is absolutely no reason to pull the breech plug to remove it unless you have drilled a hole completely through it. I'm guessing that since you soaked the barrel in Dawn & water the fouling above the minie is completely gone. Muzzle upright put a little oil, WD-40 or Dawn down the bore and let it sit a while. If you have access to a source of compressed air take the nipple out and use a blowgun in the nipple opening. Point in a safe direction and not at anything you can damage as the ball can leave the muzzle with quite a bit of force. Use plenty of pressure and not one of those OSHA blowguns that are limited to 30 lbs. pressure. A rubber tip helps too. If, for some reason, that doesn't work get a grease fitting (5/16-24 thread) and screw that in place of the nipple. Put a grease gun on it and pump till it comes out (it absolutely will). Unscrew the fitting and with a tight oiled patch on your cleaning rod and jag push it down the bore, the grease will come out the nipple hole. Clean with patches and rubbing alcohol, brake cleaner or other solvent till all traces of the grease are removed and you are done. Good luck.

Agree. Don't remove breech. Air may or may not work. Go to local Napa car store for grease gun fitting and buy a grease gun. It works really well.

Agree. Don't remove breech. Air may or may not work. Go to local Napa car store for grease gun fitting and buy a grease gun. It works really well.
Big dog, again I’m not trying to be an rude but I have tried all of that, the grease goes around it and so does the air. The grease broke my original grease gun so I bought another and it just went around the ball and out the end

Back